Track Bike Ideas

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Did you choose a track bike yet? If so, can we see?

It's a 2013 750 and I'm taking possession of it Saturday. Buying it off one of the P.R.E. control riders that is also in Charlotte.

JustAnotherSquid

A seven-fitty is where you belong! Congrats.

Thanks. Question for you. When I was doing track days I was doing them with Ed Bargy, and they weren't really track days per se, they were open practice for WERA. So there weren't groups - everyone there was either a graduate of the Ed Bargy WERA school or a WERA racer, and we all went out at the same time while the current class was in the classroom.

So with that said, I'm not sure whether to register in the Novice or Intermediate group for my first day. On the one hand, I don't want to be out in a slow group and not be able to ride, but on the other hand I don't want to be That Guy that holds everyone up. Do you have an opinion or any insight?

Last edited:

bmart

Some groups allow signup in the group that the new participant wants, but most put a new person in Novice unless they have a valid expert race license. Novice is slooooow, but it does give you a chance to get a few sessions in in the morning to knock some rust off. If you're out of your element, they'll want you moved up for safety reasons. It isn't hard to see, as a coach. :alien:

I didn't ride with you directly much in the mountains, but as you know from riding before, you'll want to augment the impressive lean angle with good body position to increase traction available.JON_3295sm.jpg3.jpg2015-08-27 gap.jpgbradandIdragonsunday.PNGcb17.jpg

JustAnotherSquid

I watched some videos of novice groups and yeah, I'm going to register for intermediate. I ride harder than that on the street haha. Plus, in retrospect, I was holding my own in WERA open practices (where passing is allowed everywhere) on a stock 600 (except for front brakes and a slip-on) so I should be fine in intermediate. Hopefully. Knock on wood. Wish me luck. :)

bmart

Intermediate will be fine and you'll likely move up quickly to advanced. It is generally desirable to move up, as the riders get more predictable. Intermedite is a mix of folks ready for advanced and those who just moved up from novice....so you can get anything. Be safe and go out first for open track, or last to spread out the passing opportunities. :)

JustAnotherSquid

I know almost nothing about track/sport bikes, but dam it looks Fast just sitting there! Cant wait to see it on the track.

It's only lightly modified, so it's not super light or powerful. It should weigh ~420 pounds and make ~140hp at the rear wheel.

bmart

Mine made 137 at the rear wheel with no internal mods or electronics, which was unusually high.

Good luck tomorrow.

JustAnotherSquid

Went on a buying spree this week - new tires, stands, spares, boots, gloves, onesie, back protector, helmet, etc - and now I'm ready to roll way before I had originally planned to be. And that is making crazy thoughts run through my head, like this one for example: January is coming up fast, and FL isn't that far away. :D

About seven hours:
Jennings GP Track Day Jan 30 & 31

About twelve hours:
Homestead-Miami Speedway Track Day Jan 23 & 24