Track Day VIR Full! Monday July 25 with PRE

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Holy crap, another track day is coming up! We've never ridden full so this one will be interesting.

We're going to bite the bullet and pay way too much for a garage. The North paddock gets sooooo hot in the summer and the garages are noticeably cooler. We will definitely be looking for people to split it with!

Anyone else going?

bmart

Have fun! I suspect they'l be running the (crappy) chicane in the long straight on the South portion.

JustAnotherSquid

Just changed the oil in Princess, and washed and inspected both bikes, and we are ready to roll!

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Only a crazy person would claim that the forecast looks good. But we are planning on going up there anyway because motorcycles!

JustAnotherSquid

Lightning was detected during the sixth novice session so they red-flagged it and started the thirty minute timer. The radar showed a pretty large and strong cell headed straight for us so we decided to pack up early and head home.

Full is interesting. I might like it more than North (maybe...) but definitely not as much as South. The chicane kinda sucks because the exit is slower than the entrance and it wouldn't be bad at all if the opposite was true. But it's still better than Road Atlanta's because the one at VIR is just stuck in the middle of the straight and not ruining anything about the track. At RA, in my opinion, the chicane completely ruins the flow coming over the hill. But to each his own!

We both hated full after our first session and were debating packing up right then. But we stayed and it grew on both of us.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

RocketDan slowed down to ride with me for a bit (it's gotta be hard going that slow but he makes it happen!) and give me some more tips. I'm still painfully slow going into Oak Tree and even slow in places I thought I was quick, like the last two corners before the front straight. Track Days are definitely humbling!

KrashnKaren

The chicane kinda sucks because the exit is slower than the entrance and it wouldn't be bad at all if the opposite was true. But it's still better than Road Atlanta's because the one at VIR is just stuck in the middle of the straight and not ruining anything about the track. At RA, in my opinion, the chicane completely ruins the flow coming over the hill. But to each his own!

We both hated full after our first session and were debating packing up right then. But we stayed and it grew on both of us.

I agree that the chicane sucked for the same reasons but I still think RA's chicane is much better since it's not as tight and more flowy.

I liked the high speed connector between the North track and bottom of the South track. That's where you could get a lot of speed but not good passing areas there. I found it was mostly trying to straighten the S's.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

The skies looked pretty threatening Sunday afternoon!

vir-skies.jpg

But a few hours later we got a good sign:

vir-rainbow.jpg

I'd been feeling nauseous since Friday and by Monday morning I was feeling pretty bad and seriously questioning the life choices that brought me to this point, lol. Thankfully the nausea finally started to go away around lunch time and today I'm feeling pretty decent.

vir-garage.jpg

boike333

I don’t know how this works with the orgs, but, if an org has the ability to run Full wouldn’t they have the ability to run the Grand course? And wouldn’t that be a much more AWESOME format?

bmart

No, if they run Full, Patriot is open to rent. Renting Full (the whole facility) costs more, and no one shows up...

Still, Grand is awesome!

JustAnotherSquid

When KK rolled in from this session she said something like "OMG I saw another R3! I had to follow him!" How did the battle of the R3s end? Only one way to find out!