Track Day Road Atlanta *** Sat-Sun, April 17-18 *** P.R.E.

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Post the video or be banished to the Bog of Eternal Stench! (know what movie that was from???)

No, had to Google it! But if you know of another swamp whose three primary dangers are flame spurts, lightning sand, and R.O.U.S.s (I don't think they exist) then you're my kind of people!

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

As always, watching the video is helping me remember exactly what happened. A few comments before y'all dig in and start laughing:

Keep in mind that this was my first time at RA. Approaching turn one I realized two things:

1) I can't see where I'm going.
-and-
2) I have no idea where I'm supposed to be going.

That's not a very good combination of things. From turn one all the way until the crash, I was lost, and it finally caught up to me coming out of the chicane. Seeing turn 5 directly ahead confused me for a second, and I looked to the right briefly when the track went left. That was all it took.

Being unfamiliar with the track, I should not have passed the control rider when she waved me by. Instead, I should have signaled that I was going to follow her some more. It was 100% my fault, and lesson learned - the hard way.

Last edited:

bmart

You're right in the things you said. Definitely got lost. Definitely should have gotten more miles in with the orange shirt in front. Drat.

Still, there's a lot to learn in even that short video. We can discuss if/when you like; your line choice was...creative. :)

2slow

Well I don't have a lot to add. It was very obvious you were lost. I liked bmart's comment about the creative line choice. I will add that the video is very deceiving after your in the grass. You covered way more distance than it appears. I walked it quite a few times looking for your tach. I would guess it near 100 ft. It looked like you were going to make it from where we were standing. And yes there was no ditch, however that ground was very rough with lots of deep holes. And you added a few new holes.

JustAnotherSquid

There were no line choices ... there was just trying to figure out which way the track went. From turn one all the way until the crash.

JustAnotherSquid

Now this is pretty funny! Open it in a new window so you can see it full screen, and start around 2:45 if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

2slow

I know it was only a few seconds, however seemed you were not moving a long time. Had us worried. I did like the double thumbs up. 👍

JustAnotherSquid

Hey on the bright side, the one and only visual cue I knew on the entire track - the yellow spot under the bridge - nailed it!!! :D

Kinda wish there had been bridges before all the corners. :(

Last edited:

bmart

You looked good under the yellow! (So...you were listening! LOL)

KrashnKaren

You looked good under the yellow! (So...you were listening! LOL)

Thank you for telling us about the yellow dot before our track day! I used it every time and it really helped me coming over the blind hill.

KrashnKaren

If you start the video at 0:44 you'll see a rider in front of you that you are somewhat following and due to the elevation change, the next time you see him it makes you want to follow him to the right even though the track goes left. I bet that was a contributing factor! I had the same thing happen to me a few times but by then I knew where I was supposed to go.

bmart

Thank you for telling us about the yellow dot before our track day! I used it every time and it really helped me coming over the blind hill.
Did you have fun? Learn anything good? Reach top speed? :)

JustAnotherSquid

If you start the video at 0:44 you'll see a rider in front of you that you are somewhat following and due to the elevation change, the next time you see him it makes you want to follow him to the right even though the track goes left. I bet that was a contributing factor! I had the same thing happen to me a few times but by then I knew where I was supposed to go.

From the always surprising 'List Of Things I Thought Would Never Happen':

#447: Your wife giving you tips on how to get around Road Atlanta better

KrashnKaren

Did you have fun? Learn anything good? Reach top speed? :)

I really enjoyed the Sunday mid afternoon sessions! I felt like I was getting in the groove of the track by then. I did not reach my top speed yet, I was a little cautious since there were about 10 crashes on Sunday. This track doesn't teach you to hang off as much as know your lines until they become muscle memory, trust blind views, ignore illusions, pucker up and repeat.

bmart

Huge variations in speed and one must look where one wants to go, one or two corners up. CMP is like that and is a very visual track...even now that the surface is mostly one color instead of 50. (All of my visual markers are gone now!)

VIR South and Patriot (even north some some extent) are reliant on the rider having intimate knowledge of the track to go fast. South is primarily built of blind entry, late apex, off camber exit turns.

JustAnotherSquid

Ever since crashing at RA I've been extremely tired and low-energy every day. I know the obvious answer would be "concussion" but I don't think I hit my head and have no other symptoms.

Today is the first day that I'm feeling like I have energy. It's very odd. Anyway, I just mention it to see if anyone else has experienced anything like that before.

I googled it and found out a lot about auto accident attorneys but not so much about actual causes. :D

Last edited: