GoPro mounts and locations

bmart

Hey all. I'm finally joning the GoPro world and hope that you'll chime in with great ideas and pics about where and how you mount your cameras, tethering them, and camera settings. I see a lot of videos on YouTube that primarily show someone's legs/butt, or dash/sky. I'd like to avoid that... Thanks!

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
I saw a video a while ago (but can't find it now) where the guy had it mounted somewhere around the passenger pegs. That position allowed you to see the swingarm moving up and down, and the rider shifting and moving around on the bike. I thought it was a pretty cool angle. Downside was that half the time the camera was on the outside of the turn, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

edit - you could put a camera on both sides and then splice the videos together as necessary. That would be awesome. :cool:

Last edited:

bmart

My life is simpler than most people's. I'm just getting to a camera. lol Took a few videos today from a tail mount aiming front and rear. No idea how to get them off of the camera or onto YouTube. lol

JustAnotherSquid

Have you got it worked out yet? I can't help with the GoPro but can help with uploading videos to YouTube.

Last edited:

bmart

Just one mount on the back. I took a few videos forward and back. Posted one of each while coaching.

JustAnotherSquid

Great videos! Great riding! The new pavement at CMP looks niiiiiice. The dogleg on the back straight especially. Back when I was running CMP, the inside half of the dogleg was completely unusable - there were six inch ruts and bumps - so you'd throw it into the outside half (which was also not very good) and pray. If you came out the other side alive you'd high-five yourself and then nail the brakes for the left-hander. :D

The rear-mounted forward-facing one might not be the best location - a dash mount or a side mount might be better for that?

Side note: I've been watching a bunch of track day videos the last few weeks and have noticed that no one blips the throttle on downshifts anymore. Is it not necessary with modern slipper clutches, or is everyone running autoshifters?

bmart

CMP is MUCH better with the new pavement, but it ins't perfect. There is still a bump in the dogleg, but nothing like it was before. Still, I go sround it to keep the supension from reacting.

You're right. I didn't have any of the other mounts so I just put the rear one on there. A few friends use it facing forward to review their body position. I can see that, but when I'm riding at speed, my body position is pretty good. I now have some other mounts/arms to try out on the track and street bikes. I'll be goofing around with that over the next week or two. Putting it behind the screen is safest (no rocks, etc.) but the image can be distorted. On the front of the fairing produces the best results, but it can get dinged with debris and disappear in an accident. The mounts are cheap, so I'll probably put a bunch on there and just use what I want. I love coaching and rarely run "fast" laps much these days.

Most people run the electronic shifting with slipper clutch setup, so no need to blip or clutch either way. I don't buy into that and prefer the manual method. I just release the clutch slowly, as you probably heard, during downshifts. Upshifts don't really require the clutch, just a momentay move to neutral throttle.

Is it track day yet?

This is from a few years back at my favorite track. Entry to turn 1 is unusual, and I'm not terrible at it! I get killed on the long straight, but make up for it getting the last turn and the first turn right. This poor guy kept trying to get me on the power, especially at 4:25 and 5:45 I'm on the blue/white bike with the yellow tail light stickers. I love that place...
VIR South

JustAnotherSquid

This is from a few years back at my favorite track. Entry to turn 1 is unusual, and I'm not terrible at it! I get killed on the long straight, but make up for it getting the last turn and the first turn right. This poor guy kept trying to get me on the power, especially at 4:25 and 5:45 I'm on the blue/white bike with the yellow tail light stickers. I love that place...
VIR South

Ouch! That looked painful. Loved the first comment on his video: "Can't win a track day, but you can lose." :D

You guys were going at it. Those kind of rides were the most fun I had at track days. I'd learn things from watching them, they'd learn things from watching me, and we'd all come out better in the end. Except when stuff like that ^^^ happened.

bmart

I'm hopeful that N2 or TDW get some days on the South course. Itis much more challenging than it looks like on paper. Many blind entry off camber exit turns. I don't have any competitive bones in me, but I love running a good lap. Even this old (me and my antiquated bike), I enjoy running without the rider aids and big HP that most seem to like. I got new best times at five tracks this year, and got two last year also. I'm not done yet! Coaching has been a great way for me to give back and not feel like I have to run above 70% if I don't want to.

JustAnotherSquid

Have you figured out how/where to mount the GoPro to the front of your bike? I may have accidentally ordered a Hero 9 BF bundle.

bmart

It happens...

I'm starting on the fenders. There's really not much point in teh side ones as your body blocks most of the image if you're hanging off. Some people like swingarm. Meh. Hope to test the front fender on the 250 later today. It is sprung. The others are unsprung, so we'll see if that makes sense.

Don't think that I don't see that sig change. I should add my "past" ones...

JustAnotherSquid

I'd like to have a panoramic view that includes the tach and gear position indicator. Motorcyclist recommended mounting it to the top/front of the tank using a suction cup mount but that won't pass tech, will it? Plus it seems like it would be in the way while tucked in.

bmart

Right. No room on the tank on mine if I want to see any gauges and be able to be in a tuck down the straights. I'll likely add a mount to the front of each fairing below where I look through the windscreen.

Many seem to like 100 mounts to move it around, but for my purposes, the front for me or a student and the back for a student.