The Culinary Thread (edit - also acceptable: pocket knives and flashlights - not acceptable: canopies and mathematics)

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
We didn't take The Bear to be a cooking show, but rather a drama that happens to be set in a restaurant. The part that didn't grab us is that we didn't feel anything for any of the characters. Like I said, we'll give it a few more episodes!

We finished up The Bear a few nights ago. It was fairly well-written and acted! And it was enjoyable to watch from the standpoint of Matt saying that it's an accurate representation of kitchen life. None of the characters grabbed us though. They just weren't very likable (but more on that theme later). We'll definitely watch season two though because compared to most television and movies these days, it's pretty good.

We knew we recognized the guy that played Carmy but couldn't place him. After looking it up he was on another Chicago-set show called Shameless. Shameless was a really good show for a few seasons but became depressing and hard to watch after a while, as so many shows do around the third or fourth season.

One of the things that makes a great show great (besides expertly crafted dialogue and believable acting) is that you have to be rooting for some of the characters. That is part of what makes Justified so great. You end up rooting for both Raylan and Boyd even though they are on opposite sides of the fight. But as I've said before, season one of Justified is uneven and I'm not sure the producers knew where they were going with the show. Season one does do a good job setting up the story, setting, and characters, and by season two the show hits the ground running, and hard. And it never looks back.

Last edited:

bmart

I had Chinese buffet yesterday at my favorite place. No MSG, tons of choices, and you always feel like you could get shot. I love that place. Leftover ribs later today for me.

20220323_113610.jpg

20220323_115634.jpg

bmart

River Buffet, between Home Depot and the Indian grocer in University.

My body tolerates the strangest foods!

boike333

JAS I am glad you liked it! Yea he was in Shameless, awesome but never finished as you said just got old.

Now have you gotten into The Great yet?

bmart

Did you buffet? I'd go with you next week or the week after.

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Did you buffet? I'd go with you next week or the week after.

I went for Redemption Cheese, Crackers, Ham, and Hummus and it was all pretty good!

I don't do all you can eat buffets. The problem with them is that I eat all I can eat. :D