Harley's "Hardwire" Plan

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
So Harley released their plan to get out of trouble a few weeks ago, and you can Google it for more info. But a fair synopsis is:
  1. Sell more cruisers
  2. Sell more t-shirts
  3. Make an "adventure cruiser"
  4. Make an electric bike Make more electric bikes
Excuse me, but how is that any different from what they've been doing? And what got them into this mess in the first place? While reading the plan it was easy to picture the entire Harley board collectively shrugging their shoulders and saying "hell if we know".

It's not like they've never had a chance to truly broaden their product line. They did, and they ran it into the ground: Buell. That Rotax engine that Buell had would have been an outstanding foundation for a whole range of non-cruiser bikes, including an adventure bike. Gasp!

And don't even get me started on an electric Harley. Who do they expect to buy that? Nobody cares how cool Good Morning America or MSNBC thinks it is. It's going to be lame and it's going to be DOA. Mark my words. (edit - Turns out it is lame and it is DOA and I didn't even know it!)

But all is not lost. I have a plan to save Harley, and it is brilliant: Just put a tariff on all other bikes over 700cc. 🤣

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

On a positive note, the new engine may have potential. It still looks too big and too heavy but maybe it's just styled to look that way? Imagine them stuffing the smaller version of it in a stiff frame with decent suspension and brakes and a half-fairing. Bam, there's the sporty twin we want.

Of course, they'd probably price it to compete with Ducati, not the Big Four, and it'd wind up being DOA too.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

LOL, I didn't even know the electric bike is already in dealerships, but it is.

And, it's already been cancelled. :D

Making more electric bikes sounds like an excellent idea though. 🤔

edit - and it's a shame that their new ADV bike looks like a cartoon robot from Futurama (ahem)

Last edited:

bmart

They're detached from reality because their existing and historic customer base is. The could be innovators, but they aren't acting like.

JustAnotherSquid

edit - and it's a shame that their new ADV bike looks like a cartoon robot from Futurama (ahem)

0iKUvRm.jpg

JustAnotherSquid

The could be innovators, but they aren't acting like.

Yeah. The board has been making snow angels in piles of cash for decades, so it's not like they didn't have the capital to expand beyond their niche. And while it was certainly a big and profitable niche, ultimately it was just a niche. The situation they are in now is due completely to their own hubris. JMHO.

JustAnotherSquid

It's not like they've never had a chance to truly broaden their product line. They did, and they ran it into the ground: Buell. That Rotax engine that Buell had would have been an outstanding foundation for a whole range of non-cruiser bikes, including an adventure bike. Gasp!

Wow, what timing! You'd think I planned it. Looks like Buell is back, and going to do what H-D couldn't / wouldn't. That is, make something besides cruisers:

bmart

Better looking that what has been made for years. Wonder if that oval header will make it through the warranty period!

Sadly, the other models on their site are even uglier than what their competitors are currently producting.

JustAnotherSquid

Not gonna lie; the whole thing reeks. Ten new models in three years, but most of their website is shitty renders? Ten new models in three years, but the company is owned by a liquidating firm? The whole things screams "investor scam" ... but I hope I'm wrong. :)