Track Day Was and kind of still is: CMP with PRE, June 4-5 *** But definitely is: Haikus

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
I can’t blip with out the magic box so I really have no room to talk…. Have you tried doing clutchless up shifts? Just blip the throttle enough to take the next gear? Same concept as a quick shifter, except instead of the sensor cutting spark, you cut fuel with the throttle.

Yeah both of my SVs have quick shifters but the quick shifter and/or gearbox on Princess is acting up. I was experimenting with shifting techniques this weekend to try to isolate the problem. All signs right now point to bent shift forks or bent shift dogs or whatever eating utensil and/or household pet magically changes the gears when I pull up on the lever.

JustAnotherSquid

Here's a few laps of KK playing with big bikes. Matt, I need to take a break from shitposting to get some actual productive stuff done, but tomorrow I should be able to go through the rest of the video and if there is more good video of you I will post it!

boike333

Hey hey hey now, who do you think taught her that??!?

I've been experimenting this year with not blipping the throttle on downshifts, as I noticed that doing it sometimes introduces small changes to my braking pressure. It's fantastic with a slipper clutch (Princess) but without one - on a big-ish twin with a heavy-ish flywheel - it requires a bit of brainpower to do smoothly (Pigpen).
I find it very hard on the track to blip and brake too. This guy I know encouraged me to try feathering the clutch out while braking instead so I’ve been doing that and it seems to work very well unless I don’t get it all the way out going into CMP 1 and then the wheel slips going into the turn.

boike333

READ AS
Your lines are great and your riding is super smooth. More seat time so you can start pushing ERIC!

bmart

seems to work very well unless I don’t get it all the way out going into CMP 1 and then the wheel slips going into the turn.
While not a switch, it shouldn't take a long time between lever in through friction point to lever out. And...you can use partial slippage too. No need to go full in to full out every gear. You're just using it to smooth the edges.

bmart

And...I like to use every gear, but many fast guys brake hard, grab the requisite number of downshifts, then release the clutch. Except for the pussies who use slipper clutches and auto blippers...

JustAnotherSquid

READ AS
Your lines are great and your riding is super smooth. More seat time so you can start pushing ERIC!

In a perfect world you would always be 1/2 second a lap faster than me and also at every track day we attend. :D

boike333

JAS do you shift from 3 to 4 between turns 2 and 3 at CMP? I can’t stop thinking about it!!!! Rrrrrr!

JustAnotherSquid

JAS do you shift from 3 to 4 between turns 2 and 3 at CMP? I can’t stop thinking about it!!!! Rrrrrr!

I'm in third through 1, 2, and 3, and then grab fourth on the way to 4.

That's with stock SV650S gearing.

bmart

Unencumbered by SVness, I'm in 2nd through 1, 3rd before the turn in for 2 to use power (not not a lot of it available in the RPM range yet and this is a GREAT place to outside pass), into 4th after turn 3.

boike333

Hmmmm. I’m catching 4 in the transition because I don’t love high RPM through the corner on acceleration. If I am slowing like through the kink I’m good. That explains why you also have a better drive going into 4 too.

THANKS!

bmart

That and my fitty-toof rear pizza platter sprocket!

JustAnotherSquid

That and my fitty-toof rear pizza platter sprocket!

I can attest that that giant sprocket does give you nice drive out of corners! For the brief times it is connected to a countershaft sprocket, anyway.

Last edited:

RocketDan

I was watching a few A group sessions from turn 1 on Sunday. The SVs that went through were going through turn 1 in 2nd, then shifting to 3rd through turn 2.

I go through turn 1 in 2nd. I hold 2nd through turn 3 then up to 3rd. Back down to 2nd before turn 4. Of course my bike has a much wider range of power.

Don’t be afraid to let the engine sing