Static Wheel Balancers

JustAnotherSquid

CODE NAME: OO-LONG
Back in the day, the static balancer to get was the Marc Parnes setup.

I should have bought one back then but cheaped out and went with a much less expensive balancer that does not work with single-sided swingarms. At the time it wasn't a big deal, but now that more than seventy-four percent of our bikes have a single-sided swingarm it is. I'm not keen on making constant round-trips to the dealer just to balance a rear tire.

So with all that said, is the Parnes still the balancer to get?

This is what I have now:

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Reminds me of a boring story that no one will be interested in. We were trying to balance a new front tire for Droz32 and just couldn't get it right. After two hours of trying we got it as good as we could and then gave up and took it to the dealer. They threw it on the machine and said "huh, machine says it's perfectly balanced".

We learned that day to relax. The static balancer will do better than a machine. :)

Last edited:

bmart

A static balancer is about as simple a tool as could get. If the shaft is straight and the bearings roll, one won't work better than another. If you need somethign special for a specific wheel (like my VFR wheel or my old 748 wheel) then you need an adapter, not a new balancer. What is a droz32?

JustAnotherSquid

Yeah that's the issue. The shaft on my balancer is 16mm. Haven't found any cones that will work with that.

I should be able to reuse the stand with a new shaft and cones. If not, a pair of jack stands will work.

JustAnotherSquid

This was Droz32. He used to live down the street. Lost touch with him when I went back to grad school. His place is sold now and I have no idea where he is. :(

bmart

Ahhh, I thought it was a kinf of balancing tool. lol

My setup is easier/more logical than yours. The bearings are in the unit so any shaft will do. They are pretty cheap. Why not research what you need for your bikes and then ensure you modify/buy the balancer you need?

Many people use this, which is not far off from mine (old and made by Spec II):

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-balancing-stand-98488.html

Attachments

• 20201215_100038.jpg
    20201215_100038.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Yeah, I've done that too. Parnes makes cones/adapters for all of our bikes. Just wanted to see if there was a better option available now, before pulling the trigger. :)

bmart

A few options:

Not sure if any of those wllow the special size you need. :)

JustAnotherSquid

Just googled "us general motorcycle balancer adapter" (to see if they made adapters for our bikes) and it doesn't appear they exist any more. So I'm still coming up empty wrt options besides the Parnes. :(

JustAnotherSquid

The problem with the Beemers is you can't secure them through the middle. So to do it right, you need an adapter with the correct lug pattern. And BMW being BMW, all three bikes use different patterns haha.

Last edited: