Track Day VIR North *** Mon, March 29 *** P.R.E.

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
What a whirlwind four hours! If I told the whole story no one would believe it. At one point things were looking so grim that they were going to keep me in the hospital for the weekend and maybe longer.

I'm still not sure what happened, but I'm home, I have holes all over my body, and I was cleared to ride VIR on Monday. :)

JustAnotherSquid

Apparently KK did not like the nickname "KillSwitchKaren". So she went out in the last session at VIR N and re-earned "KrashnKaren".

She lost the front end in turn one. Not sure what happend; she may have hit a slick spot or she may have been on the brakes while leaned over (she's not sure). All she knows is that she was carrying more speed than she had before and before she knew it she was on the ground.

Thankfully she's in good shape. The Cortech suit did it's job but every seam that hit the ground was destroyed, so it will need to be repaired. In the meantime we ordered her a Stella Missile suit to use at RA.

The R3 needs new rearsets but hopefully nothing else. I'll pull it apart this week and see.

IMG_7860.jpg

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Yeah, we've considered the possibility that it can't and/or shouldn't be repaired. We're going to send it in and see. If it can/should be repaired, it will be a backup suit. It did it's job but I'm not happy about how it came apart at every contact point

I crashed at a much higher speed in a much cheaper no-name suit and it performed way better.

bmart

What are your options for repair places? Some are pretty crappy.

bmart

I've had him clean mine multiple times and he did a good job. I've not heard anything bad about them...ever. Thier place is in the middle of nowhere!

I've made a few of my own over the years, but it is HARD work getting through multiple layers of Vanson leather by hand!

bmart

Avoid TrackSideGear. They destroyed one of my $2k suits.

JustAnotherSquid

2slow, if you're having trouble sleeping here's a video to help out. It was par for the course Monday; there were a lot of people with a wide variability in speeds so most of the day was spent in traffic.

The wide-angle camera flattens out the landscape and does not do the track justice. What look like slight elevation changes are actually pretty drastic ups and downs. It is a very cool track.

Yes, I'm still slow. Yes, I'm still a giant pussy on the front straight. But I was definitely more comfortable on the bike this time.

(edited for better quality version of video joined into one part)

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

And if you're REALLY, REALLY bored, here's part two.

It's shorter so the pain of watching it will not last as long.

(I joined both parts into one video and posted a new link above.)

Last edited:

bmart

A lot of good stuff in there. We can chat again if you guys are up for it. :)

You've got me excited to get back to it.

JustAnotherSquid

Awesome! It's great to hear that after all these years you're still excited to get out there.

Today and tomorrow are busy for us, but Thu-Sun we should be free. It would be great to connect with you.

2slow

Looks like fun. The traffic seems like it could be frustrating.
BTW. Nothing wrong with being a puss on the straights after all, the twisties is where the fun is.

bmart

Let's work it out. I'm nuts with work right now and am trying to get out riding this weekend. No offers yet...

KrashnKaren

I went into turn 1 too hot and thought I was still straight up and I think I hit the brakes but I'm still not sure. What was I thinking?!?! I know better to get all my gear shifting & braking done before the turn!!! What a rookie move!!! All is good and I'm ready for my mechanic JAS to get me up and running so I can make it in time for RA! Thank you guys for the well wishes! :)

JustAnotherSquid

Whenever you go in too hot, just lean the bike more.

If you lean the bike more, odds are good you'll be fine.

If you grab the brakes, odds are good you're going down.