Boike’s and JAS’s (and anyone else’s) random questions thread that doesn’t want to start a new one!

boike333

Hahaha! I hate Starbucks. I know I’ll be crucified for this but I am drinking free Starbucks coffee right now thanks to my daughter working there.

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Starbucks has it's place. When you're on the road and want a decent cup of coffee there's always a Starbucks nearby where you can pay too much and get something drinkable.

At home, free sounds like about the right price to pay. :D

boike333

Starbucks has it's place. When you're on the road and want a decent cup of coffee there's always a Starbucks nearby where you can pay too much and get something drinkable.

At home, free sounds like about the right price to pay. :D
Haha, yea can’t beat free.

bmart

Boike, do you have .GPX files for the sand area to share?

boike333

I’m sure I do somewhere and can dig them up, but Ive ridden down there for so long I don’t use a map. I think it’s best to just explore.

bmart

I wouldn't mind. I'm still not sure about this 8" of sand you speak of on my tires and low HP bike...and super unskilled rider.

boike333

Haha, I’ll point you to some good roads to explore. Let me know a few days before you go and we can get on a call and chat or meet halfway and get a bite. If your going solo I recommend a SPOT of some sort.

bmart

This would be for when we go. I don't care about the actual route, jut want to highlight the roads we'd be on in the area.

SPOT? No one wants me back...

boike333

The spot is so they can find you if they need to, not bring you back! Haha.

bmart

I suspect one of the companies that makes them is called "X"

JustAnotherSquid

Andy has repeatedly mentioned how big a fan of crash bars he is and how every bike should have them. I decided to take his advice and throw some on the GS. They look pretty good! And I'm pretty sure they've doubled the frame stiffness. Of course 0 x 2 = 0 but still.

IMG_0222.jpg

edit - now to cover every square inch of them with bolt-on LEDs...

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

The GS came with a Touratech Zega topcase as shown in the first picture. The other day I noticed the welds on the mounting rack were cracked as show in the second and third pictures. Touratech said they'd sell me a replacement at cost except that rack was discontinued a loooong time ago. The rack is made of stainless and should be easy to weld up but man I have no idea who to call about that. Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent, affordable welder in the Charlotte area?

IMG_5413.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

Last edited:

bmart

Try a quick search on Google Maps. There are many welders in our area. Harrisburg has quite a few that I've used. Many car repair shops will have one. Good luck!

AndyMX47

The older I get, the faster I was
The GS came with a Touratech Zega topcase as show in the first picture. The other day I noticed the welds on the mounting rack were cracked as show in the second and third pictures. Touratech said they'd sell me a replacement at cost except that rack was discontinued a loooong time ago. The rack is made of stainless and should be easy to weld up but man I have no idea who to call about that. Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent, affordable welder in the Charlotte area?

View attachment 1574

View attachment 1573

View attachment 1572
Marsfab offroad in Mt. Pleasant is a welding guru. He welded my aluminum MTB frame (back when I was slumming it - now 100% carbon) and the aluminum was as thin as a tin can. He's probably overkill for your rack though - that should be super easy for any welding shop. Martin Stutts welding on Route 49 does a lot of the contractor grade stuff on our projects.

boike333

This is pretty cool! And an ADV series from Honda as well?

AndyMX47

Yes! They are splattered around the US, but would like to do one of the dual sport and/or ADV events. I think there are ones in SC, NC, and VA.

boike333

Aren’t the ones in SC etc classes as hare scrambles and enduros? Are those different to the DS rides? Need to loo into it a bit more.

AndyMX47

Aren’t the ones in SC etc classes as hare scrambles and enduros? Are those different to the DS rides? Need to loo into it a bit more.
Not sure - I'm trying to learn more about them too. I think some are the same weekend as Enduro or HS races. Best part is learning about a bunch of different places to ride!