Lithium Batteries

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Both of my SVs have lithium batteries and they are awesome. You don't have to keep them tenderized and as long as you run the bike a few times a year they are happy as little electric clams which everyone knows are some of the happiest shellfish there are.

The CS has a lead-acid battery and it's on it's way out. I'm looking at replacing it with an Antigravity that should be an exact fit.

Any comments on that choice of brand, or anything to look out for before making the switch? I have already checked voltage across the battery while the bike is running and it is exactly 14.0V.

AndyMX47

I have a battery tender lithium in the 690. I also had one in our jet ski. Works OK, but drains fast if I leave my phone charger plugged in (even with no phone) but that seems to be a function of the charger more than the battery. The jet ski would get ridden 1 week a year and put away. The battery would fire it right up 51 weeks later. No experience with other brands, so I think the dark corners of the internet may be your friend.

JustAnotherSquid

Alright, well then, Antigravity on the way! We'll see if it solves the CS' battery-eating problem!

bmart

Battery Tender lithium in most of mine. The others have AGMs from Motobatt. They both last nearly forever.

JustAnotherSquid

~6.5 lbs difference. That's not nothin'! And the CS starts with a vim and vigor it has never had. Not even the day it rolled off the showroom floor! It used to start like this:

vrrr-vrrr-vrrr-vrrr-vrrr-cough-cough-sputter-idle-sputter-idle-idle-idle

Now it starts like this:

VRR-VRR-VRR-IDLE-idle-idle-idle

This is the sixth or seventh battery the CS has had. I don't think we've ever had one last longer than two years (recall the CS was parked for a decade) and that was the best AGM we could find at the time. We'll see how long this one lasts!

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg