Track Bike Ideas

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Alright guys, I need help. I am jonesing for a new (but not necessarily new) track bike for doing track days. I don't have much interest in racing, so the bike can be anything that corners well and is easy to maintain. But I've been out of the loop for so long I'm not sure where to begin. I am hoping to get some terrible opinions and bad insight from you guys, so fire away! :giggle:

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

I was surfing the WERA For Sale forums last night and noticed that there are a LOT of heavily modified (and expensive!) FZ07s for sale. The FZ07 doesn't strike me as an ideal race bike, so I'm guessing that it was popular due to some rules loophole? Maybe middleweight twins or something, where it was up against SV650s? I dunno. But they got me looking, and I found this:

No idea if those are a good foundation for a track day bike, or just an excuse to dominate a specific WERA class.

bmart

You are correct. They're donig well in the "SV" classes. Stock suspension is crap, but the bikes otherwise are quite nice. You can't really go wrong with anything w/FI and newer on the 600 front (Mine of '03 R6 models). Older GSXR front brakes are crap, but the rest of the bike is a workshorse. They take muscle to ride fast. Yamahas will handle the best and depending on the year will feel like you're sitting on or on them. 03-05 are the most user friendly with power everywhere. '06+ will make more power, but all of it up high until the newest tuned model, which is a bit more like the 03-05 with newer goodies and price tag. Kawis all make a ton of power and work well. Hondas are between the stable Suzukis and flickable Yamahas. 07-08 CBR600RR is just about perfect, but they're hard to find and rarely come cheap when you find one. The venerable Suzuki 750 is loved by nearly everyone; ~137HP and the same weight as the 600. There are a ton of good choices and buying season has begun!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 4
  • ASF_5973sm.jpg
    ASF_5973sm.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 4

JustAnotherSquid

Way back when, I originally picked a 2000 GSX-R600 despite it being the heaviest and least powerful 600 because I wanted a stable tank. Being a big guy, I find bikes that most people call slow-steering to be flickable, and flickable bikes to be too twitchy. Hell, even the R1100S is flickable, and that's an opinion that is in the weeds compared to conventional wisdom. ;)

Sounds like of the 600s, the GSX-R is still the right choice (for me).

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

On Cycle Trader, the cheapest local one is four years old and $8599. Hell, they have brand new left-over 2019s for $9997. I don't really want new, but for only $1400 more...

bmart

Buy older and set up for the track. That'll save you a few grand in suspension, braking system, etc.

JustAnotherSquid

If you stumble across one let me know! The modified ones I've seen so far are pretty pricey, and if I have to spend money to modify it I'd rather do it myself. But I like your idea if I can make it happen.

JustAnotherSquid

Started a convo with that guy and included you. By any chance have you ever seen that bike in person?

bmart

I wouldn't know. There are normally 100-150 bikes at any given track day. They all look the same after a while! (Except for the CBX I saw at one recently!)

JustAnotherSquid

So that R1 has a nice list of mods and it looks like it has been well-cared for. But, it has ~30K miles and it's likely that almost every one of them was at the track. What would you pay for that bike? :)

bmart

No idea what they're worth. Track miles wouldn't scare me off as maintenance is likely better. What are they posted for on other forums?

JustAnotherSquid

Well, hell. I was hoping he'd say he weighs 160 pounds or something and then it would be easy to talk myself out of buying that bike. ;) But it sounds like it's sprung perfectly for me. I'm still not sure I really need or want a 1000 - for example, the R1100S weighs way more and makes far less power than your R6s and it's still plenty fast for me - but damn, a bike that is ready to go for that price is ... kind of hard to pass up.

Last edited: