Street Ride -|- MOUNTAIN RUN -|- Sunday 11/8 -|- (The last one of 2020???)

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Sunday the highs are going to be in the 70s here and in the 60s in the mountains! We gotta get one last Mountain Run in before winter attacks! Who is in???

So far:
  • JAS
  • KK
  • bmart

Last edited:

bmart

Any details in case my local ride buddies aren't going to show?

JustAnotherSquid

Any details in case my local ride buddies aren't going to show?

They are only calling for 9/100ths of an inch of rain on Sunday now, so we changed the Mountain Run to Sunday. :) I'll post exact details as we get closer, but we'll leave early in the morning and get back late in the afternoon. Going to go up 181 and then wing it from there.

bmart

Gotcha! How early and from where will you be leaving? I'm on the faaaaaar east side of Charlotte, so Goodwill in Morganton (base of route 181), for instance, is every bit of 95 minutes away...and I'd trailer from here. :)

bmart

From? :) My body definitely won't take riding out and back. I'd have to trailer and meet for any mountain rides.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

It depends on who is going. We typically use some or all of the following locations:
  • BP at I-485 and Prosperity Church Rd in Charlotte
  • Raceway at 27 and 321 in Lincolnton
  • McDonalds at I-40 and 18 in Morganton
If anyone from north or east Charlotte is going we'll leave from the BP. If anyone like mikek or chutch is going we'll stop at the Raceway in Lincolnton. And if anyone west of Lincolnton is going we'll stop at the McDonald's. If it's just KK and me, we'll leave from the house and head up 16.

Last edited:

bmart

I'm likely in if it is a leave Morganton around 9:30-10 and be back there around 3-3:30 (I can return with or without you guys), to load/unload...and if I'm welcome on old equipment. 🥳

I usually park in front of Goodwill in Morganton and roll from there.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

We will plan on stopping at the Goodwill on 181 in Morganton to pick you up. (y) I'll post more detailed info tomorrow - I'm just waiting to see if anyone else wants to go and if so, where they will be coming from.

2slow

Wish we could make it. Y'all be careful, I've seen more deer this year than ever.

bmart

Me too, hence the late start and early finish! Plus, I may have a track weekend a week later. I have to be in top shape!

bmart

Looking forward to the ride. Loading the trailer shortly.

421? Weaverville for pizza and dessert? Rowan and 19W? (I'm packing...paper maps!)

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Yes sir! Knock on wood, it's going to be a great day of riding. Doesn't look like anyone else is going, so we're going to head out at 8am and ride straight to the Goodwill in Morganton. We should get there around 9:15-9:30. Not sure where we want to go yet ... figured we'd ride up to Jonas Ridge and then we can all decide from there.

I love me some Shady Valley but that might be a stretch with the short days we have now. :)

bmart

Cool. Leaving home by 8:00. Should be parked at 9:30 and unloading.

JustAnotherSquid

Not gonna lie, anyone who didn't go missed out an a pretty amazing day! The weather was incredible (and varied), the roads were in great shape, and the traffic was, well, the usual I guess.

A few pics:

The Mountain Crossing store at Jonas Ridge was shuttered! The doors were chained shut and there was police tape over all the entrances. That is so, so sad. They were doing a great job with the place:

:(

Since we couldn't eat at Jonas Ridge we rode over to the Little Switzerland Cafe ... which was also closed! (The green sign was a damn dirty liar.):

Things were starting to look pretty grim on the lunch front when we stumbled on this:

Score! Those were pretty good burgers, and served with a view. (y)

And then all too soon it was over. <sniff sniff :cry:>

bmart, thanks for coming out! It was great to meet you and we had a great ride. BTW, you will never guess what made it all the way home:

Last edited:

KrashnKaren

AWESOME RIDE! It was nice to meet you bmart and what a great day of riding! Hopefully we can sneak in a few more runs before the weather gets cold.

2slow

Looks like a great day! Wish we could have made it. Wonder what happened to the Store at Jonas Ridge?

bmart

Thank you two for the invite! It was nice to get out before the snow flies and the ice is on the roads out there. Still hoping for more before spring though! Love the pics, especially the helmet shot and the burger shot.

The weather should allow riding somewhere next weekend, CMP or locally. Stay tuned!