Good training info and links

bmart

If I trust you enough to ride with you then I trust you enough to ride one of my bikes.
Our rules was other rider could afford to fix/replace if needed...and was the kind of person who would without hesitation. I got to ride a ton of bikes back then.

bmart

Why did you feel the ZX-11 was terrible? I loved my 87 Ninja 1000 and put tons of miles on it. I think the only reason I sold it was living in DC, riding in traffic really stunk. That was one of the times I decided I was done with street bikes.

Rode a ZX-11 (only once) and really enjoyed it. It was big and heavy, but hauled in a straight line, was comfy enough (for me) on the highway, and could still get around corners....well enough. But I didn't have to own it or fix it!
It was a missile. But the FJ was pretty fast too. Katana 1100 was. So was my friend's Blackbird. Even the CBR1000F was. The difference wasn't significant for real life. At least not to me. And it was really uncomfortable. Handling was subpar too.

AndyMX47

Excellent video!

A few of the rules that are fun to break. Or at least bend:
  1. Never add lean angle and throttle at the same time. Total Bull!!! How are you supposed to slide around corners? This is the most fun thing you can do! As long as you don't crash.
  2. Never stab the brakes. Somewhat agree - but we still have to be able to do stoppies. Maybe a stoppie is just "smoothly grabbing way too much front brake."
  3. Never use the front brake and the throttle at the same time. I'm going to cheat here, but in MX, if your front wheel is climbing the edge of a rut under acceleration, light application of the front brake brings it back down.
Just like eating and drinking, all things in moderation.

boike333

Ok I have to go before your number one on his first topic, and ask isn’t trail braking NOT doing all your braking before the corner?

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Ok I have to go before your number one on his first topic, and ask isn’t trail braking NOT doing all your braking before the corner?

I think he was just giving an example of things you are often told never to do, but are actually useful in some situations.

bmart

1:38 is the first guy. The second guy is really something!

AndyMX47

In case you want to practice balancing - Rich Larsen is a great teacher. I think he has balanced a motorcycle for 5 minutes.

boike333

I’m practicing how slow I can peddle my bike with the brakes after my rides.

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle

That IS a great article. I've read it before but it was worth reading again!

On the subject of passing rules, we had the opportunity to ride with four orgs last year. We bought season passes with PRE this year so that should tell you where we stand. But there are some things other orgs are doing that work really well.

TDW will open up outside passing in Novice after the first or second session IF (and only if) everyone is behaving well, and they threaten to shut it down if people start getting frisky. It has worked really well the times we've ridden with them. KK loves it as it is just about the only way her little R3 can pass anyone.

STT will allow inside or outside passes in Intermediate as long as they follow a "six foot and polite" rule and they WILL pull people off the track if they see a pass they don't like. I only rode with them one time but the rules were enforced and everything went very smoothly. It was probably the best Intermediate day I've ever had.

Last edited:

boike333

Which this whole thing to me always makes me ask myself where is the apex? For example I think I know where the apex is in CMP 3. But 1, 2 I am not so sure. 3112B5C5-1E57-471F-8199-38B2C963FAAE.jpeg

boike333

Can y’all see the blue marks in the corners? This could be fun to do the whole track!?

bmart

Nice article. I think that we've seen that one and its siblings before.

Karen: Crossing paths is the interesting thing about turns 11-13 at CMP. There really isn't a single line. I choose mine based on the rider(s) in front of me and what i'm trying to accomplish. It is extremely useful to understand what each line accomplishes and how to execute them.

Matt: When you think about turns 1-3, think about where you make time in each. Then the line become obvious. the catches are that 1) someone inevcitably is on your line for at least part of it, and 2) it is a highly visual part of the course. If you're looking in the wrong place at the wrong time, the game is over. Most of the benefit in 1 is carrying speed down the straight, so on the brakes. 2&3 are all about picking up speed for the straight between 3 & 4...so back into the thinking from 5 or four and plan it out in your head.