Track Day Carolina Motorsports Park *** Sat-Sun, May 8-9 *** P.R.E.

bmart

Use all of the works you like! lol

Road A was good. I didn't plan to go fast, and didn't. I coached 400+ miles and then drove home. I was completely spent last night and when I got up, but i'm getting energized a bit now. Good thing. I have to sort the bikes later today and head to NC Bike tomorrow. No rest for the weary! NC Bike rocks...

For CMP, I just drive back and forth each day. It really isn't that far. Some folks stay in Camden. You do not want to stay in Kershaw. I did that once. It was terrible.

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Haha thanks for the warning! Camden is a pretty decent town so we'll think about that instead.

JustAnotherSquid

Stumbled across this CMP video from last fall. It only shows two laps, and both were pit-out/warmup laps, but each one has a pretty big "wtf" moment. Those moments are clearly why the video was posted.

It's a good reminder not to be "that guy" (especially since I was!).

bmart

I called that yellow guy as soon as I saw him. lol But the first one makes little to no sense. it is nearly impossible to go off there unless you're Rossi or target fixating on the wrong thing... I suspect the latter!

JustAnotherSquid

The first one is a little hard to see, but it looks like he was trying to pass on the outside of the kink, didn't make it by, and got squeezed off. Guy he was trying to pass probably never even knew he was there.

I don't recall ever passing or being passed in the kink. If you're not racing, there's no reason to try ... especially with that sweet, sweet braking zone right in front of you. <shrug>

JWilson

So the yellow 2nd guy I'm guessing tucked the front with brake, hard to tell because he is out of view. I know the camera bike. He just had a bad get off racing at CMP at the kink. It is a very impressive photo of how high his R1 went.

I see more people runoff at the kink, wide at 14, and out of 3 into the grass. I have a tendency to turn in to early for the kink forcing me to scrub more speed than I should.

JWilson

The first one is a little hard to see, but it looks like he was trying to pass on the outside of the kink, didn't make it by, and got squeezed off. Guy he was trying to pass probably never even knew he was there.

I don't recall ever passing or being passed in the kink. If you're not racing, there's no reason to try ... especially with that sweet, sweet braking zone right in front of you. <shrug>
Once you get some speed for the group you're in passing safely is easy. Passing in the kink is foolish for anything other than racing or avoiding a collision. I have seen people park it there.

There are a lot of places to pass at CMP. I'm ok with following for just a bit and determining where I can pass safely.

bmart

JustAnotherSquid,

Back in the day, they disallowed passing at the kink at CMP and Road Atlanta. I wish that they would go back to that. Pass in one of those places and go home. It was easy. Anyone who wants to put others in danger at a fun and on-competitive event doesn't belong at a track day.

I ran the videos at .25 speed and you still can't tell much. I suspect that the first guy just ran out of room, or the guy in front braked first and he was just too close. No smart person puts themselves in that position doing something this dangerous.

Yellow looked like he was coming in too fast and at a trajectory that would put him in teh space place as the rider in front of him. Again, total bad decision making. He was a big of a jerk to squeeze in between the two riders in the prior corner. It is a lot closer than it looks like on the video.

JWilson,

Sorry to hear about yoru friend. Get-offs stink.

I bet that I haven't seen three guys go off at the kink in my 135 track days there. You really have to want to crash to drive off there. There is an enormous amount of room on both sides of the apex. There's still a bump at the apex, but it is less dramatic than before. A poorly set up bike, or riding with total crap riding skill can absolutely set the geometry into a tizzy. Still, there's usually time to get it sorted before the edge of the track. (Racing excluded, of course.)

Turn 3 is better now than before the repave. Like the kink, most people turn in way too early and from mid track, making it all much worse than it is.

I'm slow, so what do I know...

I still suck 9 times out of 10 in turn 1, and 6 times out of 10 at turn 8. The whole track is more difficult now without all of the visual cues.

My favorite passing places are the outside of turn 2, either side in the bowl, going into or out of 11, and either side in 12. I need some really slow riders to show you though. :rolleyes:

Hopefully we'll all be on the same track at the same time eventually.

JWilson

If we make it to the same track same time it will be CMP or VIR S. I'm not a big fan of S, but I might make a trip for N2's day there.

My last visit to CMP I could pass people at will outside of 2. This was shocking to me, but I was running sub 1:45s in I group. Anything below 1:50 in I at CMP you're catching traffic.

At the end of any straight you can pass in I or N, because most people coast into the turn or brake early. I'm not one of the fast guys either. Video proves this!

JustAnotherSquid

JW has a season pass to PRE, bmart doesn't like VIR N, RRR, or PRE, and I refuse to give TDW any of my money.

We're like three old ladies. If we pull this off it'll be a day worthy of the record books. :D

Last edited:

bmart

As I said before...if you really want it, I can give you info on most of these people that would make you stop doing all track days. Everyone has skeletons and it isn't my business. you could make the same arguement for every restaurant, store, internet site you go to. I ride where I want with whoever is running the day. PRE is really focused on VIR North/Full so they are my last choice. You are free to self limit, but it doesn't affect anything except for your own options. :)

JWilson

I agree everyone has skeletons. PRE has the schedule this year I couldn't pass on. I LOVE VIR N!!!!!!!;););):cool:(y)😂🤣I like they do 8 sessions most do 7. Other than that I ride based on who is where, my calendar, and where my friends are. Brad we both know Nick and Captain Novice(now Intermediate). We have spoken at CMP in the garages. I think this was an N2 TD.

My favorite TD org is Jennings. Why? because it is free of all the BS and surprisingly runs smooth. When I mention honor system the conditioning of you must have structure and rule enforcement to be completely safe on the track look suddenly appears. Yet, a Jennings self ran TD runs very smoothly and most do choose the right group.

JustAnotherSquid

I'd be up for a road trip to Jennings some time. Little Tally, too.

edit - and Moroso (PBI) and Homestead. But especially Moroso since I turned a few laps there on my RZ back in the late 80s and it would be awesome to see it again.

JWilson

I'd be up for a road trip to Jennings some time. Little Tally, too.

edit - and Moroso (PBI) and Homestead. But especially Moroso since I turned a few laps there on my RZ back in the late 80s and it would be awesome to see it again.
Jennings.........................I miss the days of just showing up, registering, and riding. I hope to make a day in the fall or winter.

bmart

JW, VIR runs 8:30-5:30. It isn't a PRE thing. Every group I run there with has 8 sessions. FYI.

JustAnotherSquid

bmart, if you decide to do CMP with TDW 5/15-16 please post a thread. I might relent and go down there for one day just to check it out.

bmart

Will do. I'd like to coach, but not excited abotu the mandatory arrival time. I need my beauty sleep. B bike is working. Had a bad spare fuel pump...

JustAnotherSquid

Good news about Big Orange! Or Orange Julius? Orange Crush? It needs a name! :D

Bummer about TDW but 100% understandable. What time do they want CRs to be there?

bmart

Coaches meeting at 6:45, so with getting up, showering, cooking, eating, driving and setting up beforehand, I need to be awake by 4. I'm not interested in that...

Unofficial name is Scruffy.