Do you still have pictures of your first bike?

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
This is the only picture I have left of mine:

I bought it new (leftover) in 1986 from a Yamaha dealer in Stuart, FL for $2400 OTD. To this day, it is the most fun streetbike I've ever ridden. Not the best; not by a long shot. But definitely the most fun. I totalled it in 1988. :(

This is a great video if you want to kill a few minutes. He's pretty spot-on with all of his comments. Note how he constantly does unintentional power wheelies - the RZ hated having it's front tire on the ground. You'd go through five or six rear tires before you ever had to worry about replacing the front . :cool:

Do you still have pictures of your first bike?

Last edited:

KrashnKaren

2000 Suzuki GS500E.  It was tiny, tinny, and not confidence inspiring.  It was a tin can and I do not miss it.  But it led me to the F650CS which makes me so happy!

2slow

JustAnotherSquid said:
2slow, this one is for you:

That brings back some memories from waaaay back. It was quick in its day, in a straight line. It handled like crap with lousy breaks but I didn't know it at the time. Hell I was 16 and bulletproof. My guess is, it was not much worse than its contemporaries. It's a shame I have no pictures of any of my old bikes or cars for that matter. Didn't have a camera.

JustAnotherSquid

2slow said:
That brings back some memories from waaaay back. It was quick in its day, in a straight line. It handled like crap with lousy breaks but I didn't know it at the time. Hell I was 16 and bulletproof. My guess is, it was not much worse than its contemporaries. It's a shame I have no pictures of any of my old bikes or cars for that matter. Didn't have a camera.

Here is a really bad video to enjoy and/or regret watching. :cool:

Last edited:

2slow

JustAnotherSquid said:
2slow said:
That brings back some memories from waaaay back. It was quick in its day, in a straight  line.  It handled like crap with lousy breaks but I didn't know it at the time.  Hell I was 16 and bulletproof.  My guess is, it was not much worse than its contemporaries. It's a shame I have no pictures of any of my old bikes or cars for that matter.  Didn't have a camera.

Here is a really bad video to enjoy and/or regret watching.  :cool:

[video=youtube]

Yep.  Street bike #2. Had some problems with that one. All electrical. Left me standing on the side of the road more than once.  It sounded good and was comfortable but was slow.

JustAnotherSquid

KK, this one is for you. But it's also for me. The second street bike I ever owned was a 1989 GS500E, purchased new in 1989 in Reno, NV. It was fucking terrible and I don't quite know why I bought it. Something about it was just kind of ... irresistible.

(Ironically, or not, I was a Valet Parking attendant at the time.)

In addition to being terrible, the bike sat at the dealer for two months during the 600 mile service because one of the cylinders had been bored off-center. The dealer said "yeah that happens a lot". :derp:

I sold it to a coworker after six months and he loved it. :conf:

You'd think that that experience would have been enough for me to steer KK away from one in 2000. You'd think.

Anyway, can't disagree with much in this video. It is kinda funny that the video from "Men and Motors" is narrated by a woman, though.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Can a 1985 RZ350 beat a 2005(6) GSX-R 1000? The iconic Gixxer "K5"? No way!

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

KrashnKaren said:

2000 Suzuki GS500E.  It was tiny, tinny, and not confidence inspiring.  It was a tin can and I do not miss it.  But it led me to the F650CS which makes me so happy!

Looking at that picture reminds me how much we spent modifying that bike.  The Corbin seat, sport tires, fly screen, fork springs and fluid, rear shock, brake lines and pads ... we spent a fortune trying to make that bike decent, and failed miserably.

juncc

Super happy that bike sucked. I spend years regretting passing one of those up. I can let it go at last!!

JustAnotherSquid

juncc said:
Super happy that bike sucked. I spend years regretting passing one of those up. I can let it go at last!!

Yeah, you dodged a bullet with that one.  Suzuki may have sold GS500Es by the bushel, but it's only because they were cheap and not because they were good.

JustAnotherSquid

Oh man, the tariff bikes. The Yamaha FZ700 and Fazer 700, the Honda VF700 Sabre/Magna/Interceptor and Nighthawk S, your GS, and a bunch of others. That brings back memories.

I remember way back in '86 when Suzuki introduced the first GSX-R750 to the US. They basically said "if you want a GSX-R you'll pay the tariff". And people did, by the truckloads.

bmart

It was a time. The rumor mill was that the 750 was unrideable by mere mortals and the 1100..forgetaboutit. By today's standards tey would seem rough and underpowered. I still like the older stuff adn have two bikes with carbs, the newest a 2009, which I just picked up. I don't see the point in spending more than ~$3k to buy a bike I already wont' be able to exploit. :oops:

bmart

Is there a place to post pics and info about non-1st bikes?

bmart

2000 Suzuki GS500E. It was tiny, tinny, and not confidence inspiring. It was a tin can and I do not miss it. But it led me to the F650CS which makes me so happy!

I liked the GS a lot more than I liked the EX. I played mechanic for a friend who raced the EX500 and we spent a lot of time fixing it from crashes. That thing was built out of hinges.