Holy crap, what happened to the price of helmets???
Exclamation 

I tried to put my old helmet from 2006 on and quickly discovered that my head has gotten way too big (insert your smart-ass jokes here).  So I figured "that's fine, I'll pop down to the store and buy a top-o-the-line Arai with some nice graphics for $500".

What the heck happened to helmet pricing?  Bikes have gotten cheaper since the early 2000s (accounting for inflation and all the nifty new tech) but helmets .... holy cow.

This was the basic black version and it was almost $700 out-the-door.  There was no way I could justify paying almost a grand for one with graphics.    WTFWTF

[Image: vqS765I.jpg]

I was wearing an HJC helmet when I crashed at CMP years ago. Its sitting on my desk these days, has 2 cracks in left side of helmet and a sticker that says Mike Kelly- Trauma unit.
When i returned to riding motorcycles, about 20 guys I had ridden with took up a collection and bought me a Shoei RF 1200. Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Kelly
Stanley NC
Triumph Thruxton 900

That is a great story. What an awesome gift.

I do remember doing a sort of "budget helmet shootout" way back when, and HJC was by far the cream of the crop (IMO).

(03-10-2020, 10:55 PM)mikek Wrote:  I was wearing an HJC helmet when I crashed at CMP years ago. Its sitting on my desk these days, has 2 cracks in left side of helmet and a sticker that says Mike Kelly- Trauma unit.
When i returned to riding motorcycles, about 20 guys I had ridden with took up a collection and bought me a Shoei RF 1200. Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

So glad to hear from you!  The big question is...when do we get to go riding again?  Here's a photo you might recognize...

[Image: piEq8hx.jpg]

Just to show that I am not crazy*, here's the receipt for my old Arai RX7-RR4 Read Replica.  A top-of-the-line Arai with graphics is almost double that now.   WOW

[Image: 0pRk4gX.jpg]

On a side note, it turns out the Read Replica was the best-looking helmet ever made, as proven in a world-wide poll of me:

[Image: LGu59ls.jpg]

*Admittedly I AM crazy, but not because I thought you could get a nice Arai with graphics for ~$500.

So I bought that helmet way back in early March because I thought I'd need it in the near future to ride our bikes home from the dealer.

Haha, I'm so stupid.

Shoutout to GenX for surviving the Boomers and tolerating the Millennials.

(05-09-2020, 09:16 AM)JustAnotherSquid Wrote:  So I bought that helmet way back in early March because I thought I'd need it in the near future to ride our bikes home from the dealer.

Haha, I'm so stupid.

What timing!  Ten minutes after posting that, the dealer called to say the R1100S is ready.  Woohoo! Dance

Now to fight the DMV to get it registered again.  I have no idea how that is going to work, but I'm sure it will be unpleasant.

Your kidding! Not a nicer group to deal with than the DMV. Smile

So far:

* One hour on the phone to DMV, where the nice lady pulled up all the information on both bikes and verified they could be re-registered but she couldn't do it over the phone so we would have to go to the DMV in person.

* Three hours at the DMV, where the nice lady said there was a tax hold on the R1100S and she couldn't help us but if I got it straightened out I was welcome to come back and stand in line for three hours again.  (The nice lady I talked to on the phone could have mentioned this I think but whatever.)

* One hour on the phone to Mecklenburg County, where the nice man said there is an $8.53 tax hold on the R1100S and they never bothered to send me a bill and he doesn't know what it's for and I can't pay it over the phone.

* One hour at the Mecklenburg County building on Freedom Drive, where I dropped off a check for $8.53 in person and the nice lady said it will probably be a month or two before they process it and remove the hold because China Flu.

Dance

I hated the government before this, but now I'm feeling something ... new.  I'm not sure what it is but it's much, much worse than hate.

I feel guilty for it but I had to laugh.

[Image: uqwVyX5.png]

They actually cashed the check pretty fast! I was about to head back to the DMV when a voice in my head (one of several technically) said "wait, they can still screw you over..." And sure enough:

* One hour on the phone to Mecklenburg County, where the nice lady said "Oops! It looks like the tax hold is still there. Isn't that funny? I'll get it fixed today!"

So next up: call back on Monday and wait on hold for an hour to see if they actually did remove the tax hold, and if they did, go to the DMV and stand in line outside (because China Flu) for three hours again.

This is so much fun. Dance

So??? Bikes back in hand? You guys on the road?

Current: 
Nothing. But I'll give you a box of cookies if you convince my wife.

Past:
1994 Ninja 250 aka Pimp Ride 
1985 Nighthawk 450

::insert wit here::

Despite the best efforts of the State of North Carolina and Mecklenburg County, we did manage to register and insure both bikes. Woohoo!

But BMW called yesterday and said KK's starter is fried and they'll need another two weeks and $250. You can't see it right now, but I'm making my shocked face.

[Image: Ny3FfIa.jpg]

Wow, riding a motorcycle is freakin' fun!  I bet no one here knew that.  Apparently I didn't, at least.   Sad

[Image: kr2KexN.jpg]

She's home, she looks great, and she runs like new (knock on wood).  Gotta knock the rust of for a few hundred miles and then it's time for a Mountain Run.   Dance

She's looking good

[Image: ZSXe9y8.jpg]

Went to ride the bike for the first time since bringing it home, and the rear tire was flat. Found this.

At this point, I have to assume The Universe hates me with a f***ing passion.

Bang Your Head

That camera ain't gonna fix the flat....

Mike Kelly
Stanley NC
Triumph Thruxton 900

Mike, I've been doing free tire changes in the CMR garage off and on since 2004.  Cool

[Image: HPCmqLg.jpg]

So it turns out the only Pilot 2CT in the country was in Nevada, and I'm still waiting on it to saunter it's way across the country.

For all of you following this story at home (Hi Mom!) you're probably thinking it's all bullshit, or at least severly exaggerated. But it's not. It's all true.

(06-16-2020, 08:05 PM)JustAnotherSquid Wrote:  Mike, I've been doing free tire changes in the CMR garage off and on since 2004.  Cool

[Image: HPCmqLg.jpg]

I think this tire change cost us both a fraction of our souls.

Current: 
Nothing. But I'll give you a box of cookies if you convince my wife.

Past:
1994 Ninja 250 aka Pimp Ride 
1985 Nighthawk 450

::insert wit here::