Boike’s and JAS’s (and anyone else’s) random questions thread that doesn’t want to start a new one!

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Haha, well I can’t say I’ve had mine go to sleep during a workout, but…….hahahaha. Got it! No upright machines.

If it's not a problem you've already experienced, and you've spent your fair share of time on exercise bikes, then I wouldn't worry about it.

JustAnotherSquid

Our house has vinyl siding with wood trim. The wood trim is due for painting and some of it needs to be replaced.

For decades we had a guy that did great work and charged a fair price but he moved and doesn't like to do work in Charlotte anymore. Does anyone have a guy?

boike333

Our house has vinyl siding with wood trim. The wood trim is due for painting and some of it needs to be replaced.

For decades we had a guy that did great work and charged a fair price but he moved and doesn't like to do work in Charlotte anymore. Does anyone have a guy?
I have never found a painter I like except for me and I don’t like doing it either!

AndyMX47

So are names like Trek, REI, and Cannondale bad names? Just trying to get a feel for what I am looking for, 500-1000 range.
Talk to Charles at Excite Bikes in Locust - he sells lots of entry level bikes and can definitely tell you what gets the most bang for the buck.

Canyon makes great bikes and sells direct, their entry level hard tail is $1300.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mounta...n-7/2617.html?dwvar_2617_pv_rahmenfarbe=BU/BK A comparable Giant, Scott or Trek would be $1500.

Be ready for sticker shock....my carbon hard tail is considered "an entry level race bike": https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/product/scott-scale-925-bike?article=286320010

I really wouldn't bother with a separate "exercise bike" and would go with a trainer and Zwift. That way you get used to riding the same bike, only buy one bike, etc. There's a reason there's a billion used exercise bikes on craigslist and FB marketplace.

JustAnotherSquid

I have two carbon full suspension enduro bikes - a Transition Sentinel and a Guerilla Gravity The Smash. If I had to pick one it would be The Smash for sure. The Sentinel is cool but weird. But the main reason I like enduros so much is I'm a big guy with short legs and a long torso (relative to my height) and enduros fit me great - but they might be a bad choice for a more "normal" person. I went through four mountain bikes to get to this point:

And I went through four road bikes to get to this point:

And two cruisers to get to this:

I'm pretty happy with my current mix and don't plan on changing any time soon unless I get bored and decide to buy another Roll, now that the top-of-the-line Roll has a 1x drivetrain.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

I have never found a painter I like except for me and I don’t like doing it either!

Some of our wood trim is over forty feet above ground level and I'm not painting that! It's not that I'm scared of heights it's that I'm clumsy and allergic to pain.

AndyMX47

I have two carbon full suspension enduro bikes - a Transition Sentinel and a Guerilla Gravity The Smash. If I had to pick one it would be The Smash for sure. The Sentinel is cool but weird. But the main reason I like enduros so much is I'm a big guy with short legs and a long torso (relative to my height) and enduros fit me great - but they might be a bad choice for a more "normal" person. I went through four mountain bikes to get to this point:
Thread derailed, but if you like bikes like these, you would love riding at the Canmore Nordic Center.

Best vacation we ever took was a week long stay in Canmore BC, where my son and I rode at the Nordic Center everyday on rented Rocky Mountain full suspension bikes. The scenery, dirt, and trails were unbelievable.

The "black coal chutes" trail was so steep you couldn't see the trail for about 50 feet when you were at the top looking over the edge. I sent my son first. Total faith when you dropped in.

Oh, the park is in a "wildlife corridor" which means you may get eaten by a Grizzly Bear or Cougar, but that doesn't seem to happen often.

boike333

WOW! Thanks for all the responses JAS and Andy! All taken in. I still don’t understand why these damn things are so expensive!

So it is harder to buy a new bicycle than a motorcycle or car?

boike333

Thread derailed, but if you like bikes like these, you would love riding at the Canmore Nordic Center.

Best vacation we ever took was a week long stay in Canmore BC, where my son and I rode at the Nordic Center everyday on rented Rocky Mountain full suspension bikes. The scenery, dirt, and trails were unbelievable.

The "black coal chutes" trail was so steep you couldn't see the trail for about 50 feet when you were at the top looking over the edge. I sent my son first. Total faith when you dropped in.

Oh, the park is in a "wildlife corridor" which means you may get eaten by a Grizzly Bear or Cougar, but that doesn't seem to happen often.
I would seriously like to get into that type of stuff. Just comes down to how many hobbies can one person really have? Have you gone up and done Snowshoe? I’d love to ride up and ride down!

AndyMX47

I would seriously like to get into that type of stuff. Just comes down to how many hobbies can one person really have? Have you gone up and done Snowshoe? I’d love to ride up and ride down!
I have not done Snowshoe. I have done lift serviced trails in Michigan. They are fun, but the downhill stuff gets pretty gnarly quick. Things look a lot different from between a set of handlebars!

AndyMX47

I still don’t understand why these damn things are so expensive!
They're this expensive because that is how much we will pay. I think I need a carbon hard tail to win local races. Eric needs a 140mm enduro bike to ride Mazeppa. We're dumb. We pay. It's fun. We pay again.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Sorry, didn't mean to short change you on the travel! Let me know the next time you guys want to ride. Any place, any pace, any distance, I just love to ride!

We admittedly haven't done much riding since we started doing track days. I think the last time we went mountain biking was when we texted you! That's sad I know.

We are talking about going to North Meck this afternoon though! We would love to ride with you but you will only see us at the trailhead as we're ... well ... let's just say it's like we showed up to a track day riding stock Road Kings.

AndyMX47

Let me know what time if you do decide you want company - Friday is an "easy" cycling effort day, so slow is fine. I'd just love to get out and do a social ride with you guys. Otherwise I'll be riding in my living room.

JustAnotherSquid

Let me know what time if you do decide you want company - Friday is an "easy" cycling effort day, so slow is fine. I'd just love to get out and do a social ride with you guys. Otherwise I'll be riding in my living room.

Alright Andy, neither Karen nor I are even remotely prepared physically, mentally, or emotionally for North Meck (lol) but what the hell. Let's do it!

IMG_9956.jpg

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Andy, you are a gentleman! Thanks for slowing down so we could keep up for ~7 miles of rooty trails. It must have been hard to ride that slow.

On the way home we stopped to pick up a pizza from a place that we used to go to all the time but which has fallen off our radar for reasons I do not know: Mama's Pizza Express. That was some pretty good pizza! Honest, well-executed, and delicious. If you haven't tried it before you should! Brad I'm looking at you!

KrashnKaren

Great ride Andy! Who can whistle while they mountain bike? Andy can! And he still has energy to ride! Yes, thank you for turning the pace to Novice level for us. :)