How badly am I going to get shafted?

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
I wanted to get KK a onesie for her first track day. One with the latest armor and room for a Level 2 back protector. She's kinda ok, and I want to keep her around in the event of a get-off.

So anyway, we found an Italian website that has the Kira suit for $300 less than the cheapest we can find it in the US. $600 shipped!

Aaaaaaand ordered!

What is the probability that we actually get it? And that it's not some cheap knock-off? It's like an adventure! Wooo!

And since no thread is complete without pictures:

alpinestars_stella_kira_race_suit_black_white_750x750.jpg

Last edited:

bmart

No idea. I've heard mixed results from over seas orders. You'll want to ensure they aren't copies...which could explode on impact.

JustAnotherSquid

I've been looking for a few weeks now. Turns out there are about as many decent used onesies out there for a 5'5" / 125# woman as there were for a 6'4" / 225# man. Which is to say, none at all. :D

edit - but at least we both got smokin' deals on new A* suits. Assuming the one from Italy is legit, anyway.

KrashnKaren

I want to get KK a onesie for her first track day. One with the latest armor and room for a Level 2 back protector. She's kinda ok and I want to keep her around in the event of a get-off.

We found an Italian website that has the Kira suit for $300 less than the cheapest we can find it in the US. $600 shipped!

What is the probability that we actually get it? And that it's not some cheap knock-off? It's like an adventure!

And since no thread is complete without pictures:

View attachment 80

Onesie sounds funny! Baby steps... or better yet, back to the beginning! To think I was contemplating doing track days way back in 2007!!!

JustAnotherSquid

While looking for suits I did find some used bargains. Two pairs of street leather pants for KK and a street jacket and pants for me.

There were no decent used suits our size anywhere though. Which should surprise no one, I guess.

bmart

I'm fortunate that I'm a 42/44 off of the rack in nearly anything. I found my $1900 Vanson suits for $600 each. Not terrible savings. :) Two of them were never worn.

Sizing varies widely by company, it seems, so some research would serve you well.

JustAnotherSquid

Believe me, I'm aware of that. I didn't grow to this size yesterday. ;)

I've bought and returned more gear than most people have ever bought.

JustAnotherSquid

Address on the invoice points to this building in Florence, Italy. We might just get lucky and get a real suit! Woohoo! :D

2Pb8nFo.jpg

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

I'm fortunate that I'm a 42/44 off of the rack in nearly anything. I found my $1900 Vanson suits for $600 each. Not terrible savings. :) Two of them were never worn.

Sizing varies widely by company, it seems, so some research would serve you well.

OK fine, you win. I just bought a Vanson perforated onesie size 50 for $300. No idea if it will fit, but for $300...

d2QfPJi.jpg

Last edited:

bmart

Dude, I love mine. the venting is awesome, levels above the competitors. They drill the holes instead of punching them, so they stay open.

bmart

You never should have shared that if you didn't want a new name, Oo-Long. Beats, So-Short, I guess.

JustAnotherSquid

Well, I'm just hoping the letters are small enough that no one can read them as they blow by me in the corners.

But if they do, the obvious response is THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

bmart

I just remove them. It is just stitching. Use a seam ripper from the inside. It'll take no time at all.

JustAnotherSquid

I might just do that. Only downside I can think of is that the suit won't say OO-LONG anymore. :D

Just bought this for $250 from the same guy. My cup runneth over. Unless they don't fit, in which case my For Sale posts runneth over.

aaDgiQE.jpg

Exchanged some emails with Barnacle Bill and he said $100 (or less) to add knee sliders to it. Is he still the go-to guy for leather work?

JustAnotherSquid

Sizing varies widely by company

Not to mention within a company.

This is the shit that annoys the hell out of me, and it's been happening since I started riding in 1985. (Technically I started in 1982 but the DT-2 I had for two weeks before it blew up doesn't count for much.):

FRGF1qC.jpg

• The boots on the left are black Alpinestars SMX. The boots on the right are black Alpinestars SMX.
  • The boots on the left are size 49. The boots on the right are size 49.
  • The boots on the left were manufactured Q4 2018. The boots on the right were manufactured Q4 2018.
  • The boots on the left were purchased from New Enough. The boots on the right were purchased from New Enough.
  • The boots on the left are comfy as hell. The boots on the right are painfully tight.

And it's not just Alpinestars, either. I've had this problem with pretty much every company out there. Nothing is ever the same size. :mad:

I'm so mad I could eat a pizza.

(edit - left are SMX-S and right are SMX-6)

Last edited: