Motocross Supercross and Off-road

AndyMX47

And are they the type of engines that can go tens of thousands of miles with routine maintenance, or the type that need to be refreshed every other trip to the redline?
The motocross bikes need a new top end every time you blink, think every 20 hours of riding or so? (Guessing a little bit). In all seriousness, it depends on how and where you ride them, and how clean and well oiled your air filter is, and how often you change the oil. The 450's should last longer, a 250f is more of a ticking time bomb. They also now have fuel injected 2-stroke motocross bikes!!!! KTM, Husky and GasGas (all mostly the same) have pretty much taken over amateur MX and off-road, but Yamaha and Honda seem to be starting a come back.

The 500 exc-F (the dual sport) will have pretty frequent recommended oil change intervals. The 701 is a newer version of the 690 engine. They recommend 6,000 mile service intervals, although I change my oil when the shifting gets a bit sticky, which is about 2,500 miles. My valves are still in spec since day 1.

KrashnKaren

Interesting interview, even if you don't know anything about Jim Gibson

Great read! Here are a few quotes that I found interesting:

"With a big bike, you can use the horsepower, so you can run straighter lines. With a smaller bike, you must run more curved lines so you don’t lose momentum. There will be a few places where horsepower will prevail over momentum, and usually you can rest a little more when you do it that way. Momentum is the solution. I would ride all the bikes the same way, which is the faster you go, the less horsepower it takes."

Makes me think of the my little R3 and how I need to use my momentum at each track!

"The motorcycle already knows what it needs to do. You need to find out what you need to do to fit the motorcycle. I paid attention to what the bike wanted, what the track needed from me and what I needed to do to accomplish it. I did not try to get the bike to do what I wanted it to do. I let it tell me what it needed."

AndyMX47

Yes! My son used to tell me my bike had too much power. He could blow me away on a 125 while I was on a 250. It was all corner speed.

AndyMX47

Cool video from a young guy we used to race with a lot when my son was a kid. He's racing a bunch of the nationals on a YZ250 2-stroke. Super fast local A rider.

I used to race Budds Creek alllll the time when I lived in DC. Fun track!

boike333

I happed upon Budds Creek in the off season traveling for work and there was some young kid out there ripping it up. Crazy looking track! Such huge ups and downs. I don’t think most people get what riding like that takes. HUGE balls just to start.

RocketDan

I just discovered this thread! Good stuff in here. I love road racing, but what the Supercross guys can do is ridiculous. I went to Daytona this year which was my first live race. TV doesn’t do the racing and size of the jumps justice. The whoops is the most violent thing I’ve seen a motorcycle do. LOL

AndyMX47

Whoops are a huge differentiator between top level pros, "regular" pros, and amateurs. If you ever have a chance to walk a set of whoops, or look at them up close - you will be stunned how big they are, and how far apart. I'd guess 2 1/2 to 3' tall, and 9' to 10' apart. You can see how much bigger they are in the later videos compared to the first one with James Stewart.

bmart

My "whoops" is a completely different thing...

That last one looks like a washboard. I'm glad you survived racing.

AndyMX47

1 point between Eli Tomac (the guy who wheelied the whoops in 2015 above) and Chase Sexton, going into the final round. These two are unbelievable, putting 30 second gaps on 3rd place almost every week. Can't wait to watch the final race Saturday afternoon!

AndyMX47

Video from 16 year old Haiden Deegan's 2nd pro race. It was 100 plus degrees. He crashed out of both motos the week before. I met his dad Brian Deegan at the Charlotte SX race in 1996 - crazy guy.

AndyMX47

highlights from the qualifying races today for the Motocross of Nations in Michigan. This race pits teams of 3 riders from each country against each other over the course of 3 races. Today was qualifying, that gets you gate picks, the "real" races are tomorrow. Go USA!

We haven't won this since......2011. Kyle and I watched the races in person when they were at Budds Creek in 2007 - it was incredible. The fans from around the world are nuts! Chainsaw noise makers, air horns, costumes, you name it!