Boike’s and JAS’s (and anyone else’s) random questions thread that doesn’t want to start a new one!

boike333

So JAS provoked a serious thought and question I have thought about a lot lately. Why do we love to ride? What does it do for us? It’s not just adrenaline. It’s something that affects my whole perception afterwards, my mood, everything…. Thoughts CMR family?

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
So JAS provoked a serious thought and question I have thought about a lot lately. Why do we love to ride? What does it do for us? It’s not just adrenaline. It’s something that affects my whole perception afterwards, my mood, everything…. Thoughts CMR family?

That is a complex question! One I've actually thought about quite a bit. The long answer is that the love of motorcycling is a giant puzzle with lots of little pieces that fit together perfectly and I could ramble on endlessly about each of those little pieces. But if there is one thing that truly makes motorcycling great, and keeps me in love with the sport in all it's facets, it is heated grips.

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
On a more serious note, two big things stand out for me. The first is that, on a bike, you are out in the elements. You smell every little smell, feel every little change in temperature, and are more connected to the route you are travelling. It's one of the reasons I don't like trailering if I don't have to and yes, I know sometimes that backfires like it did yesterday. But it's a net positive in my book.

The other is that when you ride a bike you are working with it not against it. You lean into corners. You position your body such that you help the bike brake or accelerate or corner. In a car you are slammed forward under braking and back under acceleration. You are thrown to the outside of corners. Riding a bike well makes you feel in tune with the bike, the road, and the universe while driving a car fast feels like you are constantly fighting those things.

But then again,

lebowski-opinion1.jpg

KrashnKaren

I agree with you Boike! Here are my thoughts on riding...
  • Individual sport that can also be experienced with others
  • Challenges you mentally, emotionally, physically
  • You are close to life & death every second
  • Puts you in touch with God, nature, surroundings, smells, beauty, weather ... all senses are awakened
  • The conditions change by the second & you have to adapt on the fly
  • Stimulates your brain in all directions. When you complete a ride you feel a sense of accomplishment and wore out in a good way
  • It ignites a spark out of life that not many get to experience which makes you feel alive and challenged
  • The satisfaction of starting a ride, exploring and completing it that is exhilarating
  • Every motorcycle is different and offers a unique riding experience
  • It's a sport that demands respect or it will bite you back!

boike333

So with this lottery thing going overboard I have asked myself the same question everyone else is. I now have an answer, I would buy CMP and ride it any day I wanted to!

bmart

I think that I have 100 or so t-shirts, most about bikes, some about shooting. What size are you? FOX is another good course. Many have clearance too, so you can buy more!

Today didn't suck. Weekend looks grim. I did get into a bit of loose dirt, so that was new. More like the sand you're going to drag me too?

The grass was indeed greener.

20221104_114041.jpg

Cows in the roads. Cows.

20221104_114844.jpg

Tons of leaves, some sections with no road visible!

20221104_124239.jpg

And that pesky dirt that was put down to regrade. Some of it was 1'+ deep!

20221104_125957.jpg

boike333

Very nice! Nice ride! We will be venturing into 8+ inch sand so get ready to waddle!

boike333

Can I get some comments (hahaha) on how you feel about the Scorpion EXOAT950? I rally like the fit of Scorpions and have 3 of varying age. I guess my real question is how do you feel about modular helmets? On the track I get it but DS riding?

boike333

Can we please edit the “Coffee Shop” to read “ride to Starbucks and nowhere else on our BMWs’?

bmart

One of my other buds is refreshing an old '95 R1100R. Loo-na-tic.