Just got the Corvid19 message and...

..You guys are still here?! That's awesome! SACBORG is down for some reason but CMR LIVES! 

How is everyone? 

Any Meet In The Middle deals I missed in the last ten years or so? 

Here's what I've been up to. I had kids and got "skeered". Seems there are a lot of drivers of pickup trucks who "ain't skeered" or whatever. 

[Image: ochBsqLscmhZXXXB9]

[Image: 32SjxGo6yRLoCNFG7]

*** ... and my links from Google photos are busted. I'll accept advice on the fix for this as I'm sure there's a forum veteran who does this in his/her sleep.

JL!  SuedePatches!  It's great to hear from you.  Sounds like a lot of good stuff has happened in your life.   Smile

I too was sad to see that SacBORG is dead.  That place was epic.  Pelican Parts is still online but it's being carried around "Weekend at Bernie's" style.

I haven't swung a leg over a bike since 2008 but that is set to change.  Our Beemers are currently at the dealer being made road-worthy in exchange for our 401ks.

As for pictures, you need to link to them directly via a valid web address.  I use imgur because it's fast and free.  You can also upload pictures to the forum, but I think users have to click on the attachment link to view them.  That may be something the admin has on the list to change but I'm not sure.

[Image: gsehQ5r.jpg]

[Image: BLqCmyU.jpg]

[Image: X10a1FE.jpg]

[Image: doyqGOy.jpg]

[Image: XFtExh8.jpg]

JL, try this and see if it works:

JAS, yes I plan to look into improving the attachment functionality.

Let's try this again!

[Image: VF1CfT8.jpg]     [Image: 9kWgcc7.jpg]

I gave up motorcycling, like yourselves, about 12 yrs ago. I married and have had two kids since then. Once the kids came around motorcycling felt a bit risky. So I started racing cars instead. Hey, at least there's an ambulance 10 minutes away at all times, a helipad nearby, and I'm surrounded by metal. I used to race Miata's and almost died in one on the street as a huge truck ran over the front of it. I walked away unscathed but a foot back towards the door and we wouldn't have this conversation. I upgraded to even more metal and bought the 350z I'm tracking now. It's a riot good time. I still love motorcycles but track days are my outlet now. Carlos and I met in DC and he was talking a ton about using his BMW Z4 for a team event. 

What's happened to the people of CMR!? JAS and Karen, what's getting you back on motorcycles? That 401k trade sounds like a good one depending on what your 401k looks like.  Big Grin

Thanks for the help on the pics Admin and JAS.

JL: Husband, Father, Race Car Driver.  I did not see that coming!  That's an awesome picture btw, was it taken at VIR?

jledford Wrote:What's happened to the people of CMR!? JAS and Karen, what's getting you back on motorcycles? That 401k trade sounds like a good one depending on what your 401k looks like.

I know, right???  After the market crash the last two weeks the joke is on them!  I'm getting the bikes done for free!

I have no idea what happened wrt motorcycles ... just woke up one day and said "holy shit, I gotta ride again" and it's been downhill ever since.

Hi JL it's great to hear from you! So cool that you're doing well! I can still remember watching your TL fall over in s-l-o-w motion. It was sad at the time but it's a great memory now!

(03-17-2020, 04:13 PM)JustAnotherSquid Wrote:  JL: Husband, Father, Race Car Driver.  I did not see that coming!  That's an awesome picture btw, was it taken at VIR?

I know, right???  After the market crash the last two weeks the joke is on them!  I'm getting the bikes done for free!

I have no idea what happened wrt motorcycles ... just woke up one day and said "holy shit, I gotta ride again" and it's been downhill ever since.

You nailed it JAS. VIR. I consider that my home track. I've been to Summit Pt, Dominion, Rockingham, Caroline Motorsports Park, and some others. It's been a fun time doing the car thing. Definitely different than touring on motorcycles. Not better, just different. Have you been to VIR?

Free motorcycle maintenance sounds awesome. Big Grin

So funny about going riding again. The motorcycles just stayed around until it was time! What's the first trip?

(03-17-2020, 09:20 PM)KrashnKaren Wrote:  Hi JL it's great to hear from you!  So cool that you're doing well!  I can still remember watching your TL fall over in s-l-o-w motion.  It was sad at the time but it's a great memory now!

AH! It's hilarious now. Crazy thing about that was I recall the TL not being damaged at all! I think it was just tired and wanted to lay down for a bit.  Stick Out Tongue

Remember that torrential rain storm we rode through in the N. GA mtns?! That's the most water I've ever ridden a motorcycle through.

Never been to VIR. I had a track day planned there but then a few months before it I crashed in turn 1 at CMP and shattered three ribs. Riding VIR is still on my to-do list though. I've heard it is a beautiful track that is well worth seeing.

It took me a few minutes to remember who that was with you in those pics ... that was ZombyWoof, right? Do you still keep in touch with him?

2001 BMW R1100S | 2019 Transition Sentinel Carbon | 2020 Guerrilla Gravity The Smash

That sounds like a crazy ride but are you sure we were there? I remember riding with you at MITM in Virginia but I don't think we ever rode with you in Georgia. It doesn't mean we can't do it in the future! Smile

(03-18-2020, 08:04 PM)JustAnotherSquid Wrote:  Never been to VIR.  I had a track day planned there but then a few months before it I crashed in turn 1 at CMP and shattered three ribs.  Riding VIR is still on my to-do list though.  I've heard it is a beautiful track that is well worth seeing.

It took me a few minutes to remember who that was with you in those pics ... that was ZombyWoof, right?  Do you still keep in touch with him?

VIR is pretty damned amazing. They'll have car track days on one course and motorcycle days on another some days. Maybe we can work something out like that? Having me there would save you from having to ride your track bike to dinner. 

ZombieWolf! That's Tom. He's still in RVA and still riding. He's gone to the HD side. I think he's riding a full dresser these days.

(03-19-2020, 09:55 AM)KrashnKaren Wrote:  That sounds like a crazy ride but are you sure we were there?  I remember riding with you at MITM in Virginia but I don't think we ever rode with you in Georgia.  It doesn't mean we can't do it in the future!  Smile

HA! I might be confusing rides then. That or I think the ride we were on together that had us in separate cabins, we may have stayed different days. I'm not sure. It was awhile ago so the old memory banks are creaky.

North GA mtns is one hell of a place to ride. Gorgeous roads and incredible scenery. I'd recommend riding there.

We have ridden the GA mountains and I'm surprised we weren't there when you were.  Maybe next time.   Big Grin

[Image: Lpnxvq4.jpg]

[Image: aW0PW3E.jpg]

[Image: DqjR89n.jpg]

2001 BMW R1100S | 2019 Transition Sentinel Carbon | 2020 Guerrilla Gravity The Smash

I've seen the 350Z described as "twitchy" on several occasions, likely owing to it's short wheelbase. JL, do you find that to be true? I know it makes a lot more power than a Miata but it also weighs more - is it noticeably faster on the track?

(03-31-2020, 09:02 AM)JustAnotherSquid Wrote:  I've seen the 350Z described as "twitchy" on several occasions, likely owing to it's short wheelbase.  JL, do you find that to be true?  I know it makes a lot more power than a Miata but it also weighs more - is it noticeably faster on the track?

I've spun the Z just as many times as I've spun a Miata so I wouldn't call it twitchy. Mine still has the staggered wheel/tire setup, larger rear wheels than fronts, so that dials in more 
"push". "Push" meaning that if you enter a turn too fast the front will plow forward rather than turn and have the rear come around in a classic spin. Some drivers go for a square set of tires/wheels meaning they're the same size all around. This would create a car with a faster turn-in but also increases the risk of a spin as we've just described. Due to my moderate skills, I'll stick to the staggered for now. The downside to that being you can't rotate tires to all four corners. That's mostly a tire saving measure as racers tend to wear the driver's side front more than the others. I don't track enough for that to be a concern yet. 

As for power, there is no contest. The first gen Z with the least powerful motor puts down 287 hp and 274 ft lbs. Newer gens produce more. The NA Miata when new put out 116 hp and 100 ft lbs. The Z is heavier but acceleration is much, much more impressive in the Z. 

The Miata is the king of handling. Weighing in at right around 2k lbs is a godsend at the track. Due to it's lightweight and incredible suspension design there are very few cars that can run through a series of turns as fast as a well setup Miata on R-compound tires. I've seen talented racers in NA Miata's chase down and pass Corvette's. Call BS if you want, I don't care. I've seen it. I know it occurs. It's a humbling moment for the Corvette driver but one that shows the potency of a well-driven "momentum" car. 

The main reason I sold the Miata's and bought a Z was due to safety. I like to drive my cars one the street. I was almost killed in a Miata and after that decided having a larger car was good for my family and I. If not for that, I'd probably still drive the Miata I turbo'ed and tracked for years. I'm very happy with the Z as it's not a compromise. It's a larger and safer car. It has more power than even my turbo'ed Miata. It's more refined. It has a better resale value. I love the design. Nissan built a solid car as proven by it's long run and evolution into the 370. The 370 has been on sale since 2008. You could buy a lot less sports car for more money. 

How's that for long winded?!