Dunlop Slicks: Which Compounds at Which Tracks?

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Buncha old farts in here! I'm 52, JW is 52, and bmart is 53.

KK is 52 too, but older than me. She's a cradle-robber for sure.

mikek and 2slow were born in the 1700s. <ducks>

bmart

He putts around on the street but I think it's just to lure people into complacency. I've seen his videos from CMP and they look damn good.
You're kind. I'm sure that I'm getting slower. My goal is to get to 400 track days before I use only the first two gears on anything.

JustAnotherSquid

The Beemer I rode. Is your Gixer ugly yellow? :)

With all the pollen, it kind of is. :D

This is probably more than you wanted to know, but ... I've been running Pilot Powers and now Pilot Power 2CTs on the R1100S since Michelin first released them.

My experience is that they do not like pressures below around 35. They wear incredible fast and it's easy to overheat them on the street. (!!!) Although in their defense, the bike weighs ~800 pounds with me on it.

So I typically run 36F and 38R cold. They wear better and stick better and still heat up very quickly.

Last edited:

bmart

Gotcha. The first thing I said to Andy when I got off of it is "this has Michelins or Metzler tires on it, doesn't it?" lol

JustAnotherSquid

Haha you know your tires! :D The R1100S has fairly conservative geometry (even after all my mods) and so it reacts well to the pointy profile of the Pilot Power.

Rounder profiles make the bike steer like a truck. You'd think it's a Gixxer or something.

bmart

Love it!

On day 3 of a migraine, but it is subsiding. Rewired a fuel pump for the CB-1 and installed, then took three in the neighborhood for testing. Q3+, IRC, the Race front/Q3 rear combo. All performed admirably! I'm ready to roll can can't wait for Sunday...and next Friday.

JustAnotherSquid

Damn, sorry to hear it. Hope you feel better before Sunday so you can get full enjoyment out of your day. Are you going to bring your two fiddy? :D

bmart

I wish thad I had room. Just the two 600s, one with a single partially functioning fork leg.