Track Bike Ideas

JustAnotherSquid

CODE NAME: OO-LONG
I should have done that. Didn't realize until it was already on.

I cut off the tops of the ridges and used a hair dryer to get the remaining parts to lie flat. It doesn't look very good but it works well enough for now. At some point it'll bug me enough to warrant ordering another one. (y)

bmart

I'd never touch it again. I rode with duct tape over cardboard and under electrical tape numbers for many years.

Attachments

• 20190829_185713sm.jpg
    20190829_185713sm.jpg
    788.2 KB · Views: 6

JustAnotherSquid

Haha that is somehow completely fitting for that bike.

Turns out I lied when I said the Gixxer was ready. Going to have Andy at SMC Spec in Harrisburg toss on an Ohlins rear shock and freshen / respring the forks.

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone ever had any work done by Andy at SMC Spec in Harrisburg?

Last edited:

bmart

I've not heard of them, which isn't saying much.

I've tried a bunch of folks for refreshes and tuning over the years and always end up at Thermosman. I have two shocks and a set of forks in his shop right now.

Last edited:

mikek

Heard of him, I recall someone who was happy with his work, R6 front-end IIRC

JustAnotherSquid

How often do/did you guys change the oil in your track bikes? I used to change the oil and filter every 1000 miles in the ol' SRAD 600 but the guy I bought the 750 from was changing the oil every 500 and replacing the filter every season. What say ye?

bmart

Careful what you'll wish for....

Based on facts, I do mine every ~1750 miles with a top off 1/2 way to reenergize the additives. Many change theirs more frequently based on fairies. I sent mine off a few times to have it analyzed to get some good #s. 1750 seems to get to right up to the point where a missed shift or similar may happen due to a change in the oil. YMMV.

I think I've posted about this a N2...and suspension refresh periods.

bmart

How I found the damage in the clutch for my old track bike. It got a new clutch boss. :)

Attachments

• 04 R6-A-170410.pdf
    21 KB · Views: 2
  • 20171223_183101sm.jpg
    20171223_183101sm.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 2

JustAnotherSquid

How I found the damage in the clutch for my old track bike. It got a new clutch boss. :)

Wow, lucky catch! (Unless the whole reason you sent the oil in was because of the shifting problems mentioned in the report, in which case good catch.)

bmart

You may like this...

Attachments

• IMG_1528sm.jpg
    IMG_1528sm.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 20

JustAnotherSquid

I do like pictures of bikes! But I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be getting out of that one? Should I recognize the black Gixxer behind your bikes?

JustAnotherSquid

A few more old pics:

The look on my face was "should I go out in the rain on DOT race tires?" The answer was "yes" and I had a ball sliding all over the track that morning. :D

The phrase "monkey humping a football" had been around for a while already, but this was certainly a good illustration.

bmart

Nice shots!

That sevin fitty was my old one. I rode it...and the 400 (which I liked better!)

JustAnotherSquid

Was that a Hixxer or a Gonda? Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the 750?

Last edited:

bmart

Ha ha! It was like steering a school bus. I'm not very muscular and I couldnt' crawl around it to make use of my weight to help it steer better. Most raised the front. I had mine way lowered and still couldn't get that sucker to turn. At the end, I bought a 2004 R6. Stock. No mods. No fluid changes from the factory. I rode it faster right out of the gate, on ancient tires. For me...it was a bad 750 match.

JustAnotherSquid

I've tried a bunch of folks for refreshes and tuning over the years and always end up at Thermosman. I have two shocks and a set of forks in his shop right now.

OOC, what does he charge (ballpark) for a refresh? And what does that include - seals, bushings and fluid?

bmart

The price will vary based on the equipment and what it needs. Give him a ring. He's in GA.