Good training info and links

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
I will make it my personal mission to make sure this thread never strays far from page 1. :D We could just have the admin sticky it but let's be honest - no one ever reads stickied threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

JWilson

I lose time at every track I visit because I don't have the discipline to turn in correctly on some corners. :-(

admin

Overworked and underpaid
Staff member
As requested, the music part of this thread has been split off to keep this one on-topic.

JustAnotherSquid

Can we include "don't's" along with the "do's"?

I don't wish bad on anyone, but it did not make me sad to see the perpetrator suffer as much as or more than his victim did.

bmart

That whole group looked like jokers. WAY off line, then rubbing a guy? Must have been soooome trophy/payday!

JWilson

Probably the best video I have seen on explaining what I should be doing, but have a very hard time doing.

JWilson

Can we include "don't's" along with the "do's"?

I don't wish bad on anyone, but it did not make me sad to see the perpetrator suffer as much as or more than his victim did.
I think the perp suffered more. A great example of a TD trophy chaser. The guy he hit had to really check up as well. If it is a sighting lap, then huge fail. If it is a green lap then those guys going spread out across the track traveling at a very slow pace have some responsibility and blame.

JustAnotherSquid

Probably the best video I have seen on explaining what I should be doing, but have a very hard time doing.

Yeah that's pretty important stuff. I have a lot of problems to work on but fortunately that isn't one of them. But it's only because I put a TON of effort into learning that skill back when I started riding. It was hard, but it's paying off now.

I think when you see someone that's riding "smooth", a large part of it is because they are looking down the road or track at the next "thing" they have to deal with.

bmart

Looking further ahead works with so many things. The advice I give riders is to not bother looking at anything that is so close that they can't do anything about it anyway!

50 MPH is just under 75 ft/sec
100 MPH is just over 145 ft/sec
150 MPH is 220 ft/sec

Average human reaction time is .25 seconds, so...assuming you're average (sorry!), by the time you notice something (assume zero, but it isn't zero), you've traveled quite a ways in .25 seconds:

50 MPH is just under 18 ft
100 MPH is just over 36 ft
150 MPH is 55 ft

Add to that what you can really do in that time/space, which is nothing, regardless of the speeds you use unless you're an F1 guy or fighter pilot.

So, look where you're suposed to. Let go of what might be right in front of you. Focus on contact points with the bike and let the bike move around under you.

Nice video...

AndyMX47

Interesting thoughts on applying MTB to Motorcycle riding! The more fitness you gain, the more corner speed and cornering skill comes into play.

I think this year Tuesday night worlds at Orr Rd has helped my point of view and skills.

It's hard to tell from the video, but we lean the road bikes over as far as corner clearance will allow. I had to install different pedals to get more lean angle at these rides. The lean angle you can get out of 25mm slicks is amazing. Even in the rain. Add in line choice to see how much time you make up or lose on the person in front of you, as "power" isn't anywhere near as easy to come by as it is on a motorcycle. Finally, use some motorcycle upper body position to keep the bike more upright, and you can carry tighter lines while pedaling through the turns, and keep your speed and momentum up while shortening the course. It's all about keeping high corner speed and saving acceleration effort on the straights. We often see pro MX guys, their trainers, and their mechanics at these rides. In the summer we ride at Orr Road, in the winter Huntersville Business Park. I pop up in Jared's video at minute 6 and near the end. Super fun.

1636041449280.png