Wilmington, NC

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
KK and I are looking at booking a place in Wilmington for two-three nights in November. We figure it'll be a nice getaway after the track-day season ends and we've heard the foodie scene is pretty good there.

I've been to Wilmington on business before but we've never vacationed there. We are looking at places near the intersection of Market and Water streets that overlook the river.

Is there some other part of town that we should look at staying in? And what are some of the "must eat" restaurants in Wilmington? Ideally within walking distance of wherever we end up staying.

This thread is mostly directed at RocketDan but if anyone else has any good input I am all ears! :)

AndyMX47

Definitely tour the battleship North Carolina if you have the time or interest. Last time we went we stayed in a hotel pretty close by.

JustAnotherSquid

Thanks Andy, that is definitely on the list! As an only semi-recovered WW2aholic I've already toured the carrier, destroyer, and submarine in Charleston several times. They are all very cool and all very different - although I don't fit in the submarine at all. It was designed for midgets!

boike333

Yea those tours are cool! The submarine is now gone to make a reef I believe.

Go to Robert’s Market just for fun!

Here’s a good link, I don’t know the food scene there myself.

RocketDan

The intersection of Water and Market is currently under construction. The Ballast hotel, Best Western, and Embasy Suits are on the River walk. The Ballast is closest to market. There are some Air BnB condos on the river walk too.

I will be honest that I am a little out of touch with the food scene these days. I haven’t lived Downtown in six years and Covid really slowed down our eating out.

There is a new cool area called South Front. It’s not walking distance but has a few restaurants. Might be able to take the trolley. Benny’s Big Time (Vivian Howard restaurant) and Butcher and Barrel. Plus a cool wine bar called a Second Glass.

Right DT has Fortunate Glass, I haven’t been there since it changed ownership, but I’m sure they still have plenty of wine. Beerbario has good tacos. Front Street Brewery has underwhelming food, but lots of people like it. Yosaki has good sushi. Circa has good Spanish food. Tarentelli has good Italian. Fork and Cork has good burgers. I like Bespoke for coffee. There is also 24 South for good coffee. Port City Java is just OK coffee.

My wife likes Savorez which is a short walk. Latin American style food. Go early, not a lot of seating.

North 4th street is walking distance and has a place called Palate I think you would like. I’m sure there are good food places in that area but haven’t tried any. Brooklyn Cafe has good coffee.

17th Street has a cool little container district. The Cheese Smith has some interesting sandwiches.

Breakfast food you have Dixie Grill and The Basics. The Basics is actually good all day. If you are willing to drive we like Brunches

And my house is near the mall in case you get home sick and need to look at a garage full of motorcycles and tires.

Last edited:

RocketDan

Go to Robert’s Market just for fun!

Here’s a good link, I don’t know the food scene there myself.

It’s Roberts Grocery. And it’s at the beach. Best Chicken Salad (that you can now get at Harris Teeter).

JustAnotherSquid

The intersection of Water and Market is currently under construction. The Ballast hotel, Best Western, and Embasy Suits are on the River walk. The Ballast is closest to market. There are some Air BnB condos on the river walk too.

I will be honest that I am a little out of touch with the food scene these days. I haven’t lived Downtown in six years and Covid really slowed down our eating out.

There is a new cool area called South Front. It’s not walking distance but has a few restaurants. Might be able to take the trolley. Benny’s Big Time (Vivian Howard restaurant) and Butcher and Barrel. Plus a cool wine bar called a Second Glass.

Right DT has Fortunate Glass, I haven’t been there since it changed ownership, but I’m sure they still have plenty of wine. Beerbario has good tacos. Front Street Brewery has underwhelming food, but lots of people like it. Yosaki has good sushi. Circa has good Spanish food. Tarentelli has good Italian. Fork and Cork has good burgers. I like Bespoke for coffee. There is also 24 South for good coffee. Port City Java is just OK coffee.

My wife likes Savorez which is a short walk. Latin American style food. Go early, not a lot of seating.

North 4th street is walking distance and has a place called Palate I think you would like. I’m sure there are good food places in that area but haven’t tried any. Brooklyn Cafe has good coffee.

17th Street has a cool little container district. The Cheese Smith has some interesting sandwiches.

Breakfast food you have Dixie Grill and The Basics. The Basics is actually good all day. If you are willing to drive we like Brunches

And my house is near the mall in case you get home sick and need to look at a garage full of motorcycles and tires.

Thanks Dan. I've been checking all of those places out on maps for the past hour or so. They all look amazing. The shrimp'n'grits at Savorez look like a must-try! Vivian Howard's voice is nails-on-a-chalkboard for me but we'd be interested to try her food anyway. And pizza ... ah wonderful pizza. Good pizza is God's own food. Does Slice of Life have a good reputation?

Breakfast and lunch we go light. Some coffee and just enough food to keep us going until dinner. Then it's game on. :D

We are looking at a few VRBOs overlooking the river. I can never get enough of motorcycle tires and I'd also like to see what brand of oil you have. :D

Last edited:

boike333

It’s Roberts Grocery. And it’s at the beach. Best Chicken Salad (that you can now get at Harris Teeter).
So confusing…..

Attachments

• 1E6D06AF-B2D6-4CD3-AE92-6155E0B62983.jpeg
    1E6D06AF-B2D6-4CD3-AE92-6155E0B62983.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 2

JustAnotherSquid

Dan, is cycling around downtown doable or more trouble than it's worth? We are thinking of putting the cruiser-style bikes on the bike rack and bringing them along.

JustAnotherSquid

Thanks Dan! We just booked a top-floor condo overlooking the river. It's a block or so from Ruth's Chris and Mellow Mushroom - neither of which we plan to go to!

JustAnotherSquid

I hadn't heard about that so I looked it up. Turns out that never happened but the old girl's outlook is bleak nonetheless!

Due to severe degradation of the hull the Patriot Point museum has on several occasions looked for an alternate means to preserve the vessel. On 10 January 2017 the Palm Beach County Commissioners voted unanimously to approve funds for the vessel to be sunk as an artificial reef. On 16 April 2019 a group of retired submariners sued the State of South Carolina to save the Clamagore. In early 2020, the museum formed a plan to sink Clamagore at the Vermilion Reef site before the 2021 hurricane season. As of 2022 the museum has announced plans to scrap the submarine as the cost of preservation is considered unsupportable.

boike333

hadn't heard about that so I looked it up. Turns out that never happened but the old girl's outlook is bleak nonetheless!
Interesting, a couple summers ago they said it was the last couple months before they pulled her out to sea, guess their plans were changed. Might have been the summer before COVID or something.

JustAnotherSquid

Interesting, a couple summers ago they said it was the last couple months before they pulled her out to sea, guess their plans were changed. Might have been the summer before COVID or something.

Google Earth says this pic was taken in April, 2021. It looks like the outer hull is completely gone in places, and the exposed parts of the pressure hull look like they are in pretty bad shape too. If all that is true then yeah, there's no saving her. Cost to refurb would be insane - not that I'm an expert in quoting WW2-era submarine repairs. I got a guy for that.

Aaaaaaaand this is now a thread about WW2 and/or submarines and/or shipyard repair quotes.

clagamore.jpg

AndyMX47

I hadn't heard about that so I looked it up. Turns out that never happened but the old girl's outlook is bleak nonetheless!

Heather and I were there last year - it was in rough shape and closed to the public. In order to repair it you'd have to build a coffer dam around it, dewater, THEN do all the external steel repairs - cost would be several million, no doubt.

The Battleship in Wilmington is actually resting on the bottom, and I understand it - also not a good thing - and the hull is rusting. Tour these relics while you can, and donate to help keep them around if you're interested.

RocketDan

Thanks Andy, that is definitely on the list! As an only semi-recovered WW2aholic I've already toured the carrier, destroyer, and submarine in Charleston several times. They are all very cool and all very different - although I don't fit in the submarine at all. It was designed for midgets!

I’ve spent the night on that carrier before. I was slightly younger then, but it was really cool. I was also much shorter then and that submarine still felt too small.