Was: A thread that is only going to get worse as time goes on *** Is: A thread that is only going to get worse as time goes on

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Oooof where is the fashion sense? That handbag does NOT match that blouse. And those shoes ... yikes. Did he get them at K-Mart?

JustAnotherSquid

Since this is now a VIR North thread, in your opinion, who is at fault here?

edit - I was behind the camera bike. It was not a pretty crash. What you don't see is the rider bouncing and tumbling allllllll the way down the front straight. I heard he broke his arm but is otherwise ok. He is very, very lucky it was not worse and it certainly looked like it would be.

Last edited:

boike333

Jeez that’s scary! I’d say it’s always the rider overtaking, but I have no idea why the rider getting passed moved over that far after the kink.

bmart

Rider in front has the right of way.

Do not change anyone's trajectory (take their line) when passing.

We hear these over and over in riders' meetings and yet people combat those rules with comments like "but he was off line."

My $.02 (certainly worth less), it is a training event, not a race school or place where anyone is truly rated. I've heard CRs in all all orgs say the same. It could not have been clearer that the guy was moving right, and there was another 10'-20' of road if he really wanted to force the issue with a pass on the right. It was a bonehead move that ruined a fellow rider's day.

Seeing that the rider was clearly moving to the right, he should have been lining up a pass on the left in the (admittedly bent) straight, or on either side in the braking area when both bikes would be going straight (single trajectory, not changing trajectory).

boike333

What I want to know is what happened after that? What did PRE do? What did the rider that caused the crash do?

JustAnotherSquid

I’d say it’s always the rider overtaking, but I have no idea why the rider getting passed moved over that far after the kink.

It is incumbent upon us all to maintain smooth and predictable lines. The track is not our personal playground, right?

Having said that, yeah that is 100% on the overtaking rider. If you plan your pass such that you can't handle the rider in front of you changing his line slightly then you did not do a good job planning your pass. JMHO.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

boike333

Tangentially, the MT-09 that was taken out was the same MT-09 from this:

Are you saying the MTO9 that went down was the same one that almost ran you off track? And the R6 in the vid above took out the MT09?

EDIT, and do you know what happened afterwards?

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Are you saying the MTO9 that went down was the same one that almost ran you off track? And the R6 in the vid above took out the MT09?

EDIT, and do you know what happened afterwards?

Yes, the same MT-09 in both cases. I don't know what happened other than what you can see in the video and what I saw behind the R6 on the track.

bmart

I watched the incident again at .25x (gotta love YouTube options!). The poor guy had no chance. Physically caught the right bar of the left bike and shoved it forward. Totally sucks.

AndyMX47

Guy on the R6 made a very risky pass - never should have done that. Everything Bmart said is 100% correct. Remind me to stay very far away from the primer gray R6 at Patriot in Oct!

RocketDan

I heard about this on Monday but never saw the video. The R6 is Brad Farmer. He immediately told staff he thought he caused the crash. He was pitted near me so I also talked to him about it and we talked about how it was his responsibility since he was the faster rider, and the one making the pass. But I didn’t realize he actually made contact. I was of the impression he just spooked the MT09 and that’s what causes the crash. I know he went over and apologized to John (MT09). I am not sure who else with PRE spoke to him. But this should have ended Brad’s day.

Last edited:

bmart

And I held back from yammering on about the 6' rule. They tell participants that to leave a huge margin for people not knowing what 6' looks/feels like at speed.

1663940653247.png

This is a quite good exercise to show people when you put two folks on bikes and put them far enough apart to just touch finger tips. It is a long way.

Even if you're using anole feet...0' is 0'. :)

1663940732639.png