Boike’s and JAS’s (and anyone else’s) random questions thread that doesn’t want to start a new one!

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
No sir! But you might be able to talk me into cutting some graphics for you if you need any.

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
I know FBI was bought out recently and some of the staff was let go, but has anyone had anyone work done by them since then? I need to have the Ohlins shock on Princess resprung and refreshed (yes I've been riding around on a bike that is undersprung and underdamped, so sue me) and I was going to send it to them before I heard about the sale.

boike333

I have not, and I haven’t talked with Burch in a while either. I am not sure who exactly took it over or who remained after the sale. I have always heard good thing about Traxxion but not sure if they service Ohlins.

AndyMX47

The older I get, the faster I was
Send it to Ohlins headquarters in Hendersonville. Could even make a weekend mini vacation and hand deliver it.

bmart

What is FBI?

Thermosman is the best I've had. He's even diagnosed some very odd things for me...properly. Most places will work on anything. Traxxion and RaceTech have done good work for me too.

bmart

What did you paint it with? I go cheap with...whatever is in my cabinet already. Got mine done before this cold snap too.

boike333

What did you paint it with? I go cheap with...whatever is in my cabinet already. Got mine done before this cold snap too.
I got the best rattle can at the auto store. I’m not really worried about quality obviously, but do want to be able to replicate the color. And I don’t like to keep a bunch of random old paint laying around. I will sand all 3 coats and clear coat at least 2.

bmart

I used less effort and interest, knowing that they get so beat up and repainted every few years anyway. :)

Flipped some shifter nubbins.

20221010_200205.jpg

Cleaned some air filters.

20221020_215045.jpg

Painted and pinstriped some tails.

20221110_152409.jpg

Grey colors lowers with ugly blue insert (1 hour job I should have done by hand!) and color/white uppers.

20221128_155233[1].jpg

20221128_155243[1].jpg

Took a viscous coupling apart to see what was in there and how it worked (past tense...).

20221210_124944[1].jpg

Started KLX charging issue fix but my soldering gun lost interest in working with me...so maybe tomorrow (which is 3M clear sheet, CB-1 steering head check, finish KLX, saddlebag installation day. I really need my bench tops back!

20221210_202934[1].jpg

Fixed a Dremel. Half fixed another Dremel.

There's a long list.

boike333

I used less effort and interest, knowing that they get so beat up and repainted every few years anyway. :)

Flipped some shifter nubbins.

View attachment 1646

Cleaned some air filters.

View attachment 1652

Painted and pinstriped some tails.

View attachment 1647

Grey colors lowers with ugly blue insert (1 hour job I should have done by hand!) and color/white uppers.

View attachment 1648

View attachment 1649

Took a viscous coupling apart to see what was in there and how it worked (past tense...).

View attachment 1650

Started KLX charging issue fix but my soldering gun lost interest in working with me...so maybe tomorrow (which is 3M clear sheet, CB-1 steering head check, finish KLX, saddlebag installation day. I really need my bench tops back!

View attachment 1651

Fixed a Dremel. Half fixed another Dremel.

There's a long list.
Damn that paint looks good bmart! That’s rattle can?

bmart

Indeed. They're always yellow, orange, or blue...so I can reuse a lot of cans. I like the industrial look of the grey bottoms mroe than the black usually used. And the accents are just silly because I have no creative bones.

Clear from a can doesn't really hold up to what we're doing, and 3M sheet coating isn't much better, but it helps. So...it is a bit of balancing it looking nice before it is used and knowing a lot more effort doesn't yield longer lasting results, unless you're willing to pay a pro ~20-40x more for it...and I'm not. Damage from use and crashes just makes it not worth it to me.

Prior paintwork.

IMG_4920.JPG

My dad did this one for me, but rattle can also. Looked awesome!

scan0017.jpg

My much hated 750 my buddy bought from me. (It was like a fast schoolbus! More HP stock than Alan's modified!)

IMG_0564.JPG

boike333

Indeed. They're always yellow, orange, or blue...so I can reuse a lot of cans. I like the industrial look of the grey bottoms mroe than the black usually used. And the accents are just silly because I have no creative bones.

Clear from a can doesn't really hold up to what we're doing, and 3M sheet coating isn't much better, but it helps. So...it is a bit of balancing it looking nice before it is used and knowing a lot more effort doesn't yield longer lasting results, unless you're willing to pay a pro ~20-40x more for it...and I'm not. Damage from use and crashes just makes it not worth it to me.

Prior paintwork.

View attachment 1653

My dad did this one for me, but rattle can also. Looked awesome!

View attachment 1654

My much hated 750 my buddy bought from me. (It was like a fast schoolbus! More HP stock than Alan's modified!)

View attachment 1655
Did you dry or wet sand? And what grit?

AndyMX47

The older I get, the faster I was
Did you dry or wet sand? And what grit?
If ya'll want shiny clear from a can, get 2k clear epoxy. It is two part epoxy and much more durable than clear laquer spray paint. There is a button on the bottom you press to mix the two parts. Beware the can has a 48 hour shelf life after you've mixed it.

boike333

If ya'll want shiny clear from a can, get 2k clear epoxy. It is two part epoxy and much more durable than clear laquer spray paint. There is a button on the bottom you press to mix the two parts. Beware the can has a 48 hour shelf life after you've mixed it.
Oh cool thanks. Is this a available in standard Auto Zone type store?