Dunlop Slicks: Which Compounds at Which Tracks?

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Hey all, I'm going to transition from Q4s to slicks soon, and was wondering which compounds you run at which tracks:

CMP
VIR
Road Atlanta
NCBike
RRR

Roebling's pavement is pretty aggressive, and you're leaned over all the time, so it's not kind to tires at all. I'd guess something made of steel and/or rock would work best.

Last edited:

bmart

The first three are all smooth, so harder compounds in the cool temps and softer in the heat. This is good general advice, and if you can't keep the heat in the slicks when it is cool out, the opportunity for a mishap will just get worse as you get faster. The warmest they will get is when you take them off of the warmers. Best to keep a set of DOT in stock (early Spring/late Fall).

NC Bike is rougher than the others, so I normally run my hardest rear in stock compound there, Med+ or a Q3, but if you're not ham fisted, the softer ones are fine. For fronts, I'm not even sure Dunlop has anything harder than soft anymore, so I'll be running those this season. I was running Med+ (a.k.a. hard) when I had them.

I know nothing of Roebling, as you know.

If you need slicks, you're a lot faster than I am. I can't get the DOTs to move an inch on this R6 or when I had my 750. If you're struggling for grip, I'd look at suspension/geometry, body position, body/bike contact points and pressure. Equipment can mask thses things only to a point, and then everythign gets ugly fast. I'm happy to discuss.

JustAnotherSquid

I'm looking for durability more than grip. Many, many people have said slicks will last longer than Q4s and so cost per day goes down. I'm pretty happy with the traction and feel of the Q4s so far but more stick is always good.

Ed Bargy taught us to feel for traction with your right hand; I can find the limits of the Q4s pretty easily that way. ;)

bmart

They're not wrong, but Q3+ is likely to last a lot longer than either, will work in wider temperatures, are cheaper. The list goes on.

JustAnotherSquid

Not interested in running the Q3+. I'm already running an intermediate pace (and I know this from watching the intermediate group videos at VIR) and I'm going to get faster quickly.

You might be forgetting that I've done this before. ;)

Last edited:

bmart

Gotcha. Just pointing out that if you're after durability...you're going the wrong way. lol

If you want grip and durability in a slick/DOT rear race tire, see if you can get some Med or Med+ rears. I'll appologize that I bought most of their stock last fall in bulk. :)

For the fronts you'll be fine with soft or softer, as they still wear like iron. I'm getting 1k-1.8k miles on a front with a flip in the middle (worth tracking and measuring!).

I hope that some others chime in. You should ask Stickboy as he's a distributor for D's now.

JustAnotherSquid

Thanks, that's some good advice. I do want more durability but not at the expense of less traction. ;)

So given everything you said: I'll pick up a set of slicks at RA and mount them on the spare rims, but run Q4s until I'm out of Novice (just to be safe). (y)

Last edited:

JWilson

I run Pirelli Td. I’m a Pirelli fan boy 😂 I chose to avoid q4 because no one says anything good about life expectancy for a q4

i have metzeler racetec slick td in the garage to try. (No warmers). I expect this brand to get me through the season

s22 are on my gsxr and have done decent. This bike is a street bike.
My pace is whatever this out of shape 52 year old body can do at the time. That pace is anywhere from N to A.

Last edited:

bmart

Pirelli offers nice grip and almost the feedback of Dunlop, but longevity isn't anything anyone is going to talk about. lol

What group are you in, JW? I've tried Metzler and Michelin over teh years, but we never meshed.

Eric, what pressures are you running on old yeller?

JWilson

Advance N2
I PRE

1:42s at Vir probably go sub 1:40 next time there. Low 1:42-1:43 Cmp on s22. Probably a little quicker this year. RA not sure of my pace yet. It’s been 2 years and I was doing 1:49s there last time.
Metzeler TD slick is a newer tire.

JWilson

I’m not an expert. I’m just now starting to develop feel on what the bike and tire is doing. And I don’t think I’m a fast guy. I have video to prove I’m not.

bmart

ha ha! Each tire brand seems to develop certain characteristics (on purpose), and they seem to (mostly) hold true over time. Folks gravitate to the brand that matches them (I'm smooth and want constant feedback, for instance). I tried them all in the old days and have ended up a Dunlop guy, for the most part. Although the 250 has IRC and I can't fault them, or slide them, and they're dirt cheap.

The only brand I've slid the front on at the track is Michelin and I swore i'd never mount another of their tires. I used to run Metzler for durability, and BT-45s for their all around excelentness...until you leaned enough to ride off the the sidewall, really.

JustAnotherSquid

I run Pirelli Td. I’m a Pirelli fan boy 😂 I chose to avoid q4 because no one says anything good about life expectancy for a q4

i have metzeler racetec slick td in the garage to try. (No warmers). I expect this brand to get me through the season

s22 are on my gsxr and have done decent. This bike is a street bike.
My pace is whatever this out of shape 52 year old body can do at the time. That pace is anywhere from N to A.

I had never run Dunlops before a month ago, but decided to try them for my Glorious and Triumphant Return (said no one ever) because it's what the PRE and N2 vendors sell and support. Also because of bmart's strong recommendation of them.

I have to say the Q4 lives up to its billing. They heat up fast, stick well, and have good feedback. As for wear, I don't have a good read on that yet. Two days at RRR was enough to toast a rear, but in the Q4s defense the pavement there is pretty coarse and I was using lots of throttle mid-corner to make up for pathetically low entry speeds. Wear was much, much better at VIR. The rear looks like it could handle another three days there, easy.

The claim that they don't need tire warmers holds water, but I'm going to start using warmers on "low" anyway as they are still a bit greasy on the first lap. Crashing on cold tires is what ended my racing aspirations in 2002 and I want to do whatever it takes to avoid that going forward.

JustAnotherSquid

Pirelli offers nice grip and almost the feedback of Dunlop, but longevity isn't anything anyone is going to talk about. lol

What group are you in, JW? I've tried Metzler and Michelin over teh years, but we never meshed.

Eric, what pressures are you running on old yeller?

The Beemer, or the Gixxer?

bmart

The claim that they don't need tire warmers holds water, but I'm going to start using warmers on "low" anyway as they are still a bit greasy on the first lap.

Just run the warmers, minimally to warm the but more to be able to set the proper pressure at the same temp every time. :)