Canopies and Mathematics

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Since both topics were unceremoniously kicked out of the other thread, they need a new home. Voila! They have one!

EZ-UP has a decent sale on shelters this weekend. The Ambassador is $129:

And the Pyramid (I think this is what we have?) is $259:

Fun question: Theoretically, if you could fold a piece of paper in half as many times as you wanted, how many times would you have to fold it until it reached the moon?

Answer: When the moon is closest to the earth, it is 225,623 miles away. There are 5280 feet in a mile, so let's call that 1,191,289,440 feet.

Copy paper is about .004 inches thick. There are 12 inches in a foot so let's call that .0003 feet thick.

If you fold a piece of paper in half once, it's new thickness is .0003*2, twice it is .0003*2*2 or .0003*2^2, and three times it is .0003*2*2*2 or .0003*2^3. So in general:

For n folds, the thickness will be .0003*2^n.

We want to know how many times we have to fold it to reach the moon, so all we have to do is solve for n:

.0003*2^n = 1,191,289,440
2^n = 3,970,964,800,000
ln(2^n) = ln(3,970,964,800,000)
n*ln(2) = ln(3,970,964,800,000)
n = ln(3,970,964,800,000) / ln(2)
n ~= 41.85

Thus you would have to fold a piece of paper 42 times in order for it to reach the moon.

Last edited:

boike333

Canopies will be added to my list of things to do this track day off season.

bmart

Go 10 x 15 if you can, and get side curtains. It makes a huge difference.

AndyMX47

Since this has an element of math to it - I thought I would share something cool (or terminally depressing) from the cyclocross racing world:

The race predictor!

It tells you based upon past finishes against the people you are racing, and past finishes in general, where you are expected to finish your race:

1663091867103.png

Here's me - expected to finish 14th this weekend. Can I get my sign up money back? My son is expected to finish 5th in his race - Cat 3. If you click on a racers name, you can see past results, etc. It's pretty fun. The guy expected to win the Elite Men races world cup in Belgium.

Imagine if we had this for motorcycle racing?

JustAnotherSquid

Since this has an element of math to it - I thought I would share something cool (or terminally depressing) from the cyclocross racing world:

The race predictor!

It tells you based upon past finishes against the people you are racing, and past finishes in general, where you are expected to finish your race:

View attachment 1455

Here's me - expected to finish 14th this weekend. Can I get my sign up money back? My son is expected to finish 5th in his race - Cat 3. If you click on a racers name, you can see past results, etc. It's pretty fun. The guy expected to win the Elite Men races world cup in Belgium.

Imagine if we had this for motorcycle racing?

You're going to have to let us know how accurate it was after the race!

AndyMX47

And, as more people sign up - my predicted results are getting worse! Noooooo, please, more slow people sign up!

Now predicted to finish 16th of 28. I think I need to stop looking.

AndyMX47

So, a few more guys signed up....15th/30 Saturday, 17th/32 Sunday. Average finish....16th. How do they know? And Sunday was a battle down to the bitter end to salvage the 17th!

On a positive note, I'm pretty sure I was the highest placing CAT5 (1 is highest, 5 is lowest) AND the guy who was forecast to win finished 10th (take that, race predictor). Super fun racing, amazing course, great weekend with the boy, total win. My son finished 10th Saturday and 11th Sunday out of 20+ in CAT3.

bmart

Sounds like you had a great time! Use any canopies? :)

AndyMX47

Sounds like you had a great time! Use any canopies? :)
There were canopies (giant umbrellas really) in the spectator area with chairs set up by the promotors and sponsors. And a giant kiddie pool that Kyle got into after his race to cool off.

They do a fantastic job at this race at making it fun and spectator friendly.

AndyMX47

Roanoke Pro Kerry Werner's vlog from the weekend. My son rides with him most Tuesday nights, super nice guy.

He rides motorcycles as well as bikes, although he usually bikes everywhere. Funny enough, his Honda Ruckus lets him down in the video.

Anyway, if you watch these guys ride, the pace is absolutely ridiculous. My fastest lap was about 10 minutes. My sons fastest just under 9 minutes. These guys get down into the low 7 minute lap times. You'll see them run up a set of stairs in the course - the stairs are railroad ties. Imagine hopping off your bike with your heart rate at max and running up your stairs, bike in hand, two at a time. Now do that for an hour.

Oh, his dog Sherman is in the video too in case you don't care about bike racing. There are also several pictures of canopies, so we can stay on topic.

JustAnotherSquid

Roanoke Pro Kerry Werner's vlog from the weekend. My son rides with him most Tuesday nights, super nice guy.

He rides motorcycles as well as bikes, although he usually bikes everywhere. Funny enough, his Honda Ruckus lets him down in the video.

Anyway, if you watch these guys ride, the pace is absolutely ridiculous. My fastest lap was about 10 minutes. My sons fastest just under 9 minutes. These guys get down into the low 7 minute lap times. You'll see them run up a set of stairs in the course - the stairs are railroad ties. Imagine hopping off your bike with your heart rate at max and running up your stairs, bike in hand, two at a time. Now do that for an hour.

Oh, his dog Sherman is in the video too in case you don't care about bike racing. There are also several pictures of canopies, so we can stay on topic.

The red canopy at 0:36 looked pretty good. The ones at 2:10 had nice logos but were pretty basic. I couldn't really get a good look at the 4:43 one. I like the EZ-UP at 5:03. And the one at 8:30 is pretty big!

Having said all that, he made eggs and pancakes so shouldn't this be in the Culinary thread?

AndyMX47

The red canopy at 0:36 looked pretty good. The ones at 2:10 had nice logos but were pretty basic. I couldn't really get a good look at the 4:43 one. I like the EZ-UP at 5:03. And the one at 8:30 is pretty big!

Having said all that, he made eggs and pancakes so shouldn't this be in the Culinary thread?
So many choices! That's Kyle's friend Jack under the black bibs tent at 5:03! Kyle said Kerry eats pancakes every day, so yes, it definitely belongs in the culinary thread. Thanks for keeping me on track.