Death of forums

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Yep, cell phones and Facebook killed all the forums.

One thing he didn't mention that also played a big part was all of the forums being bought up by companies like VerticalScope. They roll in, change the local template that everyone is familiar with to a shitty one they use across-the-board, kill the local community, and then try to monetize every part of the forum. Being bought out by one of the large media companies is pretty much a guaranteed death sentence for any forum - motorcycle or otherwise.

Personally I hate surfing on my phone and do it as little as possible. I don't even have my CMR account on it. It's an absolutely terrible device for displaying information. The PC Master Race is a thing. :D

There has been a small resurgence in forums lately and I think a lot of it is due to people souring on big social media.

AndyMX47

The older I get, the faster I was
There has been a small resurgence in forums lately and I think a lot of it is due to people souring on big social media.

I thought it was just due to grumpy old farts who say things like "f-book stinks".

bmart

Aside from most people on most forums being...well, a lot of negative things, our forum is pretty excellent.

My giant bug with forums is that the answers are buried in a sea of opinions. Pinning items helps, but it is rarely use, and surfing through 1000 pinned items is back to where we started.

AndyMX47

On that note, I have a question. Has anyone ever decided if Rotella is good oil or not?

bmart

I thought it was just due to grumpy old farts who say things like "f-book stinks".
In all fairness, everyone thinks that, we just get grumped at by future GOFs about it now.

bmart

On that note, I have a question. Has anyone ever decided if Rotella is good oil or not?
I remember trying it back in teh day, but it wasn't nearly as slick to shift as with Mobil 1.

AndyMX47

I remember trying it back in teh day, but it wasn't nearly as slick to shift as with Mobil 1.
Victory! 7 posts until derailment! All it takes is a question about tires or oil.

And, I agree - a bunch of the dirt bike guys "liked" it in 2-stroke transmissions. The shifting went from fine to horrible. Any oil with a picture of a motorcycle on the bottle was better.

JustAnotherSquid

Aside from most people on most forums being...well, a lot of negative things, our forum is pretty excellent.

My giant bug with forums is that the answers are buried in a sea of opinions. Pinning items helps, but it is rarely use, and surfing through 1000 pinned items is back to where we started.

Another mistake some forums make is that it's all about the community and not the technicals. By that I mean, a good community on terrible forum software will survive (if not ideally) but a great forum setup with no community is DOA.

Here at CMR we have both! :D

RocketDan

Can CMR be TapaTalk compatible?

And goods peeps make a good forum. And it’s called The Book Face

admin

Overworked and underpaid
Staff member
Can CMR be TapaTalk compatible?

CMR already has a mobile-friendly template and TapaTalk is pure evil. Yes, it can be done and if you really really want it we'll install it. Please please please don't make us install it. :D

boike333

God damnit I am very busy this week and can’t keep up with this too! I love CMR. Hate Facebook. Love Rotella when I can get it. Pirellis are good. SVs are the best bike until I have more money………and I am a future EOG. Now leave me alone!

And it’s TOE MAY TOE

Last edited:

bmart

You think that your vacation can stop us? Pah-lease!

Sounds like we need to start suggesting bikes boike should buy. I'll start us off.

Good lookin'!

Lovely bit of bike from the past of some of my pee-pole.

Yes! Parallel twin!

Truly brilliant to ride.

JustAnotherSquid

Yes! Parallel twin!

We've talked about our mutual love of that bike before! I've never ridden one but if they made a modern version of it (and no the R7 doesn't count - at all) I would buy it in a heartbeat.