Flash mob? Flashdance? Flash ride!

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Indeed! Spit it out! OUT! OUT I SAY! What's the next addition to the stable going to be? Now we all know why there's a used bike shortage - Eric buys them ALL!

PS - let me know if you want a 2017 690 Enduro/SMC. I hear they are going for top dollar.

I got a pretty good deal on the 390 Adventure. Last week I offered to buy the other one they had for the same price and they told me to pound sand. :(

Last edited:

AndyMX47

I saw a 790 Adventure R at a shop in Mooresville on cycletrader.... Just saying. Of course it is 2x 390 Adventure $$$. :eek:

JustAnotherSquid

There's one for sale near you and Brad (regular 790 not the R) with almost no miles on it and the owner is asking only $10,900. I looked at it a few days ago and it is in excellent condition - and it's got an Akra! My only concern is the size and weight.

Last edited:

AndyMX47

Indeed...60lbs heavier than the 390. If I was going to tote that much weight around, I'd spring for the R model with the good suspension. In reality, they will all do what we want.

JustAnotherSquid

I read somewhere (so can't take credit for it) a humorous comment that went something like this:

Motorcyclists usually start out on little bikes and then slowly work their way up to big bikes. But ADV riders tend to start out on big bikes and then slowly work their way down to little bikes.

AndyMX47

Funny but true!

Put Dunlop trailmax missions on the 650, and you are done..... The occasional gravel road won't hurt it KK, I promise.

JustAnotherSquid

Put Dunlop trailmax missions on the 650, and you are done..... The occasional gravel road won't hurt it KK, I promise.

Why would we do that when we have two adventure bikes???

Speaking of which, we drove up US 29 almost to VIR this morning to pick up the new Gold Wing, and then I rode it home. Temperature was 28 when I hopped on the bike for the return trip.

It's been a long, long, long time since I rode in weather that cold and now I remember why. That was an unpleasant way to spend an hour and a half. It was so cold that my brain started to shut down and I could only process one thought at a time, and even then only slowly. The one thought that kept going slowly through my head was thank God I have heated grips.

IMG_5413.jpg

Last edited:

bmart

The chain being on the wrong side is a big hint...

Enjoy your heated grips in the shower while we regain your normal body temp.

JustAnotherSquid

I thought the exhaust would be the big tell and I hadn't thought of the chain but you're right!

bmart

650 GS must be for you. Karen and I are smarter than to take that off road. :p

JustAnotherSquid

650 GS must be for you. Karen and I are smarter than to take that off road. :p

So wait a minute, let me get this straight: It's a good idea to put dirt tires on the F650CS - a pure street bike! - and take it off-road, but it's a bad idea to take the actual dirt version of that same bike off-road.

You, sir, have completely lost your mind. :D

JustAnotherSquid

The GS has spoked wheels and tubes in the tires. Tubed motorcycle tires are new to me. A few questions:

1. Should you always use a new tube when changing a tire?
  2. Should you only use bias-ply tires when running tubes?
  3. Should you dust new tubes with baby powder, like with bicycle tubes?
edit - we had the dirt bikes before we started mounting and balancing our own tires, so back then we just brought the wheels to the dealer for new tires.

Last edited:

AndyMX47

The GS has spoked wheels and tubes in the tires. Tubed motorcycle tires are new to me. A few questions:

1. Should you always use a new tube when changing a tire?
  2. Should you only use bias-ply tires when running tubes?
  3. Should you dust new tubes with baby powder, like with bicycle tubes?
edit - we had the dirt bikes before we started mounting and balancing our own tires, so back then we just brought the wheels to the dealer for new tires.
1. Inspect the old tube. The sidewalls of them wear as they get old, and the rubber hardens. A couple year old tube is probably fine. Buy spare tubes anyway, as you will always pinch at least one with the tire iron while changing tires.
2. No, use whatever tires you want, as long as you have heated grips. Seriously, any tires are ok.
3. Yes, baby powder helps them slide around inside the tire. Or so I've been told.

JustAnotherSquid

Thanks! I'm getting ready to order some AX41s for the G650GS - are there any tubes to get and/or stay away from? The array of brands and styles is as bewildering as the tires themselves.

AndyMX47

Nope, but I would get "heavy duty" tubes. And 2 of each, for the inevitable pinch-fest.

JustAnotherSquid

We've had the GS for less than 48 hours and have already dumped over a grand into it. Battery, tank bag, crash bars, skid plate, tires, hand guards, and centerstand. Makes me happy that we got it for less than market value - current market value on used dual-sports is 1.2 million dollars but we nabbed this one for only $867,000.