Boike’s and JAS’s (and anyone else’s) random questions thread that doesn’t want to start a new one!

RocketDan

Mountain bikes are expensive! I could get a trials bike for that kind of coin.

I do have a bicycle. I used to do a fair amount of road cycling. Way back in the day I did some mountain biking. Had a Trek full suspension. I currently have a cross bike (what you call a gravel bike?) but rarely ride. I’ve been getting my exercise in the gym before work so an Assault Bike is mostly what I ride these days.

AndyMX47

Great ride Andy! Who can whistle while they mountain bike? Andy can! And he still has energy to ride! Yes, thank you for turning the pace to Novice level for us. :)
Super fun, really nice to ride with you guys. Not too hard, not too easy - perfect Friday ride. This will mean nothing to most people, but my normal TSS (training stress score) on a Friday ride is 50, and that was 39, so actually pretty good - got in a little workout but could still ride 41 miles gravel at Uwharrie today!

AndyMX47

I currently have a cross bike (what you call a gravel bike?) but rarely ride. I’ve been getting my exercise in the gym before work so an Assault Bike is mostly what I ride these days.
Gravel cycling is awesome. Hardly any cars, crazy descending, beautiful views, great exercise. Only bummer is you're driving a bit to get to the rides. I have a well worn Giant TCX cyclocross bike. Pic below from a trip the wife and I did on the New River Trail.

Attachments

• tcx.jpg
    tcx.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 5

bmart

Awesome! Let Andy and me help you pick a mountain bike! Andy will steer you towards something that is fast and I will steer you towards something that is comfortable!
Thanks, but definitely not my bag. Most of my mountain bike friends stopped for the same reasons I'd not start. lol Have fun!

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
I was just up on their website and they make some pretty nice looking bikes! Did you get the Cross 30 or the Cross 40? They both look like great choices!

boike333

I got the Aspect.

Attachments

• 2BB5580A-364B-4C77-9C37-21D285249F55.jpeg
    2BB5580A-364B-4C77-9C37-21D285249F55.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 4

JustAnotherSquid

Sweet! Scott is calling that a hardtail mountain bike. Looks like the frames are very similar between the Cross and the Aspect with the main differences being that the Aspect has a longer-travel fork and much shorter gearing.

Now that you have a mountain bike are you ready to hit some trails? I'm sure we could talk Andy into meeting us at Sherman Branch!

boike333

Sweet! Scott is calling that a hardtail mountain bike. Looks like the frames are very similar between the Cross and the Aspect with the main differences being that the Aspect has a longer-travel fork and much shorter gearing.

Now that you have a mountain bike are you ready to hit some trails? I'm sure we could talk Andy into meeting us at Sherman Branch!

Haha, this is funny….so I got this because it was a step down from a true mountain bike, at least in price. I did so also because I know I can’t dedicate any more time/money to hobbies like mountain biking. So yes, as long as it doesn’t make me choose motorcycle day or mountain bike day!

JustAnotherSquid

A few links for you to digest in preparation!

boike333

Haha, thanks I’ll give it a read! I might try a spot over by the airport too, forgot the name. I used to DS there be for it was built for MBK