What do you do when...

What do you do when the weather is beautiful and you really want to go on a Mountain Run but you can't because it's your own damn fault for parking the bikes for ten years?  Well in today's case we decided to shoot some Sporting Clays.  That's allowed under the "stay at home" order - it falls under the category of "excercise". Big Grin

It's always funny when she misses the shells and they bounce off her face.   Big Grin

2001 BMW R1100S | 2019 Transition Sentinel Carbon | 2020 Guerrilla Gravity The Smash

Any reason for using an over/under instead of a side-by-side?

Over/unders shoot to point of aim (assuming they aren't crappy over/unders haha) and have better recoil management.  There is not a single (serious) sporting side-by-side made; sporting guns are either semi-auto or over/under.

When talking shotguns, "sporting" refers to a gun specifically designed for clay games.  The four most common clay games in the US are Skeet, Trap, Five Stand, and Sporting Clays.

2001 BMW R1100S | 2019 Transition Sentinel Carbon | 2020 Guerrilla Gravity The Smash

Thanks for the primer on shotty's! I've shot clays before. I'd need to practice a lot more to accurately lead the target. I'll stick to Nintendo Duck Hunt for now.

[Image: duckhunt-696x398.png]

I'm just going to say that is not sporting clays........looks like skeet to me.  I will agree on your point about over/unders.

The wife and I like the bmg over scatter guns.  Some slow-motion for you stay at home people.

?

Nope, that was Sporting Clays. Station 2 on the Creek Course at Rocky Creek, to be precise. You should join us some time; there are five really good Sporting Clays courses within an hour of Charlotte.

Nice gun you got there. Bet it's good for hunting rabbits and squirrels.

I will take you up on the offer to come out and shoot.

The sporting clay courses that I have been too look and feel more like you are in the woods. Is the course out at Rocky Creek just stages in a open field??

?

Awesome! And if you guys don't already have some sporting guns I have a bunch of Citoris to choose from. I'll call you the next time we start planning a trip. Smile

Rocky Creek has three courses. The Creek Course runs along the creek and is a mix of open and wooded stations.

Sounds good.

?

(04-01-2020, 11:46 AM)HighWay Wrote:  I'm just going to say that is not sporting clays........looks like skeet to me.  I will agree on your point about over/unders.

The wife and I like the bmg over scatter guns.  Some slow-motion for you stay at home people.

Wow, great form Winter!  That looks like a lot of fun!

(03-29-2020, 04:14 PM)JustAnotherSquid Wrote:  What do you do when the weather is beautiful and you really want to go on a Mountain Run but you can't because it's your own damn fault for parking the bikes for ten years?  Well in today's case we decided to shoot some Sporting Clays.  That's allowed under the "stay at home" order - it falls under the category of "excercise".  Big Grin

It's always funny when she misses the shells and they bounce off her face.   Big Grin

You should post one of your shotkam videos. Let us see how bad you really are. Smile
Of course you still beat me last time.

There are tons of people that will teach you how to hit birds in Sporting Clays but no one offers a class on how to miss.  I think I'm uniquely qualified to teach that course and am already putting together a syllabus:

Week 1: How to get way behind the bird, panic, jerk the gun way out in front and pull the trigger, and then pray.
Week 2: Pointing the gun in the completely wrong direction and then wondering what happened: it's more fun than it sounds.
Week 3: Missing birds is merely showing that you know how to think "outside the box".  Use this to your social advantage.

It's a work in progress...

In the meantime, here's a ShotKam video from our last outing that DOESN'T suck:

If i can invite myself count me in on that sporting clay trip. I have always wanted to try that.

i believe i can see the future
'cause i repeat the same routine
i think i used to have a purpose
but then again
it might have been a dream

(04-08-2020, 06:22 AM)chutch Wrote:  If i can invite myself count me in on that sporting clay trip. I have always wanted to try that.

Hell yeah man!  I'll call you too and we'll try to get a sixsome together.  Not this weekend because KK is helping her father, but soooon.   Cool

If the mountain bike trails in Hickory are closed Sunday, then the backup plan is to go shoot some clays with 2slow and Mrs. 2slow. Anyone interested in joining us?

I'm day tripping to the mountains.  Catch you next time.

?