Track Day Road Atlanta *** Sat-Sun, April 17-18 *** P.R.E.

JustAnotherSquid

Actively crashing motorcycles
Question for you more knowledgeable types (which would be pretty much everyone on the planet): the right-side throttle/switch assembly now rotates freely on the clip-on. Do OEM assemblies usually have a pin or something to hold them in place? If so, is the best solution to buy a new switch/throttle housing? OEM is $160.

edit - I'd been contemplating upgrading the master cylinder and throttle assembly anyway, and that would mostly solve the problem. If the switch housing rotates a little but is disconnected from the throttle assembly, then who cares, right?

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

I'm not sure that it will make you feel any better but...the first time I ran Road A with the chicane after turn 1 no one told me we were runnging the chicane instead of the normal line. They asked me to go out first and lead. I came to the top of the hill at full speed and holy %#&*, where' teh track go. The a$$ end was up in the air and I was lucky enough to save it and stay leading. Scary time! This is a reason I always as if the group is running the chicane or not (Road A, Patriot, NC Bike, etc.)

I guess that helps some, thanks. Would have been better if you'd peed your leathers a little. :D

bmart

Question for you more knowledgeable types (which would be pretty much everyone on the planet): the right-side throttle/switch assembly now rotates freely on the clip-on. Do OEM assemblies usually have a pin or something to hold them in place? If so, is the best solution to buy a new switch/throttle housing? OEM is $160.

edit - I'd been contemplating upgrading the master cylinder and throttle assembly anyway, and that would mostly solve the problem. If the switch housing rotates a little but is disconnected from the throttle assembly, then who cares, right?

Will Yamaha master and caliper bolt on? If so, i'd do that and never look back.

The OEM plastic bits have a plastic pin that goes into a hole in the stock bars.

JustAnotherSquid

Will Yamaha master and caliper bolt on? If so, i'd do that and never look back.

The OEM plastic bits have a plastic pin that goes into a hole in the stock bars.

First part: dunno. I'll look into it but probably won't do an upgrade like that right now.

Second part: the Motion Pro Revolver is out of stock everywhere and back-ordered for 4-6 months. Months! So I'm back to either fixing or replacing the stock switch/throttle assembly. Does anyone have any suggestions one way or the other? The pin must have sheared off.

Third part that no one asked: No bodywork for the Gixxer available anywhere. :( Not even Hotbodies, which I was willing to stoop to just to get the bike ready for May 8-9. Does CMP sound like fun on a naked Gixxer?

2slow

Second part: the Motion Pro Revolver is out of stock everywhere and back-ordered for 4-6 months. Months! So I'm back to either fixing or replacing the stock switch/throttle assembly. Does anyone have any suggestions one way or the other? The pin must have sheared off.
I did a little research online. I feel like we can fix it with very little effort. However, I've not seen it. If you want, Let me know a good time and I'll come by, pull it apart and take a look.

bmart

Uno: I think that I bought mine for nearly nothing and it came with pads. lol

Deux: Asian made, I suspect. You'd think that the U.S. would learn to make things in both places so that we aren't w100% reliant. And they're worried about Corona...the least of our worries. . You could drill a hole in the plastic (assuming there is one in the bar) and put a small pin in there. Heck, it could be anything; a dowel even. I despise most aftermarket pahts...don't get me started. I'm not sure that I've even been at a track day where someone wasn't fighting their quickshifter (not aptly named).

Tre: You'll feel the wind blast, and components won't be protected (won't matter if you don't crash). A lot of folks ride naked bikes at CMP. You, however, must wear pantalones.

JustAnotherSquid

I did a little research online. I feel like we can fix it with very little effort. However, I've not seen it. If you want, Let me know a good time and I'll come by, pull it apart and take a look.

Thanks. I'd like to get started this weekend if the weather cooperates. There's so much to do, from pulling the tires and cleaning the beads to vacuuming the turf out of the airbox. Your help is always invaluable.

bmart

I'll bite (not your toes). Clean the beads? Did they lose air?

JustAnotherSquid

Road Atlanta used to have nice grass. It's now all crammed into the beads of my tires.

Your guess is as good as mine.

mikek

First part: dunno. I'll look into it but probably won't do an upgrade like that right now.

Third part that no one asked: No bodywork for the Gixxer available anywhere. :( Not even Hotbodies, which I was willing to stoop to just to get the bike ready for May 8-9. Does CMP sound like fun on a naked Gixxer?
I have a set of bodywork I bought years ago for my GSXR1100, you want it? It does have headline holes, good shape.

JustAnotherSquid

I have a set of bodywork I bought years ago for my GSXR1100, you want it? It does have headline holes, good shape.

Do you think it would fit my 2013 Seven Fiddy? It sounds like a long shot. Thank you very much for the offer!

mikek

Its sitting on a shelf in my shop, taking up room. Previous post should have said Headlite holes, street fairings. Dont know the brand, rather thin compared to OEM fairing. mkelly@bellsouth.net 704-678-4260. Come get it and try it.....

JustAnotherSquid

To the best of my recollection, here's what happened at RA. Caveat: the video (if it exists) may show something completely different.

A few important notes: I had never been to RA before, the first session was cut short due to multiple crashes (we only got in 3 laps iirc), and we were using the chicane instead of turn four.

On the second session, I went out second in line behind the control rider. The first person started drifting back, so I passed him and moved up directly behind the CR. As we came down the front straight to start the second lap, the CR waved me by. Being unfamiliar with RA, I SHOULD have signaled that I was going to stay behind her. 100% my fault. Instead, I moved past and picked up the pace.

I came out of the chicane and started setting up to turn right long before I should have (the sight lines are not great here, but again, 100% my fault). By the time I realized my mistake, I was headed right for the rumble strips on the exit of turn four hard on the gas (which is pretty funny if you think about it). Directly ahead of me was a grass field and the entrance to turn five, and there was no way I was going to make the turn through the esses, so I decided to go straight through the field and try to reenter the track going into five.

Almost made it, too! But I hit a small ditch in the grass field that sent me and the bike tumbling.

It seems like a harsh price to pay for a small mistake, but this is a dangerous sport and everything happens for a reason (even if we don't always know what it is). Nothing to do but accept it, try to learn from it, and move forward. :)

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

To the best of my recollection, here's what happened at RA. Caveat: the video (if it exists) may show something completely different.

A few important notes: I had never been to RA before, the first session was cut short due to multiple crashes (we only got in 3 laps iirc), and we were using the chicane instead of turn four.

On the second session, I went out second in line behind the control rider. The first person started drifting back, so I passed him and moved up directly behind the CR. As we came down the front straight to start the second lap, the CR waved me by. Being unfamiliar with RA, I SHOULD have signaled that I was going to stay behind her. 100% my fault. Instead, I moved past and picked up the pace.

I came out of the chicane and started setting up to turn right long before I should have (the sight lines are not great here, but again, 100% my fault). By the time I realized my mistake, I was headed right for the rumble strips on the exit of turn four hard on the gas (which is pretty funny if you think about it). Directly ahead of me was a grass field and the entrance to turn five, and there was no way I was going to make the turn through the esses, so I decided to go straight through the field and try to reenter the track going into five.

Almost made it, too! But I hit a small ditch in the grass field that sent me and the bike tumbling.

It seems like a harsh price to pay for a small mistake, but this is a dangerous sport and everything happens for a reason (even if we don't always know what it is). Nothing to do but accept it, try to learn from it, and move forward. :)

I just watched the video, and would like to make the following corrections:

1) I could have made the turn. It happened very fast and I think I just realized the mistake too late.
2) I got sucked in by an optical illusion. Turn 5 looked straight ahead and I went straight ahead - but the track went left.
3) I didn't make it very far in the grass at all, LOL. And while I did hit some bumps, they weren't what caused the crash - the front end washed out. (No, I was not on the brakes - front or rear.)
4) Oops! I accidentally deleted all the video footage and now can't post it on YouTube for everyone to laugh at! What a shame!

bmart

Post the video or be banished to the Bog of Eternal Stench! (know what movie that was from???)