bmart

I am certain that you can. (y)
Let's set something up. Sunday looks like another dirt ride for me. Meep meep

giphy.gif

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Let's set something up. Sunday looks like another dirt ride for me. Meep meep

giphy.gif

Have fun, but watch out for the Coyote! And maybe buy some stock in Acme.

I debated posting this but then realized no one could say anything worse than I've already said to myself. A few points I'm already painfully aware of:

• That guy in the video is a gigantic wimp on the front straight: I don't know why and I didn't used to be.
  • His corner speeds are all over the place: I exited every corner thinking "I don't know how fast you can take that corner, but I do know that wasn't it".
  • The on-off-on-off throttle thing: The difference between closed throttle and lurching forward on that bike feels like 1mm of rotation. I was constantly struggling in that range with too much-too little-too much-too little. It was frustrating and tiring.

bmart

First day on the track in...nearly forever? I think you looked great. Throttle aplication looked/sounded okay to me. For me, with FI, I have much better luck if I can get to neutral throttle before the apex instead of waiting until after. I saw a few early entries/turn-ins, but that is normal. We'll talk when we can align schedules. I have availability evenings this week. :)

JustAnotherSquid

Thanks, you must want $20 too!

We should grab a slice one night, or maybe go for a ride Saturday afternoon if the weather doesn't suck too bad. I'll have my heated grips on. :D

Last edited:

bmart

$20? You better catch up to the times. lol

We can do that, or you can drop by if you feel like making a trip. Whatever we do, I'm happy to help if you can. Getting close to time to prep mine for the season!

bmart

Good seeing you guys and catching up about your track time.

Here are two pics of reasonable body position from last night. Of course, you can find a ton on Al Gore's Internet.

Canon EOS R536980W0A3698sm.jpg

evgt-4317.jpg

And here I'm obviously not as comfortable...

ASF_5973sm.jpg

JustAnotherSquid

We had a great time last night! That's the latest we've stayed up in a loooong time. :D

I think KK's positioning looks pretty good. Mine is kind of like the one where you said you were uncomfortable. :cautious: Main thing I'm going to work on is getting my wrist up and my head down.

7i6G9pX.jpg

sFmiKxW.jpg

DgIZlFG.jpg

jLlaV1i.jpg

rhpmn8e.jpg

Qli2keH.jpg

Last edited:

2slow

Question: way way back when I road dirt bikes, I was told to ride on the balls of my feet. Does this hold true on sport/track bikes? I'm not even sure it was correct for dirt. I was mediocre at best.

I felt KKs riding position got progressively better as the day went along.

JustAnotherSquid

I felt KKs riding position got progressively better as the day went along.

The Sunday pictures were clearly her best. You could see the progression from Saturday morning, and by Sunday afternoon she looked great (and was carrying much more speed).

Question: way way back when I road dirt bikes, I was told to ride on the balls of my feet. Does this hold true on sport/track bikes? I'm not even sure it was correct for dirt. I was mediocre at best.

Speaking only for myself:

I slide the inside foot as far back as comfortably possible to avoid dragging my toes, and slide the outside foot forward to a comfortable balancing position. I try to weight the pegs (and bars) as little as possible.

On a dirt bike you support your body weight with your feet; on a road bike not so much.

bmart

It'll depend on what you're doing. If you want to shift or use the rear brake...that won't work. I generally have them on the balls unless I am going to need to shift. There's a LOT of talk about foot placement and position these days in the race schools. I'm not intereted in finding out my potential and just go out to have fun, so I ride how my broken body is comfortable. lol My feet are not the cause of my sub standard lap times!

2slow

Thanks squid and bmart.

That all makes sense. I know on the 2 strokes I rode, I was constantly shifting. After my post I decided to look up some pictures of some Moto GP riders. Turns out they're all over the place. Found a few pictures of Valentino Rossi with his heel on the peg. Of course he's no Justanothersquid.

bmart

When you hear rigid training from anyone, it is usually best to leave the room. People are different. Bikes are different. Conditions are always changing. It is better to teach folks what something causes ro can be used for and let them work with that to build their toolbox.

One of the really fun parts about being a coach is trying to collect data on what people are doing while you follow them so that you can convey it once you pull into the pits. With a failing memory, it isn't getting easier! lol

JustAnotherSquid

Holy crap that looks awkward! But maybe it works great.

Reminds of a famous airplane designer quote that I can't quite remember but went something like this: "if it looks right, it is right".

Also reminds me of another famous airplane quote: "Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!"

2slow

Hell, I had the Ultra leaned over just like that up on 441 just outside of Gatlinburg. Of course I was in a parking lot with 2 guys trying to pick it up off of me. And Yes it was awkward! I'm pretty sure my foot placement was incorrect. Let me know if you need some pointers. I'm just here to help. :)

bmart

Reminds of a famous airplane designer quote that I can't quite remember but went something like this: "if it looks right, it is right".

Also reminds me of another famous airplane quote: "Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!"
What's your vector, Victor?

JustAnotherSquid

It's starting to point towards RRR. I hate having left there feeling defeated.

After watching the videos I know where to make up HUGE chunks of time. I want a rematch. :D