Track Bike Ideas

JustAnotherSquid

CODE NAME: OO-LONG
It was something like "Dunlop riders get more cat" except maybe they used a different word for cat.

bmart, do you recall what the tire vendor at N2 events charges for a set of Q4s and/or slicks?

bmart

Funny!

Sorry, I don't buy new things/tires, aside from the insane sale I pointed you to. I normally run take offs.

Dunlop racing

JustAnotherSquid

Yeah, I've been to the website. Have heard the vendors at the track sell them for a discount. Guess I'll find out in March!

JustAnotherSquid

As of this morning I'm down exactly forty pounds since January. Feels good to fit in my leathers again. Is it March yet? Is it March yet? Is it March yet? I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. This is unbearable. :D

JustAnotherSquid

Thanks for asking. After an hour the suit felt broken-in already. (y) The boots and gloves though are so stiff I can't feel any of the controls. I'm slathering them both in Lexol as we speak in an effort to soften them up.

bmart

Are they too small, before you slather them (you coudl return them...).

JustAnotherSquid

Fortunately everything fits. I did have to return a few items to get to this point - there's a hilarious picture of me in an RST suit where the legs barely make it to my calves and the arms make it about 3/4 of the way to my wrists - but the public really doesn't need to see that. ;)

The boots and gloves are just stiff, as you'd expect from race gear. Thicker leather and armor and all that. The boots were starting to feel a bit more flexible by the end of the day yesterday, so maybe another ride or two and they'll be g2g. The gloves feel like they are going to take forever to soften up. I'll abuse the hell out of them if I have to, if nothing else to teach them a lesson in obedience. :D

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

This popped up in my YouTube feed this morning. If you're as big a nerd as I am, you will enjoy it:

bmart

Oh yea. Watched that when it was being done. Also got out on it in the car before my first bike day after the repave.

JustAnotherSquid

Terrible idea or great idea? (And yes, I know it's carbureted.)

bmart

They're lovely bikes...but why? If it was $1k, sure, but at $2500? You can buy an '03+ and not have to deal with any of the bad fuel issues.

JustAnotherSquid

If you read the thread he's down to $2000 obo.

Haven't seen an 03+ priced in that range, although I'd certainly go higher for a good example. KK's gonna need a bike too. :D

bmart

I would go hands down for the 650. I got passed on one of those by an AMA guy at VIR North a few years back. He was two up...really.

JustAnotherSquid

And with that, the Gixxer has officially been peed on. That was the last item on the preparation checklist, and I think the bike is itching as badly as I am now...

JustAnotherSquid

Thanks! Sadly the front one looks like total shit. Putting it on was like trying to put a flat sticker over the top half of a beach ball. There was no way to get it to lie flat.

It'll probably be fine though since people won't be able to see the front number plate as they blow by me.

bmart

Life for us flat earthers isn't easy, my friend. :)

A trick is to cut a slit from the center to the edge of the roundest side.