The Culinary Thread (edit - also acceptable: pocket knives and flashlights - not acceptable: canopies and mathematics)

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Oh, also, know how they diagnose you with NASH? They take a giant needle and use an airgun to shoot it through you. They basically take a core sample out of your body and then look at your liver cells under a microscope. Fun!

AndyMX47

I think the title is intended to mean "how not to die from heart disease or cancer before you should" not "how not to ever die".

Congrats on your journey, sounds....awful and amazing. No core samples for me, thank you!

JustAnotherSquid

I think the title is intended to mean "how not to die from heart disease or cancer before you should" not "how not to ever die".

I'm interested in both subjects! Although the latter one probably involves doing bad things with your soul that you will later regret. But still, it would be good to know if only for informational purposes!

Last edited:

boike333

I had been making some of the changes described in the book by common sense. BP has come down from 140-ish/90-ish 3 years ago to 115-ish/64-ish for the last few visits. Cholesterol slowly coming down too, but I'm no saint and the call of the french fries is strong!

TL;DR version:

Eat more: Natural stuff - beans, berries (esp. blue berries), fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, esp. flaxseed (1 tbsp/day) and brazil nuts (1 a day), whole grains, drink water, and exercise.
Eat less: Animal products and bad fats, charred stuff, processed stuff, sugar, chemicals.

Hopefully all this crap keeps helping. If not I'll start eating bacon cheeseburgers every day and go down in a burst of grease fueled flames.
Nice, good stuff. Working hard to do the same!

JustAnotherSquid

New topic:

Ketchup belongs on hamburgers.

Mustard belongs on hot dogs.

Fight me.

Last edited:

bmart

Mustard is gross. Catsup (meow) is also good on hashbrowns...and eggs, if you're my mom.

AndyMX47

Where? I disagree. Both belong on both.
The chef is correct here.

But you add a pickle to the hamburger, and jalapenos to the hot dog. Or spicy brown mustard and sauerkraut on a bratwurst. None of which I will eat as much as I would like again (ever) because I have to sell my soul and use bar ends.

boike333

Well your in luck! It’s not mine but from a pie shop Up near you i think, ping me tomorrow and I’ll find out where it’s from. NOW. I can make a mean apple pie that’ll have to show you sometime, and not a bad carrot cake either!

bmart

Chocolate cream pie? Chess pie? Chocolate cake (we make a mean one). Angel food bunt cake (lime for me) too.

Sheryl eats more like you guys.

JustAnotherSquid

"The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, for example, does not approve of adults putting ketchup on their wieners."

"According to the organization, putting ketchup on a hot dog is “a disgrace and an offense” for Chicagoans."

Admittedly, any hope of sanity went out the window with this quote:

"The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council is a nonpartisan organization that promotes the health benefits and nutritional value of hot dogs."

But still ... they got the ketchup part right!

Side note: I went to an Oscar Meyer plant in Illinois in the late 90s and saw hotdogs being made. I've eaten maybe five or ten hotdogs since then.

JustAnotherSquid

And a quote from Hulu's show The Bear:

Richie: “What kind of asshole puts ketchup on a hot dog?”
Carmy: “A child, Richie.”

JustAnotherSquid

Here ya go!

Nice! Their menu looks amazing! I'd definitely pay $24 for a pie that was worth $24. :D How would you describe the sweetness level of their pies? I like them on the slightly less-sweet side. I've reduced my sugar intake over the years and don't tolerate things that are sickly-sweet very well anymore.