The Culinary Thread (edit - also acceptable: pocket knives and flashlights - not acceptable: canopies and mathematics)

boike333

Well the cherries were tart to balance it pretty well in my opinion. Worth $24? Not to me but it was good. Sorry I didn’t look at price cause I didn’t buy it! Give it a shot, it’s only 1/8 of a tire!

bmart

Do monkeys who can read instructions get to be chefs. I like the hats and can bake. (and I'm a monkey)

AndyMX47

I made the black bean burgers again this weekend. Added a little (a couple tablespoons) BBQ sauce to them - good stuff. I think next go, I'm going to add more, OR make black bean meatballs for pasta, switch out some of the burger seasonings to Italian.

Separate note - if you are looking for a restaurant to try, a cyclist (well, ex-cyclist, now chef) friend of mine, Bob VanAtta opened a restaurant in Concord called Table 11. Give them a try if you have the time. They're still growing and learning, but everyone that goes there seems to enjoy it!

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
I made the black bean burgers again this weekend. Added a little (a couple tablespoons) BBQ sauce to them - good stuff. I think next go, I'm going to add more, OR make black bean meatballs for pasta, switch out some of the burger seasonings to Italian.

Separate note - if you are looking for a restaurant to try, a cyclist (well, ex-cyclist, now chef) friend of mine, Bob VanAtta opened a restaurant in Concord called Table 11. Give them a try if you have the time. They're still growing and learning, but everyone that goes there seems to enjoy it!

Their menu looks pretty good!

boike333

boike333

It makes you wonder, what was the conversation that led up to that? "Hey let's go get a decent bottle of wine at the grocery store for $10. Wait! I have a better idea - let's buy some chicken and Nyquil!"
It makes me wonder….hmmm what’s the terroir of this fine bottle of NyQuil…..the fine sweet taste slowly simmered with chicken you can really pick up the minerals of stainless vat it was cooked up in. Really I can’t believe they chose to cook chicken in it instead of brewing up a fine batch of METH!

boike333

Outstanding! My kind of dinner!

edit - I've been thinking about smoking a brisket and I think you just put me over the edge!
I have done brisket in a slow cooker at work many times, but I have never done one at home. You have a pellet correct? My first guess would be smoke it and spray it for 6-8 hours and then wrap it up for the remaining 4-6 all at 210ish. Will be interested to hear how it goes for you.

JustAnotherSquid

I use the pellet grill to smoke a brisket a few times per year. (Also great: pork shoulder, ribs, standing rib roasts (yum!), and homemade bacon.)

I used to use all kinds of seasoning blends for briskets but the past few years I've gone back to just salt and pepper. I don't spray anymore as it didn't affect the end product that I could notice and all that evaporative cooling slows down the cook. Wrapping makes a big difference though.

The smoker supposedly maintains 225 degrees but in reality it bounces around between 200 and 250 quite a bit. I just stick a wi-fi bbq thermometer in the meat and pull it when it's up to temp.

boike333

Ok cool! I need to get a new smoker in a bad way. I have developed an affection for mustard basting all my meats before smoking them for at least a few hours, then rubbing. And I guess I don’t spray, but I do mop, a lot. I like playing with different sodas and vinegar concoctions. For me, I don’t know if it adds moisture necessarily, but it does add layers of flavor and develop bark.

JustAnotherSquid

I started with an electric smoker and then upgraded to the pellet grill. I LOVE the pellet grill. Having said that, when it dies I'm going with a Big Green Egg (or Kamado Joe - I think those are equivalent?).

If I can give any advice, it's just go straight to the Egg. Not that I've used one, but I've had brisket cooked on one and it was better than what you get off the pellet grill (which is still pretty good!).