VIR North Is Dangrous

bmart

Where: VIR North
When: Monday, March 29, 2021
Cost: $215 (less any membership discounts you may have)
Link: P.R.E. VIR North

I will be there, and KK has agreed to be the pit crew. (KK is going to do at least one track day in 2021, but not this one.) Anyone else interested in going?

Not me. I never, ever pay to ride North. Have fun!

JustAnotherSquid

CODE NAME: OO-LONG
Not me. I never, ever pay to ride North. Have fun!

:D

bmart

Meh. It is fun, but the risk there seems too high for me at a fast pace. A number of track day guys have been seriously injured or died there.

JustAnotherSquid

Out of curiosity I googled that, and the only motorcycle deaths I could find at VIR were caused by collisions with other bikes? And judging by the dates, they were all before the air fences were put out. I'm interested to know more, if you have any links.

edit - And yeah, it's a dangerous sport.

JustAnotherSquid

I'm gonna ask the admin to peel this discussion off to a different thread. He's pretty lazy though so who knows when that will happen.

bmart

I'd have to research, and that is unlikley. lol Most of these things are not published or even discussed on teh forums, whcih is a shame, as I think that some could learn from the errors made.

The track layout at North leaves people with a lot of turns which encourage/allow(?) riders to attempt a pass. If said pass doesn't go great, trouble ensues. IMHO, more so than any other track that I have been to. Turns 4-6, 7-13, and then there is the passing in 13, the kink, and 1 which can be pretty sketchy. It is a fine track, I just don't prefer it for my low speed and its perceived high risk.

Last edited:

admin

Overworked and underpaid
Staff member
I'm gonna ask the admin to peel this discussion off to a different thread. He's pretty lazy though so who knows when that will happen.

Oh I'm sorry Your Highness. Sometimes I get busy working on things for people that, you know, pay me and all. My bad.

Hey do you like trivia? I've got some trivia for you.

Question - When was the last time JAS got a 24 hour ban?
Answer - Right Now!

admin

Overworked and underpaid
Staff member
bmart, you can edit your post or thread title as you see fit.

mikek

Out of curiosity I googled that, and the only motorcycle deaths I could find at VIR were caused by collisions with other bikes? And judging by the dates, they were all before the air fences were put out. I'm interested to know more, if you have any links.

edit - And yeah, it's a dangerous sport.
my friend Dave Pisak crashed and died at VIR, it was 2017 IIRC. No braking, no downshifting, left track, crashed and was killed. A VERY experienced, healthy, track rider, we all assume it was a medical issue. No autopsy was done, motorcycle rider crashed and died.....

JustAnotherSquid

Oh I'm sorry Your Highness. Sometimes I get busy working on things for people that, you know, pay me and all. My bad.

Hey do you like trivia? I've got some trivia for you.

Question - When was the last time JAS got a 24 hour ban?
Answer - Right Now!

Haha! I'd dock your pay but then I'd have to pay you. :(

JustAnotherSquid

my friend Dave Pisak crashed and died at VIR, it was 2017 IIRC. No braking, no downshifting, left track, crashed and was killed. A VERY experienced, healthy, track rider, we all assume it was a medical issue. No autopsy was done, motorcycle rider crashed and died.....

That's a sad story. Or maybe not? Dude went out doing what he loved. I remember you saying he likely died of natural causes like a seizure or heart attack, and not due to any problem with his bike or the track.

Last edited:

bmart

One of the Cornerspeed guys had a similar accident in the last 1-3 years also (unless it was him). I ride there adn have fun, but I'm never near 100%.