Flash mob? Flashdance? Flash ride!

bmart

Used purshases are funny like that. The VFR was newish, and I'm $1400 into getting it 100%. $1200 for the CB-1. $1900 for the KLX. The range seems pretty much the same for all!

AndyMX47

It's the "have to fix it" or "make it mine" $$$ vortex.

Most of the crap we do isn't necessary beyond tires and wear items. I think half the %$@# we fix is because some clown on a forum says "the muffler bearings on a KTM690 always fail. At least mine did. Joe in a garage in Iowa makes his own muffler bearings, so you should replace yours with his muffler bearing kit." And we get sucked in.

690 "needed' a rack and tank bag. $150, done. Maybe the tail light, because it was cracked. Tires only after I wore them out.

I bought a rack, tank bag, tail light, muffler, graphics kit, extra plastic and fasteners, O2 sensor eliminator, lithium battery, 15 old cell phones for GPS, tires because they're on rebate, and a partridge in a pear tree. Stu-pid, dinero adios. Another trend I've noticed is I buy and install all this crap over the winter. I think I just get bored.

Just like my car "needed" sway bars and shocks. But boy do they make it handle like it's on rails. :love: Oh well - it's what we do!

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Did it "need" a new battery? Yep.
New tires? Yep.
Tank bag? Yep.
Centerstand? Yep.
Hand guards? Maybe not. But they are a good complement to the heated grips so ... yep.
Crash bars and skid plate? Maybe not. But enough people here have seen me ride to agree that the answer may be "yep". :D

On an unrelated related note:

I had the tank cover off to replace the battery and noticed it was stamped "ITALY".

Now IIRC, back in the mid-90s BMW released the "Funduro" but it was just a rebadged Aprilia Pegaso - and still made by Aprilia in Italy. A few years later, BMW released the "native" F650GS design that was assembled in-house in Berlin using an engine manufactured by Rotax in Austria.

A few years after that, BMW took over manufacturing of the engine using an updated version of the Rotax design.

In the late 2000s the F650GS was renamed the G650GS and assembly was still done in-house. But at some point they moved engine manufacturing to China using a further updated design of the original Rotax engine.

And during all those manufacturing changes, the F650GS/G650GS received two design updates, for a total of three generations.

So in 2016, after all those years and all those redesigns and manufacturing relocations, the bike still had some Aprilia DNA in it. Interesting.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Haha yeah, if the tank cover flies off during a ride I now know why.

TBH I'm far more concerned about the reliability of a KTM (gulp) that was manufactured in India (gah!).

AndyMX47

Haha yeah, if the tank cover flies off during a ride I now know why.

TBH I'm far more concerned about the reliability of a KTM (gulp) that was manufactured in India (gah!).

Just tell it arrivederci if it flies off. Have you bought a polish muffler for your italian bavarian motorcycle yet?

JustAnotherSquid

I'm waffling. Some have said it's loud. I don't want loud.

But it's cheap, and I do like cheap. 🤷‍♂️

JustAnotherSquid

Have you bought a polish muffler for your italian bavarian motorcycle yet?

Done! Ordered direct from their website and the whole shebang (muffler, mid-pipe, 'hard' db-killer, and international shipping) was just under $200. :unsure:

Seems too cheap to be good, but we'll see!

JustAnotherSquid

Speaking of the GS, it's 11:45am and I'm almost done with the oil change I started at 8:00am.

Why so long? Two reasons:

1. The BMW F650/G650 has the most absurd oil change routine ever.
2. It's freaking cold! After every ten minutes of working I had to come in to warm up. None of my tools have heated grips. :(

bmart

You need a space heater. You're almost the first person to finish inside of 24 hours. Keep it up!

KrashnKaren

I finally rode the G650GS today and for the first time I felt taller than JAS since he was riding the low F800GT! I felt like I was in an SUV.

What a great bike! It has a lot of character. It really did not feel very serious. It shifts well and the engine is pretty smooth but the gears are short from 1st to 3rd. I did miss having the temperature gauge but so glad to have the heated grips on this 43 degree day!

bmart

My winter cold riding days are long over. Part of why I left MA.

JustAnotherSquid

The Polish muffler is in Philly! It is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

For $196.75 shipped I am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. :)