Track Day CMP Friday 4/23 w/N2

bmart

Fun day. I coached 16 sessions...one ran without a flag being thrown. Race weekends in cool temps are tough.

I need to learn video editing...free.

Mostly stopped but:

2:30 queue Jaws music.

2:50 Ron gets enthusiastic.

3:00 Ron pulls pin on my puny track bike.

3:10 Captain mocks me.

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
It seems like it's been a rough start to the year for everyone! RRR had a fair number of crashes, VIR N had an even fairer number, RA was a crash-fest (present company included), and now CMP. Wow.

A few questions/comments:

1) Is #45 an older guy that repairs/paints fairings? If so, he was pitted across from us at RRR.
2) I bet that guy on the Beemer was so fast because he had heated grips. They keep your fingers nice and toasty even when it's cold out.
3) What group was that? That was a pretty aggressive warm-up lap. Well, starting around 2:45 it was.
4) Paved and numbered pits at CMP??? Holy cow it's like the future is here now!
5) Why did you tour the pits after? Were you looking for someone to chew out? :D
6) The hot pit looked like a bit of a clusterfuck. What's up with that?

BTW, I offer free in-home DaVinci Resolve tutoring. The tutoring is actually pretty bad because I'm not very good at Resolve, but if you're not 100% satisfied I'll give you double your money back!

Last edited:

bmart

Poor B-rad. All of the weight and none of the power. lol

Well, many starts to track seasons go like this. People mentally believe that they pick up where they left off. This is never true. There's always a step back before forward, even if it is one day after the other. The cold mornings don't help because people don't listen.

1) Is #45 an older guy that repairs/paints fairings? If so, he was pitted across from us at RRR. Yes, he is Ron Oyler and he's painted many bikes in the pits. He's also fast as F%#@ on anything he's on.
2) I bet that guy on the Beemer was so fast because he had heated grips. They keep your fingers nice and toasty even when it's cold out. Yea...no.
3) What group was that? That was a pretty aggressive warm-up lap. Well, starting around 2:45 it was. That was Intermediate and we were mostly crawling around. I never went fast all day; 10-15 seconds a lap off of my normal...and I'm slow. With so much downtime in the middle of sessions, we got a lot of first laps...
4) Paved and numbered pits at CMP??? Holy cow it's like the future is here now! It has come a long way and they're doing even more.
5) Why did you tour the pits after? Were you looking for someone to chew out? :D I had to hunt down and talk to a LOT of riders. I don't understand why some riders think that listening to a CR is optional. They seem to want to break the same rules over and over. Humans...the worst.
6) The hot pit looked like a bit of a clusterfuck. What's up with that? How so?

JustAnotherSquid

They just looked a little disorganized is all. No lanes, people weaving in and out of bikes, etc.

Tangentially, I totally get why track days are - and have to be - run they way they are. But I do miss the simplicity of the WERA open practices. There were no groups, or control riders, and when you wanted to go out you just rolled up to the Marshall. When the track was clear he'd wave you out.

I'm waxing nostalgic, I know.

bmart

We can't get people to use the language they grew up with, you think we can get a bunch of testosterone junkies to get in line where they can't talk to each other while they wait? lol

I'd be happy if people would stop saying "like" and "ya know."

JustAnotherSquid

Saw this on the WERA forums:

I wish the same could be said for Friday's N2 track day. I hadn't done an N2 track day previously and if Friday was representative, I am unlikely do another. Ok, the crashes and resultant red flags weren't caused by N2, but there were entirely too many riders on track in every group. Rather than the customary 3 groups, there were two Advanced groups, so four in all and only 15 minute sessions. I spoke to several riders in the Advanced and Intermediate groups and everyone agreed there were just too many riders, and it was nearly impossible to get an unimpeded lap or any sort of rhythm going. I best I got all day was being able to run up to 4 corners in a row before being balked. Yuck!

Not trying to stir the pot but am genuinely curious if there is any truth to that. It's the second time I've heard that there were too many riders at CMP on Friday.

bmart

If a rider has a hard time getting laps on a 2+ mile track with only 45 riders...they might want to consider frisbee. Race weekend track days tend to go like this. A lot of testosterone and you can't make them listen and do the things you tell them. Just human nature.