Dual Sport

AndyMX47

Riding a few chunks of the South Carolina Adventure Route and Trans America Trail this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, based out of Highlands NC.

Will take me a while to remove the cobwebs from my motorcycle. I'll try to take a few photos, unless KK wants to join as team photographer.

Screenshot below is from the South Carolina Adventure Route website with my fine edits.

1652794624695.png

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Ooooh that sounds fun! We'd ask if we could join you but we need to spend a fair bit of time this weekend getting ready for South on Monday.

bmart

Two bikes that use nearly no consumables...are you rewaxing your leathers? lol

AndyMX47

Once you are done waxing leathers (armor all the seats and grips too, it really helps) will you come over and help me find my cobweb covered bike? I think I own one, but not sure.

KrashnKaren

Riding a few chunks of the South Carolina Adventure Route and Trans America Trail this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, based out of Highlands NC.

Will take me a while to remove the cobwebs from my motorcycle. I'll try to take a few photos, unless KK wants to join as team photographer.

Looks like a lot of fun! Sounds like a blast but my camera services are needed at VIR South! :) Take pictures, we do want to see them!

boike333

Screenshot below is from the South Carolina Adventure Route website with my fine edits.

View attachment 1007
Ahhh man! I wish I had known sooner, but I am booked this weekend or I would have joined. If you want to book something a bit farther out I’d be more than happy to start looking at something.

JustAnotherSquid

Two bikes that use nearly no consumables...are you rewaxing your leathers? lol

Among other things, I have to swap out the Bridgestone slicks that I mounted seven months and six track days ago. Is that bad?

JustAnotherSquid

Once you are done waxing leathers (armor all the seats and grips too, it really helps) will you come over and help me find my cobweb covered bike? I think I own one, but not sure.

I used to Armor All the sidewalls of my motorcycle tires. Yes, really.

Glad to help you find your bike as long as you're willing to ride it when we do. :D

Last edited:

AndyMX47

Annnnd from "Dual Sport rides" to "Why are you changing track bike tires" in 3, 2, 1......gotta love forums.

I'll take photos and let folks know what these routes are like in case folks want to go in the future. Also thinking about a MABDR sections 1-3 redo in fall. That would be fun with our little group. About 4 days total.

AndyMX47

Forget that this video is about these guys getting a flat on Section 1 - they are doing a video log of the MABDR - Mid Atlantic Back Country Discovery Route. I did sections 1-3 last September. Unless I come up with something better or different, will probably do it again this fall.

JustAnotherSquid

Forget that this video is about these guys getting a flat on Section 1 - they are doing a video log of the MABDR - Mid Atlantic Back Country Discovery Route. I did sections 1-3 last September. Unless I come up with something better or different, will probably do it again this fall.

I I only skimmed that video, but those roads look like something that the 390 Adventure and the G650GS would be perfectly adequate for?

They will be wearing AX-41s after all.

AndyMX47

Yes, you could ride the MABDR (at least sections 1-3) on a street bike. There was some "deep" gravel in VA where they had recently maintained the roads, some quite rocky dirt roads in WV, and several relatively shallow water crossings in Section 3, but all manageable, all dirt roads, and all reasonably close to routes to go around. Our group was me on the 690, my friend Greg on a BMW F700 GS with worn out tires, and we had two others join us, one on a KLR650 (Bill from Michigan) and a 70-something year old named Mike from High Point on a BMW GS1200. Mike had done the ride several times and was super knowledgeable.

Navigating and finding your way to places to stay in the boonies was part of what made it fun for me, vs. riding short out and back routes from a single location or going somewhere for a day and riding in a big circle. You feel like you accomplish something when "you make it there".

The down side is you have to get back to the start somehow, so it becomes a multi-day out and back. This coming weekend will let me know what I think about a few days of out and back rides and loops vs a "trip".

Here's a link to the MABDR website: https://ridebdr.com/mabdr/

Edit: Realized I left out all-important tire info!!!

1. 690: AX-41s (what do you expect)
  2. Little Beemer: many year old, bald as a baby's bottom Heidenau K60's, rear so squared off it looked like a car tire, despite my urging the owner to put new tires on before the ride. He also wears BMW motorcycle sneakers instead of real boots, so - what do you expect?
  3. KLR650 - Kenda K270's that were probably $5 each (also what do you expect, it's a KLR guy).
  4. Big as a house Beemer: Michelin Anakee Wilds that probably cost $350 (finally, what would you really expect?).

Guess what? We all got there and had fun.

Last edited:

boike333

I’ve done 2-3 on the DRZ and had a blast! Andy have you ever done Iron Mountain out of Damascus? We could make a day ride out if it sometime if you want. It’s a real fun ride I am dying to do again.

AndyMX47

I’ve done 2-3 on the DRZ and had a blast! Andy have you ever done Iron Mountain out of Damascus? We could make a day ride out if it sometime if you want. It’s a real fun ride I am dying to do again.
I have not! Sounds like something I need to learn about! The last time we did the BDR we stayed in Damascus overnight before stage 1, really neat little town.

bmart

Watching later on! Thanks!

Watc hed. Looks within my skill level, except for the tire work.

Last edited:

AndyMX47

Ride report! Highlands NC is a beautiful place. We stayed at my gracious neighbor Greg's mothers home. The community is a resort community, so if you are planning on riding the Area, maybe look for places to stay in nearby Dillard GA.

Some pics:

You can't see it here, but Greg has a flat front tire. F.L.A.T. He had a little battery operated pump that we used to re-inflate it. We're pretty sure the cause was an Amazon "tire pressure indicator" valve cap that is green when good (whatever that means - 500 psi?) red when bad. It was red. I think they are designed to cause flats so you buy battery powered pumps. I suggested he discard the stupid little valve caps and use his brain, which told him his tire was flat, especially since he can't see the stupid little valve cap while riding.

20220522_102124.jpg

Lake Jocassee:

20220522_135621.jpg

2018 500 exc (Alan) 2017 690 Enduro (me) 2013 F700 (Greg). Interesting part - 500 weighs 230lbs, 690 weighs 330lbs, F700 weighs 480lbs. 500 was on full knobbies, 690 on 80/20 tires, F700 on Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires.

20220521_145417.jpg

Two nice guys on brandy-new CRF300L Honda's from Flo-Rida. The rally model on the left was 100% stock. I wasn't a fan of the metal gas tank, or the fact that it costs $750 more than the regular model, which is $5,400 new. The guy with the "regular" 300L had a pipe, ECU, Ohlins shock, and different fork springs. $3,000 of mods to a $5,400 bike. The stock one got 75 mpg. The modded one gets 50 mpg. Surprisingly these little puppies weigh 300+ lbs. Why do they have to be so heavy?

20220521_103054.jpg

Some of the roads were mostly dirt surface, with great traction. Some were hard packed with loose gravel on them - felt like riding on marbles. This is a mostly dirt segment. One thing I wished there were more of were water crossings - only one, and it was about 4" deep.

20220521_100936.jpg

A bit closer to the "ball bearings on a concrete floor" section, but still ok.

20220521_114334.jpg

Big tough dual sport guys. And a subaru. Later a family pulled up in a Ford Explorer. This was near a hiking trail. Tons and tons of camping and hiking trails in the Nantahala Forest. After that we saw someone in a C5 Corvette (admittedly the Corvette was on a smoother section of the dirt road, but still about 20 minutes from pavement.)

20220521_102804.jpg

Glenn Falls - you can walk behind them. Nice and cool back there!

20220520_161309.jpg

Yes, we brought the gravel bikes. Suffice to say I did a fair bit of climbing to reach this spot.

20220521_192917.jpg

And.....cleaned up and ready to switch to Supermoto mode for some NC mountain rides!

20220522_181650.jpg

We all got pretty competent at using Osmand to follow GPX tracks. Alan had his everyday Android phone, I had an old Kyocera Duraforce, Greg had an iPhone. I let Greg borrow my backup Kyocera for a while to practice, and it flew off his handlebars. He picked it up unscathed! Pretty impressive. Or just lucky. The phone flew off while Alan and I were getting in some "spirited" riding. We noticed no Greg behind us, so we turned around and back tracked. Very, very scary 5 minutes, as we rode for a mile with no sign of him. Turns out he had to go back quite a ways to pick up the phone!

Fun ride! Enjoyed the paved roads in the area too, lots of great twisties.

bmart

That looks awesome. We should plan more of that in that area in the fall.