Track Day Road Atlanta *** Sat-Sun, April 17-18 *** P.R.E.

JustAnotherSquid

Actively crashing motorcycles
Where: Road Atlanta
When: Saturday and Sunday, April 17-18, 2021
Cost: $240/day (less any membership discounts you may have)
Link: Saturday | Sunday

KK will be there to help in pits, but she will not be riding at this event. We'll both be riding both days! Anyone else interested?

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Looks like fun, even on an R3!

(Laughing pretty hard at the fact that it doesn't have enough power to go uphill though!)

bmart

It is a ribbon...there is no end. Don't fall for it.

JustAnotherSquid

***** WANTED *****

Pit crew for Road Atlanta. Must be willing to give compliments where none are due, put up with constant whining, and have Pecan Crack. Long hours required. No pay or benefits provided. Inquire within.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

It is amazing how much different track surfaces affect tire wear.

At RRR, I burned a rear tire and wore half off the front.

At VIR N, despite riding harder than I did at RRR, the front shows hardly any additional wear and the rear still looks almost new.

How is RA on tires?

bmart

You'll laugh, but that is likely a lot more about how you were riding than the surface. It'll change (improve) as you continue to implement some of the things we talked about. Then as you get even faster still, the wear will increase, but wll be predictable/consistent. :)

VIR and Road A are very easy on tires. Old CMP was a beast (2 rears per day for me) but the new surface is much improved.

Generally, what happens is this:

On the rear, riders tend to gas hard out of the corners instead of carrying corner speed. This differential really wears a tire, especially with the weight of your package...so to speak. :) It is the most one will ask of their rear tires.

On the front, the hanging on the bars is twisting the front tire on entry which really tears it compared to having no weight on the bars and not changing direction while leaned. It'll generally work at the current speeds, but as the speed and lean angle increase, the front will lose interest and you'll be asking about leather seams and helmet paint. :)

It would not be unreasonable to ask the tire guys if you should run an extra pound or two to assist the suspension in it's job. I have a friend not too far above my weight who rides the front really hard and runs a few PSI more than I do. The "rules" are more likel guidelines.

JustAnotherSquid

Another thought that has been bouncing around my otherwise empty head since VIR is this: I recall that back in the day hard braking was an intense experience. You were pulling on the lever with what felt like 100 pounds of force, the back tire was in the air, you felt like you were going over the handlebars, and your heart was racing at the exertion and imminent danger.

At VIR things could not have been different. Hard braking was almost zen-like. It didn't require much force, the front tire clearly communicated when things were starting to get dicey, and the bike felt more planted than a cedar tree. It was almost absurdly easy. Have brakes, tires, and geometries improved that much since 2002, or am I just mis-remembering things?

Last edited:

bmart

That's the one! It'll put the left cones for pit in just to the right of you. The rider brings the bike to the left for the last turn turn-in as the track comes back to them.

JustAnotherSquid

2slow, what day(s) are you guys wanting to hang out at the track? I need to let PRE know ahead of time that you are coming.

edit - never mind, I am dumb as a box of rocks (as you already knew). I'll just have them put you on the list for both days and then we don't have to worry about it.

Last edited:

2slow

2slow, what day(s) are you guys wanting to hang out at the track? I need to let PRE know ahead of time that you are coming.

edit - never mind, I am dumb as a box of rocks (as you already knew). I'll just have them put you on the list for both days and then we don't have to worry about it.
Sounds good to me.

JWilson

I just registered. I found this site from YT. Anyway, I'll be at RA as well. I bought a season pass with PRE so I SHOULD be at all of the PRE events and a few N2.

JustAnotherSquid

Welcome to CMR! You posted the ZX-10R videos from VIR 3/29, right?

We're going to try to get KK's bike fixed this weekend (she had an oopsie in turn one during the last session of the day) and assuming that goes well, we will see you next weekend. I have a black and white GSX-R750 and KK has a blue (and now slightly pavement-colored) R3.

JWilson

yes, that is me. You can look at any track video and see the Garmin with overlay. The newest ones with throttle are using RacerRendor and AIM data.