The Culinary Thread (edit - also acceptable: pocket knives and flashlights - not acceptable: canopies and mathematics)

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
You smoke your steak? What temp?

I'll pull them somewhere around 110 (depending on timing) and then sear them to about 125. Then let them rest up to mid-rare. Pellet grills give a pretty mild smoke flavor relative to other types of smokers (in my experience anyway) so the steaks come out with a very pleasant and subtle smoke flavor.

boike333

I like this JAS! Your impressing me! This is also known as the reverse sear. We should talk in depth about smoking things. I am back and forth about how I feel about pellet smokers. BTW I have received word from above that we WILL be buying a new grill! Haha! I’ve been pondering pellet smokers but don’t know if the purist in me can do it.

JustAnotherSquid

On the plus side, pellet grills are cheap, easy and versatile. They are essentially a wood-fired oven. But I've never been able to match the amazing flavors you get from a Big Green Egg. I do love my pellet grill though and have had it for six years now.

Some day, when we either move or re-do our kitchen and add a covered porch off of it I'll buy one of those Eggs.

Early congratulations on your new grill! Gonna get a Weber or something even more upscale?

boike333

Probably a Weber. They have the best reviews and have owned in the last. I have to have a side burner for the charcoal chimney. Also want smoking capabilities with wood/charcoal.

Yea, we have to replace our decks too. Not gonna be cheap!

boike333

So you can also buy a cheap single burner propane burner and use it to light the chimney. It’s so much easier and way faster and waiting for them to get hot.

JustAnotherSquid

KK is out of town tonight so I get to eat my all-time favorite meal: cheese, crackers, ham, and hummus. And wine! It's a $60 bachelor meal!

Smoked paprika elevates hummus to a whole new level IMO. Hummus is something I usually make myself but eh, cooking is only fun when you're doing it for other people. Plus, Boar's Head hummus isn't bad!

IMG_9886.jpg

Last edited:

boike333

KK is out of town tonight so I get to eat my all-time favorite meal: cheese, crackers, ham, and hummus. And wine! It's a $60 bachelor meal!

Smoked paprika elevates hummus to a whole new level IMO. Hummus is something I usually make myself but eh, cooking is only fun when you're doing it for other people. Plus, Boar's Head hummus isn't bad!

View attachment 1321
Thank you for supporting our local grocer.

$50 bottle of wine and 10 in the other stuff? Good call. Next time skip the food and get more wine!

JustAnotherSquid

Yea, bought hummus is not my fave. Make your own or buy from Yafo or Kebab Je or the like!

That's good advice Chef!

Now I gotta figure out what to eat tonight. I'm thinking Chinese take-out because it's Chinese take-out but sadly we live in a ghetto and all the Chinese places around here suck ass. 🤷‍♂️