Track Day CMP! OMG CMP Part 2!!! August 27/28 with N2

AndyMX47

Agreed! Not sure if you noticed the note I wrote myself and taped it below my tach was simply “BREATHE”.
Breathe and Relax are two good thoughts to keep in mind. As the cyclist who occasionally rides motorcycles, I have to tell myself this several times during our Tuesday night world championships. Relax my entire body - shoulders, arms, legs, pedal stroke - and take calm, deliberate breaths. Makes a huge difference in endurance and ability to concentrate on bike placement and cornering.

bmart

I did not! Did it help?

All tom-mockery(TM) aside, you were super smooth out there.

boike333

I did not! Did it help?

All tom-mockery(TM) aside, you were super smooth out there.
Thanks! Yes it did. It’s amazing how when your concentrating on being smooth and not fast, making sure your breathing now much easier it is to ride. Was I faster? I doubt it!

bmart

Even my bike looks good from that distance. (Karen't smile is twice as big as normal!)

KrashnKaren

Unsolicited Advice: Something that is pretty consistent when anyone is under "pressure" of performing physically like this is folks holding their breath. I can't remember a single "no" when I've asked folks to may attention and then report back. One of those many things we all try to focus on is breathing. I'd suggest that you may attention while doing your normal thing at your next day and see if a change to ensuring you're breathing well start to finish helps with endurance.

Yellow looks good on you two!

Thank you. At times I hold my breath and catch myself forcing an exhale mainly while exiting corners in preparation for the next corner.

Agreed! Not sure if you noticed the note I wrote myself and taped it below my tach was simply “BREATHE”.

I did notice your blue painter's tape with big black capital letters saying BREATHE! It's very simple and I'm sure effective! :)

bmart

We were talking about TDW a bit at CMP. I just did a quick count. They offer 22 days in 2022. PRE offered 23. Seems in line.

N2 is ~3x them in qty of days/schools available in 2022. Not terrible.

boike333

Question!
I can feel yesterday today in my legs and arms. Quads and especially on the inside of my upper knee where I grip the tank. And triceps.

Thoughts?

Will check in a couple days if JAS doesn’t poke and prod me like today!

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle

I'm not trying to, honest! Just doing the regular post track day "pictures and reflections" thing. Now get back to work! :D

Also, I think I pulled something in my thigh. Something in there has been twinging non-stop since yesterday morning. I usually don't get sore but when I do it's my thighs from picking myself up and moving side-to-side.

AndyMX47

Question!
I can feel yesterday today in my legs and arms. Quads and especially on the inside of my upper knee where I grip the tank. And triceps.

Thoughts?

Go for a walk. I make sure I walk (a whole mile) on all my cycling "off" days. Makes a huge difference in recovery for me.

bmart

Question!

Thoughts?

You were probably working hard! I can't draw a definitive connection, but I can tell you that with your head in the middle, and your butt off the side...all of your joints are going to be twisted and that will require you to engage a lot of muscles you wouldn't otherwise.

I used to come home in agony after every track event. Wobbly legs for days, shoulders and neck muscles on fire, etc.

Quads are likely from a lot of pressure on the foot pegs. For many years I've heard instructors talk about weighting the inner peg, outer peg, both pegs, etc. It might do something, but I stopped and apply only the pressure needed for reliable mechanical grip between the soles of the boots and the pegs. This will vary from person/bike combo. Nearly all of my weight is on the single cheek on the seat and moreso the inner thigh. Also, I sit pretty far forward, this removes nearly all of the weight that was on my arms (shoulders) and puts more weight on the front tire. I definitely ride the front more than the rear. I think that most folks are oppsoite, especially on the big HP bikes. (Dan?)

Nearly all of my muscle and joint pain from track days is gone. I can feel some muscle fatigue for 1-3 days, but nothing like the 'edge of ER visit' pain I used to feel. And....lap time dropped significantly too!

We typed a little about the importance of breathing. If you've had the misfortune of getting advice from me, you'll likely have heard about focusing on the contact points with the bike. This is a PITA to do when you're at speed, but if you slow down just a little to allow for that work, you'll likely be very surprised at what you find. And once you work on fixing those things, so many things get better!

(Also had a nice talk with Will about how we need to talk about trajectory more..so there's that.)

AndyMX47

My quads get sore from shifting my weight from side to side, like mini squats. Probably need to work on lifting my buttox off the seat less.

RocketDan

Glad everyone had a good time at CMP. Wish I could have gone, but too much going on. VIR was great yesterday.

Now that I’m caught up on the thread…. Relax and breathe!!! I find that deliberately exhaling in the braking zone helps me regulate my breathing. Helps me sink into the bike and not up over the bars.

Brad, on my big HP bike I still ride over the front mostly. I don’t push the front super hard, but I do sit close to the tank. Staying over the front helps keep the front wheel down. The main thing with the big HP bike is having to slow the sucker down. So leaning how to brace for braking is a big deal. I use the inside thigh of my outside leg to help support myself against the tank to keep me from putting my weight into the bars. It’s three points of contact.

1.Outside foot against the peg
2. Outside thigh against the tank
3. Outside butt cheek on the seat

And anyone who’s received BP feedback from me knows that I say to set this up before a braking zone.

Also, supporting your weight this way helps reduce fatigue on your quads and arms. Many people rely way too much on their inside leg to support their weight. This just wears your legs out. Then you start using your arms to help support your movements on the bike.

boike333

You were probably working hard! I can't draw a definitive connection, but I can tell you that with your head in the middle, and your butt off the side...all of your joints are going to be twisted and that will require you to engage a lot of muscles you wouldn't otherwise.
I will look through the pics and see what I can find.

Also had a nice talk with Will about how we need to talk about trajectory more..so there's that.)
What’s this about?

boike333

I’ll add some of these as I go through them, but please let me know what your thought are on body position!

Attachments

• 81EE3939-0D93-42D4-8DA9-00EFCFA744FD.png
    81EE3939-0D93-42D4-8DA9-00EFCFA744FD.png
    698.5 KB · Views: 4
  • E856F772-5CA4-4DDB-A3D3-AEF9A36989AC.png
    E856F772-5CA4-4DDB-A3D3-AEF9A36989AC.png
    737.4 KB · Views: 4

boike333

Couple more

Attachments

• 2721E2E6-9800-42B2-A82F-9A29D71FE35B.png
    2721E2E6-9800-42B2-A82F-9A29D71FE35B.png
    936.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 4DB4CCD3-DBB9-4902-B659-25259E2B4CBF.png
    4DB4CCD3-DBB9-4902-B659-25259E2B4CBF.png
    975 KB · Views: 6
  • 71CF833B-36BB-4C1A-87B7-0D3E78195A30.png
    71CF833B-36BB-4C1A-87B7-0D3E78195A30.png
    819.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 045FE937-0D6F-4EAB-A2E8-54B6A57BA095.png
    045FE937-0D6F-4EAB-A2E8-54B6A57BA095.png
    858.1 KB · Views: 5

AndyMX47

1661953652221.png

I clipped this guy from the Advanced group so you could compare. My $0.02 would be head lower and further inside, relax your shoulders so your outside arm is almost resting on the top of the tank in corners instead of up in the air, this will help keep shoulders square with direction of travel and have fun, because you look like you are on the right track. Beware this is advice from Ray Charles in the peanut gallery who wasn't even there , so is probably worth at least $0.02. At least it's free advice.

You can find plenty of b-mart and triple nickel JAS pictures if you want to see how you compare to the others on "Team Wet Blanket Forum".

AndyMX47

Many people rely way too much on their inside leg to support their weight. This just wears your legs out. Then you start using your arms to help support your movements on the bike.
Hi Dan! This is totally me!

How do I NOT rely on my inside leg too much to support my weight when I'm on the inside of the bike? I find I can lift my outside foot off the peg mid-corner if I feel like it, with my weight totally supported on inside leg, outside leg, maybe back of my outside leg against the side of the bike.

RocketDan

Hi Dan! This is totally me!

How do I NOT rely on my inside leg too much to support my weight when I'm on the inside of the bike? I find I can lift my outside foot off the peg mid-corner if I feel like it, with my weight totally supported on inside leg, outside leg, maybe back of my outside leg against the side of the bike.

It’s a little different for everyone. But you have to figure out how to get your outside leg locked between the tank and the peg. I move my outside foot so I can lock my heal on the peg which makes it easy to hold my inner thigh against the tank without having to use muscles. When I ride I can take my inside foot off the peg because I’m not using it to support my weight.
So my feet are moving constantly back and forth on the pegs between my heal and the ball of my foot.

Attachments

• 189B7270-4291-442B-8B29-A5688C599C22.png
    189B7270-4291-442B-8B29-A5688C599C22.png
    579.9 KB · Views: 4