Track Day VIR North *** Mon, March 29 *** P.R.E.

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
A few pics of the damage to the suit. Is it just me, or does that look pretty drastic for a ~40mph get-off?

IMG_7863.jpg

IMG_7865.jpg

bmart

Each crash is different, but when you see seams coming apart...I'd be worried about the quality of the gear. I'm too poor for single use gear, but I but on the used market to step up on the quality scale.

This is the airbag problem. Great idea, silly expensive to me.

JustAnotherSquid

I hear you. We sent it in for repair anyway. What else were we going to do, throw it away? Sell it for $100? We may keep it as a backup, or sell it when it's fixed. Not sure yet.

She's got an Alpinestars Stella Missile suit on the way; that sure as hell better not be a single-use suit.

edit - not that I want to find out, if you know what I'm saying. :D

Last edited:

bmart

Sounds reasonable to me. I mostly try to ride in gear that is very protective. Still, I run some of my old stuff with less good armor, etc. sometimes. I run my super old cordura gear in the dirt, but I average about 20 MPH. I would not wear it even on a street ride.

JustAnotherSquid

Wow. Interesting looking track. Flat, too, so I'm surprised you like it. Those guys were hauling ass.

bmart

It is a blast, and a superb training/learning track. Let me know how your weekend is shaping up. i'm hoping to get out for a spin on something! How's Karen feeling?

JustAnotherSquid

She's chomping at the bit to get back on the bike and go to Road Atlanta, which is awesome. I ordered some Vortex rearsets for the R3 but they won't be here by this weekend so we are going to be mostly free.

You're pretty good mechanically, as is 2slow, so I'm hoping to talk one or both of you into coming over and helping inspect/repair her bike next weekend. :)

bmart

We'll do what we can! Did you see the weekday Road A everts with TrackDayWinner? I signed up.. 4/27-4/28.

JustAnotherSquid

I have seen that, but I don't think I can support TDW. Next time we get together I'll be glad to explain why.

bmart

Look forward to the story. I've heard most of them about folks running every org. lol

KrashnKaren

It is a blast, and a superb training/learning track. Let me know how your weekend is shaping up. i'm hoping to get out for a spin on something! How's Karen feeling?

NCBike looks like a good track to practice body positioning. I'm doing great! I just have a bruise on my side and I'm ready to ride!

bmart

Heal! We need you! Let me know when you guys want to get together. I'm trying to work in a spin this weekend. My dirt friends have abandoned me, so I may turn the two fitty back into a SuperMoto!

2slow

She's chomping at the bit to get back on the bike and go to Road Atlanta, which is awesome. I ordered some Vortex rearsets for the R3 but they won't be here by this weekend so we are going to be mostly free.

You're pretty good mechanically, as is 2slow, so I'm hoping to talk one or both of you into coming over and helping inspect/repair her bike next weekend. :)
You need help at all just let me know. Be glad to come by.

bmart

Sweetness! I can't wait to get back to it in a few weeks.

JustAnotherSquid

Except for the part where I'm failing miserably at getting my head down. I need to figure out how to wire up a system that shocks me every time I corner with my head up. And I'm only half-joking.

The guy I bought the bike from followed me for a session and he recommended I slide back on the seat and try to get my chest down on the tank and if I do that then my head will tend to naturally drop into position. He admitted he fought with being crossed up for a long time.

I know this is going to be a huge impediment to getting faster so I gotta get it fixed ASAP. Look at how good KK looks in the same corner.

Last edited:

bmart

Being crossed up is exacerbated by the fact that people used to ride like that. It was what was taught. Look at old photos from the 80s...