The Death of the V-Twin

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
I created a new thread specifically for this topic in case we ever needed a place to talk about kayaks or drilling wells.

The 90 degree V-Twin is without question my favorite engine configuration. The sound, the feel, the power delivery ... they are all magical and somehow perfect.

I admit that a parallel twin with a 270 degree crank is not a bad configuration. It's still no v-twin but it's good. And I get that from a packaging and cost standpoint, it's the better solution.

Still, this simultaneously makes me happy and sad. Sad for the obvious reasons. Happy because an SP800 could be an amazing platform for a great little track-day bike.

boike333

The thread title makes me sad…..will read the article! Thanks for passing along.

AndyMX47

I created a new thread specifically for this topic in case we ever needed a place to talk about kayaks or drilling wells.

The 90 degree V-Twin is without question my favorite engine configuration. The sound, the feel, the power delivery ... they are all magical and somehow perfect.

I admit that a parallel twin with a 270 degree crank is not a bad configuration. It's still no v-twin but it's good. And I get that from a packaging and cost standpoint, it's the better solution.

Still, this simultaneously makes me happy and sad. Sad for the obvious reasons. Happy because an SP800 could be an amazing platform for a great little track-day bike.

End of an era? Maybe,

RocketDan

Suzuki is definitely behind in the light weight bike category. The SV was class of the field for so long, but it has finally been outgunned by Aprilia and Yamaha. It will be sad to see the V Twin go away. Ducati will be the only manufacturer selling a non-cruiser V twin. Progress requires change.

boike333

Do you think that the reason they don’t update the platform is because they are getting out of the racing game altogether?
Suzuki is definitely behind in the light weight bike category. The SV was class of the field for so long, but it has finally been outgunned by Aprilia and Yamaha. It will be sad to see the V Twin go away. Ducati will be the only manufacturer selling a non-cruiser V twin. Progress requires change.

RocketDan

I don’t think that Suzuki is getting out of racing all together. But they are a relatively small manufacturer of motorcycles from a global standpoint. They don’t have the same resources that Honda Kawasaki and Yamaha have. And they are not pure motorcycle company like Ducati. They are also first and foremost a car manufacturer, even though they don’t sell their cars in the United States. I think they are shifting their resources to keep up with the changing automobile industry going to electric. so with the limited resources motorcycles takes a backseat. so development of new platforms in the motorcycle side of things just takes longer, and they’re only going to make things that are going to sell well. Motorcycle racers are ultimately a pretty small piece of the motorcycle market.

JustAnotherSquid

My understanding (which may be completely wrong!) is that the SV is no longer competitive because the current model is a porky little piglet. The third-gen steel trellis frame weighs a metric fuck-ton and there's just no getting around that.

According to Suzuki the SV rolls out the showroom door packing about thirty more pounds than the R7 and RS660.

At the WERA CMP weekend, the SV team next to us in the garages had a stripped third-gen frame. The owner had me pick it up. Now I'm no expert in the field of Stripped Motorcycle Frame Lifting, but I've done it a few times and I don't recall any frame ever feeling that heavy. It's a beastly beast.

As for the engine Matt, and speaking in general, a parallel twin is cheaper to manufacture, is easier to package inside the frame, allows for a shorter wheelbase, and moves the center of mass forward. These are all good things. What a parallel twin is not as good at is being cool. :cool:

boike333

Well obviously we like them because they are the coolest bikes in the paddock! Right?

JustAnotherSquid

So JAS is only a Yellow Plate Stripped Motorcycle Frame Lifter?

It's not that I don't want to move up it's just that I'm having trouble finding stripped frames to lift. I tried lifting the SV frame four or five times but the sanctioning body said only the first one counts.

bmart

Oh yea! My 1/2 of the scooter I co-own with Alan is in pieces...and has been for a long time. If it ever goes back together, I will do my best to not ride it full speed into a chain link fence like the last rider did. :)

AndyMX47

Since this has become the scooter thread, I thought I would share this:

My good friend and neighbor Mike did this ride last year, the link is his ride. No, I do not have any desire to ride a scooter across the country.

JustAnotherSquid

Since this has become the scooter thread, I thought I would share this:

My good friend and neighbor Mike did this ride last year, the link is his ride. No, I do not have any desire to ride a scooter across the country.

Haha that is pretty cool! But uh yeah, no thanks. :D

Also, the link indicates at least 77 other people did that in 2021. That's a lot of crazy!

Last edited: