The Culinary Thread (edit - also acceptable: pocket knives and flashlights - not acceptable: canopies and mathematics)

boike333

I used the portable induction cooktop last night and am not gonna lie: first impressions are that it's a slam-dunk win for induction.

Granted, we have only had residential-grade gas cooktops (three so far) but all were top-of-the-line. Nothing like a Wolf though. But our experience with residential-grade is that it's hard to control the amount of heat (everything is either scorch or simmer) and the heat distribution is very uneven (there's one ring of heat and inside or outside of that ring is cool - even with all of our high-end cookware).

The induction burner heat is nice and uniform and like you said Matt, it is FAST. Way faster to cook than our gas (unless you scorch ... see above). Also, it has two modes - one lets you set the power level (good for things like boiling water) and the other lets you set the temp of the pan (good for sautéing or frying) and the latter works REALLY well. Set the pan temp and get to work and cook better and faster. I'm sold!
AWESOME! And I bet a permanent unit will achieve even better results! I also find that the heat range is way wider. I can take the remains of a whole chicken from dinner night before and make a great stock out of it, keeping the temp at about 135. Can’t do that on gas I promise. Now JAS my drop in unit doesn’t have a temp as well as power level, but I wish it did, and maybe they do now!

I’ll be interested to see what you buy!

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Now JAS my drop in unit doesn’t have a temp as well as power level, but I wish it did, and maybe they do now!

I picked the duxtop based on a recommendation from America's Test Kitchen. They have never steered me wrong and I've followed their recommendations dozens of times.

ATK is how I ended up with Cambros in my pantry! And Matt, you're probably the only one that knows what I'm talking about. :D

boike333

I picked the duxtop based on a recommendation from America's Test Kitchen. They have never steered me wrong and I've followed their recommendations dozens of times.

ATK is how I ended up with Cambros in my pantry! And Matt, you're probably the only one that knows what I'm talking about. :D
Nice whatcha got in Cambros?

JustAnotherSquid

Correct pan? Check
Correct fat? Check
Correct egg? Check
Correct seasoning? Check
Now it’s all up to the chef….let’s see how he does!

That pan, since new, has only ever seen four ingredients: butter, eggs, salt, and pepper! That was a tip I got from @2slow.

JustAnotherSquid

Nice whatcha got in Cambros?

Rice, flour, sugar, beans, etc. I like Basmati, Jasmine, and Sushi rice and if you don't buy those in bulk they are waaaaaaay too expensive. So I buy those giant bags and break them up into Cambros.

Holy crap! That thing fried the egg in one minute! A minute thirty if you count preheat time. I'm gonna have to relearn how to cook eggs. Edges were nice and crispy and yoke was still runny. It was delicious over a bed of home-made chicken and beans and rice and picante sauce (ok ok the picante sauce was out of a jar so sue me).

IMG_9955.jpg

boike333

Rice, flour, sugar, beans, etc. I like Basmati, Jasmine, and Sushi rice and if you don't buy those in bulk they are waaaaaaay too expensive. So I buy those giant bags and break them up into Cambros.

Holy crap! That thing fried the egg in one minute! A minute thirty if you count preheat time. I'm gonna have to relearn how to cook eggs. Edges were nice and crispy and yoke was still runny. It was delicious over a bed of home-made chicken and beans and rice and picante sauce (ok ok the picante sauce was out of a jar so sue me).

View attachment 1387
Haha, looks good chef! Eggs are a fave to cook!

JustAnotherSquid

And you guys might be wondering "how can it cook FASTER that makes no sense" and I don't know about other people but my experience is this:

When using gas, since you have hotspots, if you don't want to burn things you keep the hottest part of the pan at the temp you want. But that means the rest of the pan is cooler than you want. Also, when you add ingredients, the induction burner gets the pan back up to temp almost instantly. It's amazing and the difference in cook times can be measured in minutes.

JustAnotherSquid

A crazy idea just popped into my head ... why even spend $2000 on an induction cooktop? Those duxtops are $70 each and awesome. Three or four of those under a hood is all you need! And if one breaks who cares!

AndyMX47

My daughter brought home the "How not to Die" cookbook from the library yesterday.

Wife and I are reading the "How not to Die" (uplifting, isn't it?) book that is a collection of studies about foods that help lower blood pressure and cholesterol, reduce heart disease and cancer risk, etc. Pretty interesting (but simple).

Anyway, the cookbook is pretty good stuff if you're looking for ideas about eating healthier. Again, more stuff I wish I had listened to as a kid. Welcome to the old folks home.

boike333

My daughter brought home the "How not to Die" cookbook from the library yesterday.

Wife and I are reading the "How not to Die" (uplifting, isn't it?) book that is a collection of studies about foods that help lower blood pressure and cholesterol, reduce heart disease and cancer risk, etc. Pretty interesting (but simple).

Anyway, the cookbook is pretty good stuff if you're looking for ideas about eating healthier. Again, more stuff I wish I had listened to as a kid. Welcome to the old folks home.
Awesome! I’ll have to look into that as well, I am headed that way faster than I would like!

AndyMX47

Awesome! I’ll have to look into that as well, I am headed that way faster than I would like!
I had been making some of the changes described in the book by common sense. BP has come down from 140-ish/90-ish 3 years ago to 115-ish/64-ish for the last few visits. Cholesterol slowly coming down too, but I'm no saint and the call of the french fries is strong!

TL;DR version:

Eat more: Natural stuff - beans, berries (esp. blue berries), fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, esp. flaxseed (1 tbsp/day) and brazil nuts (1 a day), whole grains, drink water, and exercise.
Eat less: Animal products and bad fats, charred stuff, processed stuff, sugar, chemicals.

Hopefully all this crap keeps helping. If not I'll start eating bacon cheeseburgers every day and go down in a burst of grease fueled flames.

JustAnotherSquid

Pro Tip: You're still going to die. :D

I ate pretty crappy from birth up until 2003 when I was diagnosed with something called NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis) or "fatty liver". I quit eating processed food (which was pretty much all I ate before that) and started making as much as possible from scratch. I lost a bunch of weight and eventually got my liver function tests back in the normal range.

Then I started eating and drinking too much and put on 50 pounds. Blood pressure soared out of control even while on three different BP meds, I was pre-diabetic, and liver function tests started looking bad again. Even healthy food is bad when you eat too much of it! Two years ago I dropped fifty pounds and everything is looking good again - BP (without meds), blood sugar, and liver function tests.

Which is all a long-winded way of saying, keeping weight off is as important as eating right! At least in my case.

Last edited: