International racing (MotoGP, WSBK/WSS, etc.)

bmart

That's odd. Maybe costs too much for the small factory.

AndyMX47

I'm surprised they have lasted as long as this, and very impressed with their results.

The costs to run a MotoGP team are 10-15x what it costs to run a motocross and supercross team; they left those sports years ago.

AndyMX47

Corner speeds were high because...drum brakes! I rode behind a friend on a Maico 490 once, and he absolutely flew into the first corner. He was used to riding a bike with modern brakes and couldn't slow down. Instant lesson on corner speed.

Of course the tires back then......not so great. The helmets look safe though, and are fantastic for eating a bowl of pad thai from after the race

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Real men.

Even this years videos are pretty cool!

So much to love about that video! The fact that a 500 with less power than my KK's KTM was a "big" bike (yeah, no tires or brakes I get it) ... that their airfence was a four-story apartment building ... that they have to push-start their bikes while banging into each other like drunken freshmen ... it's all so charming, terrifying, and genuinely funny at the same time.

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle

Nothing shocking or unexpected or that you couldn't guess without even reading it, but: